Iowa's football schedule

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
From what others are saying, the Hawkeye offense may be a bit better than last year and their defense may be a bit less than last year. And if you take ISU with all their starters available, I would put the ISU/Iowa game as about our 7th hardest game this year. If we are missing who we think we will, then Iowa becomes about our 3rd hardest game. UNI might be our 4th hardest then.

As for Iowa's schedule, it is viewed as one of the top 10 easiest. Even so, if we have our starters, we are maybe about their 4th or 5th hardest game. Without our starters, we drop to about 6 or 7. So, it's going to likely take a really big surprise performance by people like Rocco, Cartevious, Dominique for this season to have any hope. At least for now we can hope.

I don't know why people thought attendance would be down for Iowa home games. Fans love football. If we are missing 5 starters for 2 or 3 home games, are ISU fans going to stay home?
Isu fans will attend because of the awesome tailgating vibe.

• Agree
Reactions: LarryISU

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think the general consensus is Iowa will have a 9+ win season. While Iowa has a quality team, the 9 or more wins is more reflective of their weak schedule than the strength of the team. I just hope Iowa fans keep that in mind this upcoming season

You know that won't happen.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Had some time this morning before a flight and ran the numbers.. Since the 2017 win against Ohio St, I was curious how KKKirk has performed against the B1G top 3 versus:

Iowa's score for 2018-present across 9 meetings:
Average: 28-14, Median: 27-12
Record: 1-8

B1G Top 2: (4 meetings)
Average: 33-8, Median 35-7
Record: 0-4

Now for Iowa St against UT and OU (12 meetings since 2018 season)
Average: 28-24; Median: 27-22
Record: 4-8 (3-2 against UT; 1-6 against OU)

Move CyHawk to the end of the season?

Reactions: clonedude

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It's good to repeatedly miss the best teams in your conference record wise year after year. I also think that played a huge part in why EIU was the only team to ask for three annual games with league members. They will say it was because of trophy games, but how much history does EIU have with Nebraska and their made up trophy game? With three it gives them a better chance of missing the best three schools plus the new schools that will join the league next year.

Fry figured it out years ago, it's not who you beat that is important, it's how many you beat. Few ask how many quality teams EIU beat in 2015, all they hear about is how that team went 12-2.

Last edited:

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Had some time this morning before a flight and ran the numbers.. Since the 2017 win against Ohio St, I was curious how KKKirk has performed against the B1G top 3 versus:

Iowa's score for 2018-present across 9 meetings:
Average: 28-14, Median: 27-12
Record: 1-8

B1G Top 2: (4 meetings)
Average: 33-8, Median 35-7
Record: 0-4

Now for Iowa St against UT and OU (12 meetings since 2018 season)
Average: 28-24; Median: 27-22
Record: 4-8 (3-2 against UT; 1-6 against OU)

Move CyHawk to the end of the season?
Texas hasn't been on any of those other 4 teams level during that period. I don't even think they've been 2nd best in the big 12 since 2018.

Iowa's definitely struggles against top 10 type teams elite to very good. Kirk's philosophy can beat a lot of average to even good type teams but it can only go so far.

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's good to repeated miss the best teams in your conference record wise year after year. I also think that played a huge part in why EIU was the only team to ask for three annual games with league members. They will say it was because of trophy games, but how much history does EIU have with Nebraska and their made up trophy game? With three it gives them a better chance of missing the best three schools plus the new schools that will join the league next year.

I have to admit when I saw that Iowa has 3 protected rivals, who they were, and that they had requested them avoiding the top of the old Big 10 East was where my mind went.

Reactions: jdolson27

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Texas hasn't been on any of those other 4 teams level during that period. I don't even think they've been 2nd best in the big 12 since 2018.

Iowa's definitely struggles against top 10 type teams elite to very good. Kirk's philosophy can beat a lot of average to even good type teams but it can only go so far.
That is true about Texas, but ISU has played the two teams that have been in the B12 championship game every year since was started, excluded the one year that ISU played in the game. Can EIU say anything close to that? How many times have they played the East side champion the year that team played in the championship game during the regular season?

