Iowa State 16th Nationally In MBB Attendance

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
First, is this based on "attendance" or "tickets sold?" I know it is nit-picky, but they aren't the same.

Second, how does the Phog average 95 over capacity? And wouldn't that indicate that there capacity is 95 more?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Anyone know if JP has mentioned expanding the number of seats at Hilton as a priority for the athletic department? I would never want to mess with the atmosphere at Hilton, but I would think if we expanded to 15K+ we would have no problem filling those seats.

short of taking out the nice seats with armrests and putting bleachers in (if you'll notice AFH is a smaller building than Hilton but they pack them like sardines there), that won't happen.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Don't mess with Hilton. Suites would not be the answer. Guarantee that would make it quieter.

IA_Cyclone70

Aug 13, 2016
Fort Worth, Texas
First, is this based on "attendance" or "tickets sold?" I know it is nit-picky, but they aren't the same.

Second, how does the Phog average 95 over capacity? And wouldn't that indicate that there capacity is 95 more?

Very True. I just used the information from the 2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Attendance Division 1 Summary. Divided average attendance by arena capacity.

I'm not sure what the NCAA uses for these numbers.

I noticed this as well. I think Kansas & Wisconsin were the only schools who had an average attendance over what their arena capacity is. Somebody smarter than me can figure that one out.

Attachments

• 2017 NCAA MEN’S BASKETBALL ATTENDANCE.pdf
    188.5 KB · Views: 3

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I think Kansas & Wisconsin were the only schools who had an average attendance over what their arena capacity is. Somebody smarter than me can figure that one out.

Doesn't the Phog sell a limited number of SRO tickets that don't count against their official capacity? Thought I saw this when I was looking into going to a game in Lawrence once.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We are on a good run right now. But during the McDermott years we only probably averaged 10-11,000.

f your looking at revenue I understand suites, but it would not make it a rowdier/louder environment. I'm with JSB on this one no suites.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
We are on a good run right now. But during the McDermott years we only probably averaged 10-11,000.

f your looking at revenue I understand suites, but it would not make it a rowdier/louder environment. I'm with JSB on this one no suites.
Is argue it could make it louder by pushing some of the old people out of their current seats and moving the rowdier fans in instead. I also think it would be a big plus to revenue.

• Agree
Reactions: allday4cy

Pleasanthillclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

One possibility is that they include the players, coaches, officials, etc. along with tickets sold.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One possibility is that they include the players, coaches, officials, etc. along with tickets sold.
Before Fennelly came along I can vouch for this happening regularly at women's games. They were counting everyone in the building including tech staff, usher(s), concessions staff and janitors. Still often had attendance counts in the hundreds.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You know I wasn't talking about you.
It's the generic - old people don't cheer, Cyclone alley sucks, the band chants are dorky - that gets me. Any time we talk about Hilton crowds, those old canards get tossed into the mix.
Be creative!!!

And yes, I proudly claim to be an exception to your rule! :D

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
It's the generic - old people don't cheer, Cyclone alley sucks, the band chants are dorky - that gets me. Any time we talk about Hilton crowds, those old canards get tossed into the mix.
Be creative!!!

It's more a rich people who happen to be old problem. :D

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Be creative!!!

I'm not going to lie, there was a(n older) woman at the first round in Milwaukee next to us this year cheering her ass off and seriously getting into it. Pretty sure she made more noise than the whole student section does at East AIB.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm not going to lie, there was a(n older) woman at the first round in Milwaukee next to us this year cheering her ass off and seriously getting into it. Pretty sure she made more noise than the whole student section does at East AIB.
I swear it wasn't me this time!!! ;)

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Faint praise.