Iowa loses Cade McNamara

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I'm not sure it's the best thing for Iowa that he comes back next year. A really mediocre QB who probably chews up a ton of NIL dollars and delays the development of their future. And that's just fine by me.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Probably some of that but also there is some injury risk involved too. Not only for his Iowa playing days, but also his NFL future. I would love to see him get a shot on offense, but at the same time it would suck to see him get hurt on offense.
I've been saying this for two years. Not having a handful of packages on offense for DeJean is insane. He is the most dynamic player Iowa has had in a LONG time. Nothing new, Kirk can do whatever he wants. He's been gifted multiple wins a year for several years based on playing in a turd division that gets to slap the "we're in OSU, Michigan and PSUs conference" label on his resume.

If he decides he's going to stick around for another few years to try to rehab Brian's reputation as a coach, he's going to set that program back. Kirk is the most successful snake-oil salesman this state's ever seen. Kirk's done what he can to help many less fortunate, most notably Brian, Satterfield and Everson. So he deserves some credit for helping those guys out for a mere few million a year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm not sure it's the best thing for Iowa that he comes back next year. A really mediocre QB who just delays the development of their future. And that's just fine by me.
I agree with CW's assessment on 2GNC Monday, Cade should transfer to a program where he can be featured. He's got one season left to showcase his talents for the next level. As of right now, I doubt he's even a UDFA/Practice Squad guy, and another year at Iowa doesn't probably do a whole lot for that.

Think JT Daniels with Cade, who has played for blue bloods over his 6-year collegiate career (and West Virginia), but is going to finish it out playing at Rice, where he is currently tearing it up statistically.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I agree with CW's assessment on 2GNC Monday, Cade should transfer to a program where he can be featured. He's got one season left to showcase his talents for the next level. As of right now, I doubt he's even a UDFA/Practice Squad guy, and another year at Iowa doesn't probably do a whole lot for that.

Think JT Daniels with Cade, who has played for blue bloods over his 6-year collegiate career (and West Virginia), but is going to finish it out playing at Rice, where he is currently tearing it up statistically.
If he’s getting another $600k makes it a tougher decision I think.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
@Gonzo @SplitIdentity @iahawks and any of the normal Hawkeye fans I may have missed, whats your take on this being Kirk's final season coaching? I feel like he's not really enjoying it much anymore, a lot like Gundy. You guys are closer to the situation than I am though

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
@Gonzo @SplitIdentity @iahawks and any of the normal Hawkeye fans I may have missed, whats your take on this being Kirk's final season coaching? I feel like he's not really enjoying it much anymore, a lot like Gundy. You guys are closer to the situation than I am though
I don't feel that way. I feel he is still the same and likes being around the team. But nothing would surprise me either.

Just glad that Barta is gone if and when KF does decide to retire. Didn't want him making the next hire.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You
I've been saying this for two years. Not having a handful of packages on offense for DeJean is insane. He is the most dynamic player Iowa has had in a LONG time. Nothing new, Kirk can do whatever he wants. He's been gifted multiple wins a year for several years based on playing in a turd division that gets to slap the "we're in OSU, Michigan and PSUs conference" label on his resume.

If he decides he's going to stick around for another few years to try to rehab Brian's reputation as a coach, he's going to set that program back. Kirk is the most successful snake-oil salesman this state's ever seen. Kirk's done what he can to help many less fortunate, most notably Brian, Satterfield and Everson. So he deserves some credit for helping those guys out for a mere few million a year.
You forgot his SIL Tyler.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
JMO but I wouldn't bet on it. I would welcome it, but don't think it'll happen. But I don't think he has more than a few more years left at most. As of next season the West will be gone and we'll be getting, at the very least, a 3-team combination of tOSU, Michigan, PSU, USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA on the schedule every season. He's not going to like taking several extra L's every season, and he's not going to like regular west coast road trips.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Wisconsin will provide an opportunity IMO. With their new version of air raid offense, they are no longer a ground and pound eat the clock type of team. I think Iowa will give up a lot of points to them, but consequently I think just due to sheer number of possessions they will have in that game, they should be able to at least get to 20. This years Iowa/Wisconsin game will not be your fathers Iowa/Wisconsin game IMO
Really does hinge on Wisconsin putting up points. I still think the Badgers have a sound defense and you know Iowa isn't changing anything. If Iowa's "run 3 1/2 yards and fall down offense" can keep the chains moving they will limit possessions. Precisely why Cade's injury isn't as painful as it would be most other places. I'd agree that 20 for Iowa in that game is very realistic.

Hard to know what to make of Wisconsin yet, and the jury is still out on whether Penn State is THAT good or if it was just a major off week for Iowa.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
JMO but I wouldn't bet on it. I would welcome it, but don't think it'll happen. But I don't think he has more than a few more years left at most. As of next season the West will be gone and we'll be getting, at the very least, a 3-team combination of tOSU, Michigan, PSU, USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA on the schedule every season. He's not going to like taking several extra L's every season, and he's not going to like regular west coast road trips.

Kirk is gonna pull a Hayden and end up staying a little too long. The new B1G is NOT gonna be kind to Iowa unless they somehow continue to get scheduling break after scheduling break. I assume Iowa will also lose one of their three protected rivals as well with UW and Oregon joining.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Kirk is gonna pull a Hayden and end up staying a little too long. The new B1G is NOT gonna be kind to Iowa unless they somehow continue to get scheduling break after scheduling break. I assume Iowa will also lose one of their three protected rivals as well with UW and Oregon joining.
Probably. Iowa won't get any scheduling breaks. Before UO and UW joined, the scheduling system they announced had every team in the conference playing every other team at least 2 times every 4 years. They're going to have to adjust obviously, probably do away with some protected rivals, but I'm pretty sure they're going to try keeping something like that previously announced scheduling system in place.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Which is exactly why the current Hok offense is going to be a big issue in the future when playing teams like Oregon, USC, Michigan, Ohio State,Washington, etc that can easily overcome the Iowa defense. Just making a bowl game every year may be a big problem for that fanbase, regardless of who is coaching. Enjoy the increased revenue, and watching the Cyclones in whatever bowl game they are playing in.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Probably. Iowa won't get any scheduling breaks. Before UO and UW joined, the scheduling system they announced had every team in the conference playing every other team at least 2 times every 4 years. They're going to have to adjust obviously, probably do away with some protected rivals, but I'm pretty sure they're going to try keeping something like that previously announced scheduling system in place.

I agree. The reason I called out the third protected rivalry is because Iowa is the only team with more than two.