Iowa State vs. Bradley Thread

tufnel

Oct 22, 2006
"On the contrary, I think it's pretty well established that I'm not a McDermott fan."

just curious...is there a reason for this?

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
My observations from only watching the second half(had a group project in the first): Rashon was pretty impressive overall, shot better than I remembered from last year, the cyclones sucked at getting inside, this team is bad against guarding against the 3 they get drawn off their men too easily, Vette was solid and I actually thought Garrett looked pretty good, played a little fast sometimes

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
I think a lot of the frustration is we've been saying, "We're going to be good next year and great in two" since about 2002 or so and every year guys leave or don't develop and it's the same story.

Is Bradley really going to be that good this year? It's way too early (both in the season and McDermott's tenure) to get too down about the game but it kind of bums me out that we've gotten to the point where people seem excited that we kept it within double digits against a Valley team.

I guess I'm not really directing my ire at those people that are optimistic but just the fact that that's where our program is at this point.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Enjoy watching games we could have won but didn't? It's tough.

I was happy the way some of the new guys handled playing on the road. Offensive rebounds given up and turnovers just killed us.

Why watch if you're not going to enjoy it?

tufnel

Oct 22, 2006
I wonder how much of this kind of an age issue...if I was still in school I'd want to win SOON/NOW!! I'm older and would like us to build a solid program instead of 2 years of glory followed by 3 years of humiliation. Maybe I'm TOO patient here but its like the football season when all was doom and gloom, I saw real progress along the way.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I wonder how much of this kind of an age issue...if I was still in school I'd want to win SOON/NOW!! I'm older and would like us to build a solid program instead of 2 years of glory followed by 3 years of humiliation. Maybe I'm TOO patient here but its like the football season when all was doom and gloom, I saw real progress along the way.

Yeah, good point. I'm a junior and I want to see some wins. I realize that we (hopefully) have the pieces of the puzzle put in place, but I still wish that we could have some success now while I'm a student. Not 5 years from now when I live too far away to make it to many Cyclone sport events. I do understand that we need to do it the right way, so I'm not totally upset about losing now. At least students like me can look back and say... "I still remember when ISU hired that A.D. that changed the face of Cyclone athletics back when I was in school. Would you believe that we actually had LOSING records back then? HA HA! :biglaugh:"

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
It could be worse. We could have been ranked and lost to North Texas or Sam Houston State. Man, The Big 12 looked Bad tonight. Losses to Bradley, North Texas, Sam Houston state and nail biter with UTEP.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's probably just me, but I don't ever see McDermott winning a Big 12 Championship here. I think he can get us to the NCAA's, I just think his ceiling is lower than other people think it is.

Tim Floyd never won a championship here either, and I'd take him back in a second.

Let's face it, at this point in the program, being a consistent NCAA team is a lot better than what we've been experiencing. We've got one tourney win since 00-01. We're on our third coach since then. I just don't know how anybody can make any real solid judgments on McDermotts potential career here either way at this point. We just don't know enough.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Oh I am pi**ed. We should never lose to a school named Bradley for crying out loud. Oh how far we have fallen.

I wouldn't say we've fallen that far - we've actually improved. Bradley is an NCAA-tournament caliber team with more experience than us, possibly more talented than us, and plays in a conference (MVC) that is always competitive with if not better than some BCS conferences. They were ranked ahead of the Big 10 last year. While no loss is great, we could have lost to D-II teams like Michigan State and others, or lost our opening games to teams we REALLY shouldn't be losing to.

Plus, if I remember correctly, our 1999-2000 team, which was expected to finish dead last in the Big XII, lost to Drake early in the year. I think we all remember how that year ended, as it's probably the most memorable season in ISU basketball history. And that Drake team was much worse than this Bradley team.

It is FAR too early to throw this team under the bus, like some of you seem to want to, especially since this is the first REAL competition a lot of our guys have ever faced. I see this as a good learning experience.

tufnel

Oct 22, 2006
"I still remember when ISU hired that A.D. that changed the face of Cyclone athletics back when I was in school. Would you believe that we actually had LOSING records back then? HA HA!"

not a bad legacy!!!

Seriously.....the worm is turning and it doesn't happen overnight.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Two things I noticed while watching the highlights of the game on KWQC TV-6 sports (in Davenport):

1. Sharon Dericke is an ISU grad and an absolute Cyclone homer on the air (how often does THAT happen, especially on this side of the state?)

2. Channel 6 is already using the new I-STATE logo for ISU coverage (wasn't it supposed to go into effect starting next year?) - it looks SWEET on TV.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
"I still remember when ISU hired that A.D. that changed the face of Cyclone athletics back when I was in school. Would you believe that we actually had LOSING records back then? HA HA!"

not a bad legacy!!!

Seriously.....the worm is turning and it doesn't happen overnight.

I'm a wait and see kind of person. I'm fine with people not agreeing with me that he's little more than an average coach, but I also think its absurd to think he's the messiah of Cyclone basketball. He has to prove to me that he's above average. Like I said before, I think he can win twenty games a year here. I don't think he's going to suck. I am just not buying that he's all that + potato chips just yet.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Oh for crying out loud. Some of you are acting like the sky is falling after one loss. Last year we lost to Drake, at home. Drake. I can take a road loss to a Bradley team that beat us on a "semi" neutral court last winter.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Oh for crying out loud. Some of you are acting like the sky is falling after one loss. Last year we lost to Drake, at home. Drake. I can take a road loss to a Bradley team that beat us on a "semi" neutral court last winter.

I think the reaction to the Drake loss was MUCH more extreme. To me, we're looking at this as playing it close with a good team on the road. I still feel this is a weaker team than we saw last year, but there's greater potential. It'll just take time.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Eh, the sky falls around here after nearly every loss. Just par for the course.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Bradley played fast and they played hungry. They have the experience and size to compete with anyone. We are back to where we were last year to a point. New crew learning a new system. Its not like McDermott has had it easy with a consistent crew. He is getting established. If the players (other than seniors) dont leave and we get these guys experienced, we will be fine. A loss to Bradley doesnt hurt my feelings. A loss to a low tier team maybe. This was a good game for them to lose. Now they will see what its going to be like in the B12. By the end of the season we will see a tougher ISU team on the court. If you cant be realistic then dont watch this year.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Relax guys. Bradley was the better team. We only kept it close because we were hitting a lot of 3's. But you have to remember that this was our first real competition, it was on the road, we were missing our best player, and Bradley played tenacious defense against a team not used to handling that kind of pressure.

I look for this team to steadily improve heading into the Big 12 season. Bradley is better right now, but we have a lot more upside. We're going to play better basketball in games to come.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron