Iowa Speedway IndyCar Weekend

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I want the track to survive and would love to have a couple of nascar weekends again but they have to understand we are a state of cheapskates that won't go if we can't justify the price
The reality is that racing only has already failed here so it's now pretty much a concert with a race.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
You all are welcome to go up

Which is weird because the track is awesome for racing.
I’m surprised it hasn’t done better than it has. Granted it’s been 22 years since I lived in Ogden as a kid, but the Boone raceway was always packed on Friday or Saturday nights (don’t remember which) with standing room only. Then there was Knoxville and a bunch of other places throughout the state.

Has the racing scene in Iowa decreased generally, or just for these more expensive circuit-type events?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I was planning on going to this again this year, but they have priced everything so high it's ridiculous. $150 for "cheap seats". Went to both races last year for less than $300. It doesn't look like they have sold a lot of tickets
Found this on Reddit, click the "Unlock" button before you select your seats and enter the code 'penske' and it takes 50% off it looks like.

I didn't actually buy tickets and know nothing about the code, but it changed the prices of tickets from $150 to $75 at least, so worth a shot if you wanted to go.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I’m surprised it hasn’t done better than it has. Granted it’s been 22 years since I lived in Ogden as a kid, but the Boone raceway was always packed on Friday or Saturday nights (don’t remember which) with standing room only. Then there was Knoxville and a bunch of other places throughout the state.

Has the racing scene in Iowa decreased generally, or just for these more expensive circuit-type events?
I wouldn't say the racing scene has decreased. In fact I'd argue the dirt track scene has increased, which is part of the Iowa Speedway problem. The racing diehards who go to dirt tracks every weekend are going to their dirt track rather than spending the hundreds of dollars to go to the Indy race.

Take me for example I have a big race at Husets Speedway in SD on July 21/22. I'm heading up there on the 20th so I will be up there racing instead of going to the Indy race in the town I live in. This race in Husets will also draw many race fans from Iowa too.

longdriveforsom

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 2, 2008
San Diego,CA
Found this on Reddit, click the "Unlock" button before you select your seats and enter the code 'penske' and it takes 50% off it looks like.

I didn't actually buy tickets and know nothing about the code, but it changed the prices of tickets from $150 to $75 at least, so worth a shot if you wanted to go.
Can confirm this works. Thank you for finding that

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If you are hungry they have a food truck area. A friend/client/fellow racer of mine is going to have his food truck there - Kickin Chicken

He told me Indy rules require this to be a cashless event, just an FYI.
Interesting on the 'cashless' part. Is that due to past robbery/police intervention? I can see that taking the cash out of the equation would more likely insure a 'clean' race?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I wouldn't say the racing scene has decreased. In fact I'd argue the dirt track scene has increased, which is part of the Iowa Speedway problem. The racing diehards who go to dirt tracks every weekend are going to their dirt track rather than spending the hundreds of dollars to go to the Indy race.

Take me for example I have a big race at Husets Speedway in SD on July 21/22. I'm heading up there on the 20th so I will be up there racing instead of going to the Indy race in the town I live in. This race in Husets will also draw many race fans from Iowa too.
Knoxville and Husets try to adjust their schedules to allow local drivers to both. That‘s kinda neat.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021

The Pandemic really helped dirt tracks in Iowa. Attendance at Knoxville has increased the last two. Years. Also, I would compare Newton with the University of Utah. Both are waiting for invitations to the big dance (Nascar and Big 10) which ain’t happening. Meanwhile just down the road from both, there are entities that have cashed in big time. And they are jealous.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Apparently David Letterman is part owner of the Hy-Vee 45 car and stopped by the Grimes Hy-Vee for a bit yesterday.

The Andretti team was out at the go cart place in grimes at the end of the week. There’s a video floating around of one of the drivers getting taken out by a girl on the track.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The Andretti team was out at the go cart place in grimes at the end of the week. There’s a video floating around of one of the drivers getting taken out by a girl on the track.
Please be specific! Taken out to dinner? Or, 'taken out', as in 'hit by'?

Big difference. In either case, I hope the guy is OK. :D