Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2024

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I guess I just don’t see why this staff is going after transfer guards. Where is the playing time going to be unless ISU goes small ball all year?
I agree with that statement however, my name is not TJ Otzelberger, so it’s not my problem. And I trust what he’s doing. Also, not sure if you knew this or not but we lost 4 transfers this weekend, 2 of them being guards

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I guess I just don’t see why this staff is going after transfer guards. Where is the playing time going to be unless ISU goes small ball all year?
Another possibility is that the staff is being realistic that other guys might transfer, e.g. Tamin would be a shock but it's within the realm of possibility that someone throws a bag at Keshon or Curtis and they take it. Of course we all hope that doesn't happen and it's probably unlikely, but it could, and as a staff you'd likely need to consider that.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
That's one thing I'm still super unclear about. With the massive strides that CuJo made during the season he will be getting even more minutes next season. We basically have four guys capable of starting playing the 1-3 (Lipsey, Gilbert, CuJo, Momcilovic). I just don't see any room for adding a big name guard. Am I missing something to the people that know more than me?

Reactions: rosshm16

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
Yeah with all the minutes being locked up by Lipsey, Cujo and Gilbert it doesn't make a ton of sense for a upper class transfer. However, and I'm not breaking any news because I don't know, but my fear is that Lipseys shoulder is going to need surgery and he was just toughing out this season. May need time to get back in the fall.
Pure speculation

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Yeah with all the minutes being locked up by Lipsey, Cujo and Gilbert it doesn't make a ton of sense for a upper class transfer. However, and I'm not breaking any news because I don't know, but my fear is that Lipseys shoulder is going to need surgery and he was just touching out this season. My need time to get back in the fall.
Pure speculation
If Lipsey needs shoulder surgery then there's plenty of time to recover. That part doesn't worry me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'd love a 10 deep rotation. Only thing is Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones should be getting 90+ of the 120 minutes 1-3 will have. Not sure we need 3 guards to fill those last 20-30 minutes, unless Indrusaitis isn't going to see the floor next year...I'd rather just get one of the Heise/Hadley and then get one more 6' 8" guy.
That is tough to find minutes, but it would be a very nice problem to have

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhig

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Depth is never a bad thing, especially when your depth can play 15-20 minutes.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm of course not saying I think we're lying to transfers about what they're going to get, it's just the numbers of having that many guards who all need/want PT. If we run a traditional two-guard lineup, that's 80 minutes split between five players, 16 mins/game each. If two of them are playing 30 mins/game that's <7 min/game for the rest. If we run a three-guard lineup, that's 24 mins/game average and 15 mins/game for the other two if three guys average 30. I think a four-guard lineup for large amounts of time is fantasy with our defense.

If I have to beat out at least one of Lipsey, Gilbert, and Jones otherwise I might be playing ~ 10 mins/game, that doesn't seem real attractive to someone looking for PT.

I'll be happy to be wrong, would be great to have five great guards.
You don't come to Iowa State for playing time at this point. There are other P5 programs where you can do that. You come to compete for a championship. That's a different pool of players. When TJ goes in to discuss the program with a potential transfer, playing time isn't something he's going to be pushing.

Last edited:

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Lipsey's shoulder could be the selling point even if he doesn't need surgery. They could be selling minutes in the event that any one of the three has an off night. Pav got some rotational minutes.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That's one thing I'm still super unclear about. With the massive strides that CuJo made during the season he will be getting even more minutes next season. We basically have four guys capable of starting playing the 1-3 (Lipsey, Gilbert, CuJo, Momcilovic). I just don't see any room for adding a big name guard. Am I missing something to the people that know more than me?

There's room for someone at anywhere between 20-25 minutes a game there. If you platoon 4 guards across 3 spots over the course of a game there are plenty of minutes available. Plus with the way we defend foul trouble for one of the 3 is inevitable each game.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
There's room for someone at anywhere between 20-25 minutes a game there. If you platoon 4 guards across 3 spots over the course of a game there are plenty of minutes available. Plus with the way we defend foul trouble for one of the 3 is inevitable each game.
That's assuming that Nojus isn't ready to play right away. There's not really room to rotate 5 guys across those 3 spots.

But I agree with the post above that we aren't getting players looking for playing time, we're getting players looking for winning

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Everybody still wants the "small ball". Take a look at how we performed with that at times this year. No post defense, no rim protection, and no offensive rebounds. I will pass on small ball until we have a great 3 pt shooting team. With defense first, we need a true post playing defense and running our offense through.

King was what, 6’7”?

I don’t think playing a 6’6” or 6’7” guy at that spot means we’re much smaller or worse on defense than a year ago. But we can get more perimeter skills at that spot.

I hope after another offseason of S&C, Milian can play some 4.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Heise would take Pav's role but is 6'5" and further along in development. I really think that the staff thought Pav would have been more effective and play 15 minutes to give Lipsey and Gilbert more rest. There is ~15-17 minutes available for a 4th guard. There is a big role available the year after when Gilbert and CuJo leave. I am sure the staff is selling him on contributing this year and a big role in year 2. Also give Nojus and Pierce time to earn their minutes when they are ready.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Could be a lot of things. First, Down the stretch Curt was playing around 30 mpg, so basically Lipsey, Gilbert, MM and CuJo were all playing big minutes. So maybe being able to trim guys like Keshon and Lipsey back a few mins would be an advantage given their incredible energy on defense. In theory, instead of this year where you have games where based on injury, foul trouble, or fatigue TJ was hoping to get some good minutes from Pavs, he can have a more consistent rotation of guys and minutes that avoids the emergency minutes guy. Second, it could be that they run the lineup with Milan at the 4 more next year. Or third, and hopefully not the case, there's any uncertainty with remaining guards.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Heise commitment seems likely at this point, especially since we made a play for him last April.

Really want to get Dailey Jr.. He's the missing link for us the be top 10 imo.

Lipsey
Gilbert
Momcilovic
Daily Jr
Jackson

CuJo
Watson
Heise
Rock
Indrusitas

We probably need another backup 5 so you aren't counting on Rock too much

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Heise would take Pav's role but is 6'5" and further along in development. I really think that the staff thought Pav would have been more effective and play 15 minutes to give Lipsey and Gilbert more rest. There is ~15-17 minutes available for a 4th guard. There is a big role available the year after when Gilbert and CuJo leave. I am sure the staff is selling him on contributing this year and a big role in year 2. Also give Nojus and Pierce time to earn their minutes when they are ready.
I think Heise would be a regular minutes guy for sure, and not a DNP-coaches decision ever. Heise can come in and defend not at the level of Lispsey or Keshon, but probably better than CuJo and MM. Pavs couldn't defend at the level ISU needs guys to in order to play beyond spot minutes.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah with all the minutes being locked up by Lipsey, Cujo and Gilbert it doesn't make a ton of sense for a upper class transfer. However, and I'm not breaking any news because I don't know, but my fear is that Lipseys shoulder is going to need surgery and he was just toughing out this season. May need time to get back in the fall.
Pure speculation
I think we will see 3 guards out there at least half the time.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Could be a lot of things. First, Down the stretch Curt was playing around 30 mpg, so basically Lipsey, Gilbert, MM and CuJo were all playing big minutes. So maybe being able to trim guys like Keshon and Lipsey back a few mins would be an advantage given their incredible energy on defense. In theory, instead of this year where you have games where based on injury, foul trouble, or fatigue TJ was hoping to get some good minutes from Pavs, he can have a more consistent rotation of guys and minutes that avoids the emergency minutes guy. Second, it could be that they run the lineup with Milan at the 4 more next year. Or third, and hopefully not the case, there's any uncertainty with remaining guards.
That's not a bad way to think about it. I just feel like some of the guards we're going after want starter minutes and we may push them away knowing they could be the fifth guy in our rotation at guard. There could also be a chance that NI could provide some decent minutes as a freshman. If Milan can beef up a little bit then he could be extremely tough to guard at the 4 shooting that turnaround fadeaway. He's got the height.