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
I have to admit when I saw that Iowa has 3 protected rivals, who they were, and that they had requested them avoiding the top of the old Big 10 East was where my mind went.
I thought the idea was every listed a max of 3 rivals, but it was only protected if the other school also listed you as a rival. So it wasn't necessarily due to Iowa's maneuvering as much as mutual interest between schools.

However that was pre Oregon and Washington. Once those two got added there's no reason for them to have 3 protected when no one else has that many.

Reactions: 1776

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011

Texas is still a top 5-10 talented roster annually.

ISU went 1-8 last year and CMC is only trailing Iowa by 4 conference wins since the 2018 season... Meanwhile has had to play EVERYONE in the conference annually.. Only three wins when you include 2017...

Y'all are the most spoiled school, based on scheduling in the last quarter century and have no outright season titles (2002 ducked OSU, 2004 lost head to head to Big Blue), no outright conference championship game victories, and 1 BCS/Top4 bowl win (2010 Orange Bowl against GTech...) to show for it. At least Campbell won the conference regular season outright in 2020.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

ISU went 1-8 last year and CMC is only trailing Iowa by 4 conference wins since the 2018 season... Meanwhile has had to play EVERYONE in the conference annually.. Only three wins when you include 2017...

Y'all are the most spoiled school, based on scheduling in the last quarter century and have no outright season titles (2002 ducked OSU, 2004 lost head to head to Big Blue), no outright conference championship game victories, and 1 BCS/Top4 bowl win (2010 Orange Bowl against GTech...) to show for it. At least Campbell won the conference regular season outright in 2020.
Yes this is probably Iowa State's best stretch of football especially in conference of all time right? I think I counted 28-21 since 2018? Is there another 5 year period like that in the schools history in the conference? Being up only 4 wins like you said isn't so bad with that considered. Iowa State besides last year has been mostly a good team. winning records every year but last year going back to 16. They could of had some more 9 maybe even 10 win seasons but they've lost a lot of close games too. A very worthy rival.

Iowa's schedule hasn't been easy most years and you always want more wins but we've mostly been able to navigate it but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I was upset we didn't win the West in 18 and 20 Specifically. I guess you always want more

rickyrudd

Oct 10, 2010

It’s pretty hard to use the transitive property to correctly pick winners of football games. The best way would be to use head to head. Let’s see:

Last 10: Iowa is 8-2, Iowa State 2-8
Last 20: Iowa is 14-6, Iowa State 6-14
Last 30: Iowa is 19-11, Iowa State 11-19
Last 40: Iowa is 29-11, Iowa State 11-29

So that seems to me like Iowa is clearly the better football team. And regardless of how strong the B1GW is you should be confident most years that ISU will finish at least one spot worse than Iowa (because Iowa is better).

We could also look at talent, such as All-Americans, first round draft picks, NFL starters etc which I can do if you need me to. But I will hold off as this is the best evidence of your theoretical place in the B1G W.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1776 and wing59

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Yes this is probably Iowa State's best stretch of football especially in conference of all time right? I think I counted 28-21 since 2018? Is there another 5 year period like that in the schools history in the conference? Being up only 4 wins like you said isn't so bad with that considered. Iowa State besides last year has been mostly a good team. winning records every year but last year going back to 16. They could of had some more 9 maybe even 10 win seasons but they've lost a lot of close games too. A very worthy rival.

Iowa's schedule hasn't been easy most years and you always want more wins but we've mostly been able to navigate it but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I was upset we didn't win the West in 18 and 20 Specifically. I guess you always want more
100% our best stretch in history, I don't think it's close

If Campbell figured out how to win in September, we'd get to that 10-win mark that has eluded us to date..

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
It’s pretty hard to use the transitive property to correctly pick winners of football games. The best way would be to use head to head. Let’s see:

So that seems to me like Iowa is clearly the better football team. And regardless of how strong the B1GW is you should be confident most years that ISU will finish at least one spot worse than Iowa (because Iowa is better).

We could also look at talent, such as All-Americans, first round draft picks, NFL starters etc which I can do if you need me to. But I will hold off as this is the best evidence of your theoretical place in the B1G W.

Over the last 40 years, not including 2018-present.. ISU is one of the worst P5 programs in the country, worse than most B1G West teams. Since 1998, when Mac broke Fry's back, the series is 11-14 to Iowa. Only 10 of those 25 years has ISU finished above .500 on the season, ad only twice have we finished over .500 in conference play since 1998 (before CMC).

Kirk is FAR better than Campbell at winning in September, no rebuttal possible from me there..

But if Kirk wasn't so stubborn and protected by his soft schedules, Iowa make have actually been able to capitalize on 25 years of easy schedules and make half a dozen big time bowl games. Instead the Iowa fanbase has settled for just good enough to sneak into the 3rd or 4th best bowl game in the B1G. Which thanks to Delaney, are after the new year.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

How about looking up the last time any EIU player did this in the NFL. 1. WR caught a pass in a regular season game. 2. A QB from EIU threw a pass in regular season game. 3. Last time a EIU running back recorded a carry in the league or scored a touchdown. A former ISU player did all of those just last Sunday.

Reactions: cytor

rickyrudd

Oct 10, 2010
How about looking up the last time any EIU player did this in the NFL. 1. WR caught a pass in a regular season game. 2. A QB from EIU threw a pass in regular season game. 3. Last time a EIU running back recorded a carry in the league or scored a touchdown. An ISU player did all of those just last Sunday.
That’s weirdly specific. It’s almost like you cherry picked 3 positions.

There are currently 40 former Hawkeyes in the NFL. 8 offensive touchdowns. 3 Pro Bowlers from last year. I don’t have time to look up the INTs, Sacks, Tackles, etc. but if you do and can use it pwn me, then go ahead.

• Dumb
Reactions: GT25Ump

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
How about looking up the last time any EIU player did this in the NFL. 1. WR caught a pass in a regular season game. 2. A QB from EIU threw a pass in regular season game. 3. Last time a EIU running back recorded a carry in the league or scored a touchdown. A former ISU player did all of those just last Sunday.
When was the last time a Squawk fan posted on a Squawk message board instead of CF?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Any college sports fan knows iowa football schedule is an annual joke. Outside of Ohio state and Big blue and some years Ped state, the conference is unwatchable.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That’s weirdly specific. It’s almost like you cherry picked 3 positions.

There are currently 40 former Hawkeyes in the NFL. 8 offensive touchdowns. 3 Pro Bowlers from last year. I don’t have time to look up the INTs, Sacks, Tackles, etc. but if you do and can use it pwn me, then go ahead.
I picked the most important positions on the roster for many teams. EIU fans wonder why they have struggled so much against better teams; those three positions are the answer. EIU has done great about producing TE's, and DB's mostly safeties, very few true corners, because they are not trained to play man to man, only zone.
Your fan base crows about the total number you have placed on rosters, but those are not players in the most part that are difference makers. QB's, WR's and RB's are, along with TE's.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

I don’t think the real comparison was head to head or to determine which team was better. The comparison is how Iowa performs vs the top tier conference teams vs how Iowa State performs against their top conference teams

You know what’s really bad? Iowa State has played the top two teams in their conference more times than Iowa has played the top three times in their conference during the same time.

And we can then clearly see Iowa’s record would be far, far worse if they were in the Big 10 East instead of the west. Or if they even played the top 3 teams the same number as the other schools. I did an analysis on the strength of schedule for big 10 west teams since the big 10 changed to the west vs East. Iowa and Illinois had by far the easiest conference schedule.

Iowa no longer can hide behind their schedule. Expect a lot more games where Iowa struggles to get a first down, let alone score.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE