Iowa Speedway IndyCar Weekend

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I remember when Indy car made their first appearance in 2007 at the Iowa Speedway, I sat with some friends in row 6. We didn’t bring hearing protection and this was when the cars were naturally aspirated. My ears were ringing for days. Haven’t been to a race since they went to V6 Turbos so not sure how loud they are these days. But bring some foam ear plugs just in case.
Like Curt said, you will get a great idea of their speed sitting down that low.
I’m planning on bringing my gun range headphones but was curious as my sister is just doing the foam ones. Anyone else have an idea about noise? We went to a NASCAR race at Kansas once and got the radio things but wasn’t sure with the different type of car. Just want to be prepared.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I’m planning on bringing my gun range headphones but was curious as my sister is just doing the foam ones. Anyone else have an idea about noise? We went to a NASCAR race at Kansas once and got the radio things but wasn’t sure with the different type of car. Just want to be prepared.
They aren't bad. I go without hearing protection at the Indy 500 when not listening to the radio. Foam would be sufficient in my opinion unless someone has abnormally sensitive hearing.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
FWIW, we've been going to Indy for like last 15 yrs. - I recommend good hearing protection (more than foam plugs).

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I remember when Indy car made their first appearance in 2007 at the Iowa Speedway, I sat with some friends in row 6. We didn’t bring hearing protection and this was when the cars were naturally aspirated. My ears were ringing for days. Haven’t been to a race since they went to V6 Turbos so not sure how loud they are these days. But bring some foam ear plugs just in case.
Like Curt said, you will get a great idea of their speed sitting down that low.

Earplugs are for amateurs LOL

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

"Huh? Beg your pardon. Beer mugs are for armchairs?"

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sounds like Newgarden collapsed after a medical evaluation and is now in the hospital.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Why doesn't the IRL race at Michigan anymore? MIS always has great racing regardless of the type of car. Super fast and lots of grooves.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I never wore ear plugs for dirt races but when I went to the NASCAR race at Iowa Speedway, the noise just hammers you. Don't know about Indy cars. Turbos should be quieter than open headers.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Crazy how they talk about taking your hands off the wheel and bracing your body (in a split second).
Years ago an Iowa dirt racer was making steering wheels with a disk in the middle after he broke his thumb in a wreck.

longdriveforsom

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 2, 2008
San Diego,CA
I was planning on going to this again this year, but they have priced everything so high it's ridiculous. $150 for "cheap seats". Went to both races last year for less than $300. It doesn't look like they have sold a lot of tickets

Reactions: ianoconnor

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I was planning on going to this again this year, but they have priced everything so high it's ridiculous. $150 for "cheap seats". Went to both races last year for less than $300. It doesn't look like they have sold a lot of tickets
Exactly. I wanna go just for the race, I don't give a crap about any of the concerts that make the price so high.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
They brought in way too many big concert names to make race tickets affordable.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Exactly. I wanna go just for the race, I don't give a crap about any of the concerts that make the price so high.
Same. Unfortunately we aren't the target market.

I think we'll probably take the kids out Friday - tons of free stuff happening including practice, NXT qualifying, autograph sessions, etc.

Reactions: tim_redd

longdriveforsom

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 2, 2008
San Diego,CA
I want the track to survive and would love to have a couple of nascar weekends again but they have to understand we are a state of cheapskates that won't go if we can't justify the price

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt