Iowa Football: The Fake ID of College Football

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
If we're being serious, how is West Virginia a "mediocre" program? They are a better program than most you listed in "pretty good but not great".

Also, OU is a Top 10-15 team? Now you're just really reaching.

Since WVU joined the Big12, they are 36-28. The following BigTen teams have a better winning % over that time.

Minnesota

Northwestern

Iowa

Michigan

Penn St.

Nebraska

Wisconsin

OSU

That would put them 9th in the BigTen. In the Big12, they are 6th, putting them in the bottom half of the Big12 as well.

They are by definition below average in both leagues.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
So the fact that year in and year out ISU's SOS is almost always tougher than Iowa's is nonsense?

The facts are always tough things to wrestle with for Iowa fans it seems. And no, I'm not saying Iowa would only win 3 games with ISU's schedule. As I said, Iowa is the better team. But instead of going 12-0, they might go 8-4 or 9-3, still a very good season and I would LOVE for ISU to win 8 or 9 games, that would be awesome.

Iowa has a lot to be proud of with what they've accomplished in football, no doubt, it's just that in some of their better years, they've had less than stellar schedules.

ISU schedule is not year in and year out better than Iowa's. Last year Iowa's was better in most rankings.

Plus just 6 years ago ISU was in the absolutely easiest division in all of college football. They consistently played one of the easiest schedules for a long time. Heck even ISU fans still rip on Mac winning 7 games all the time saying the schedule was a joke.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah I think he was the second highest rated QB on NFL boards at one point. Before the season and his drop in numbers and production. 49ers obviously saw through all that and liked him enough to trade up and take him in the 3rd. Good for him. Kid's a winner.

Kids a winner and he still lost to FCS teams at home. I'm excited to see the future after losing him

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Since WVU joined the Big12, they are 36-28. The following BigTen teams have a better winning % over that time.

Minnesota

Northwestern

Iowa

Michigan

Penn St.

Nebraska

Wisconsin

OSU

That would put them 9th in the BigTen. In the Big12, they are 6th, putting them in the bottom half of the Big12 as well.

They are by definition below average in both leagues.

Are you comparing WVU and a real schedule vs Big Ten teams? Lol

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Replacing that 5th round DB is going to be the toughest one IMO

Yeah probably. What a steal that guy was, good to see that Chargers fans are so pumped about that value. Manny and Josh will probably turn into solid CBs but this season will be a learning experience.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Replacing that 5th round DB is going to be the toughest one IMO

Staying at Iowa another year cost him millions. But I do give him credit for staying. I'd like to see more kids do that. You can never get your college years back. Best times of my life.

• Agree
Reactions: ameslurker

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Uhhhh, what am I missing here? Where does it say in that article that King would have been a 5th round pick last year too?

He won the Thorpe award as the best DB in the land. He was dumb, in a financial sense only, to come back for his senior year. He would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick at worst last year, maybe even late 1st round.

I still can't believe how Iowa fans can't admit he would have been drafter higher last year. How can you improve on winning the Thorpe Award? You can't. You can only go down, unless you win it a 2nd year in a row which was extremely unlikely.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Didn't think you had one. Him coming back cost him millions, anyone with a brain knows that

He was projected to be a 2-3 rd pick and slipped to the fifth round. He was projected as a 2nd-3rd rounder last year as well, he would have fallen then too.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He was projected to be a 2-3 rd pick and slipped to the fifth round. He was projected as a 2nd-3rd rounder last year as well, he would have fallen then too.

Ok, so you're admitting that Hawkeye fans had overrated him for all these years then, right?

Because a lot of my Hawk friends were telling me for 2 years now that he was a 1st or 2nd round talent, but now you're admitting that he was nothing more than a 5th rounder all this time. Gotcha. Poor Desmond King, even his own fans didn't think he was ever more than a 5th round guy.