Is Fran building a regional powerhouse or just calling Iowa fans idiots and morons?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Oh Boy....

@MatthewBain_ After receiving his Iowa offer, Chicago 3-star PG Ahron Ulis (@Lil_Ulis3) tells me he "definitely" wants to officially visit the Hawkeyes. Now, it's about figuring out which dates to come.

Ulis also holds offers from New Mexico, Siena, NIU & SIU, among others.

@MatthewBain_ Yes, he is Tyler Ulis’ brother.

McCaffery's adopting both of them? They do that and another recruit. Look out B1G in 2021. It truly would be a "Family Affair".

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
2.) Since Fred became our coach to where we are right now, one maybe two teams had a great capability of making the elite 8. The first was when Georges broke his foot in the NCAA tournament. If he had not done that there was a really good shot we could've gone all the way. The second was probably the year after and we played like garbage against UAB and they beat us.

If I'm being honest, I don't see us beating Houston in the 2nd round and then beating Kentucky the round after that this past season. And us losing to Purdue 3 years ago in the second round in a dog fight was probably right around our ceiling as well. But every one of those seasons has come with great regular season wins and probably a conference tournament title.

I actually disagree with much of this.

-- The advanced stats (with KenPom, Barttorvik, etc.) do not show the Kane-Ejim-Niang team as anything special compared to the other teams of the era. Heck, all three of the Prohm tournament teams are ahead of that team on the Barttorvik rankings.

-- That team could be dang good, but it had a weak non-con schedule, played in a Big 12 that was good but not at its absolute heights, avoided Embiid in Kansas City, and sucked at defense. It had its big moments, but it pulled a lot of games out of its butt, too.

-- I think the biggest missed opportunity of the era was actually the Purdue game. College basketball is a guard's game, and that team had Monté Morris, Naz Mitrou-Long, Matt Thomas, Deonte Burton (four NBA guys, even if only marginally attached), plus Donovan Jackson (one of the best shooters in school history) and Nick Weiler-Babb on the bench. They played in maybe the best conference in CBB history that year, won a game in Lawrence, crushed the Big 12 tournament, and were on an absolute roll once they found a super swole freshman in Solomon Young to stand in the middle of the lane, clean up the trash, and control space.

With guards like that and Solomon settling perfectly into his role, the sky was the limit with that team. They just came out slow against Purdue and could not put them away.

-- My overall point would be more something like...

We have had seven NCAA tournament teams since 2012, and I think all of them had the potential to make deep serious runs. Two of them did make it to the second weekend, but we have had our share of bad luck, injury, poor performance when we needed to be clutch, and bad match-ups, like running into Malcolm Brogdon and UVA in Chicago. Even if never bursting into the Final Four, the program is still in way better shape than Iowa as a program.

Going through the NCAA tournament seeds of the era, using it as something of a "consensus" view of how good of a year the programs had...

ISU // Iowa

2012 = 8 // NR
2013 = 10 // NR
2014 = 3 // 11*
2015 = 3 // 7
2016 = 3 // 7
2017 = 5 // NR
2018 = NR // NR
2019 = 6 // 10

*PIG

ISU // Iowa

Appearances = 7 // 4*
Round of 64 = 2 // 1*
Round of 32 = 3 // 3
Sweet Sixteen = 2 // 0

I know which of the two lists looks better.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATCy

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

-- The advanced stats (with KenPom, Barttorvik, etc.) do not show the Kane-Ejim-Niang team as anything special compared to the other teams of the era. Heck, all three of the Prohm tournament teams are ahead of that team on the Barttorvik rankings.

-- That team could be dang good, but it had a weak non-con schedule, played in a Big 12 that was good but not at its absolute heights, avoided Embiid in Kansas City, and sucked at defense. It had its big moments, but it pulled a lot of games out of its butt, too.

-- I think the biggest missed opportunity of the era was actually the Purdue game. College basketball is a guard's game, and that team had Monté Morris, Naz Mitrou-Long, Matt Thomas, Deonte Burton (four NBA guys, even if only marginally attached), plus Donovan Jackson (one of the best shooters in school history) and Nick Weiler-Babb on the bench. They played in maybe the best conference in CBB history that year, won a game in Lawrence, crushed the Big 12 tournament, and were on an absolute roll once they found a super swole freshman in Solomon Young to stand in the middle of the lane, clean up the trash, and control space.

With guards like that and Solomon settling perfectly into his role, the sky was the limit with that team. They just came out slow against Purdue and could not put them away.

We have had seven NCAA tournament teams since 2012, and I think all of them had the potential to make deep serious runs. Two of them did make it to the second weekend, but we have had our share of bad luck, injury, poor performance when we needed to be clutch, and bad match-ups, like running into Malcolm Brogdon and UVA in Chicago. Even if never bursting into the Final Four, the program is still in way better shape than Iowa as a program.

Going through the NCAA tournament seeds of the era, using it as something of a "consensus" view of how good of a year the programs had...

ISU // Iowa

2012 = 8 // NR
2013 = 10 // NR
2014 = 3 // 11
2015 = 3 // 7
2016 = 3 // 7
2017 = 5 // NR
2018 = NR // NR
2019 = 6 // 10

ISU // Iowa

Appearances = 7 // 4
Round of 64 = 2 // 1
Round of 32 = 3 // 3
Sweet Sixteen = 2 // 0

Play in games don’t count

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
All I am saying is that with all the NBA talent of last year and the years before that, how did ISU not at least get to a elite 8?

Bad troll attempt...would be worth it if ISU's NBA talent was first round, top 5 pick type of talent.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They are basically in the bottom of NBA rosters and get spot minutes at most. Minus 1 or 2 of them. But it is a nice recruiting pitch to have with guys that have recently been drafted. My point is that when your team underachieves, it is ok to admit that.

Was taking the name Thinker a good idea?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
IS your son a 7 foot D1 recruit with a good looking shot and inside post game?
Nope 5’7 13 yo that has a mean curve ball and jumps,higher than Garza. His sat is already better than getting admission to Iowa...and wo doubt far higher than yours. The one thing you should have learned by now is don’t ask questions to **** u don’t know.

• Funny
Reactions: BLHawk

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I give him credit for doing the off-season work as well. But all college players who want to be better work hard in the off-season to improve their skills
Agreed. His training objective should be to get to slow. Hard working kid is still redefining slow.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Hawkeye fans love to talk about how Iowa has tons of players in the NFL and Iowa State only having some. But when we bring up how Iowa State has many players in the NBA and they have literally zero, they spin it negatively on us.
I think the exact same argument has been used against Iowa football by some Cyclone fans....not enough wins v NFL talent.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think the exact same argument has been used against Iowa football by some Cyclone fans....not enough wins v NFL talent.

If ISU had two lottery picks and a couple second rounders this last year and lost in the opening round that would have been real bad

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's just a dumb argument. Other good teams have just as many NBA / NFL guys if not more. Kentucky has loads of young NBA talent every single year and hasn't made a final four since like 2014. Talent helps but it's more about how they play together. Iowa State basketball last year was incredibly talented but there were times when they didn't play well together, and one of those times was the Ohio State game.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

ISU // Iowa

2012 = 8 // NR
2013 = 10 // NR
2014 = 3 // 11*
2015 = 3 // 7
2016 = 3 // 7
2017 = 5 // NR
2018 = NR // NR
2019 = 6 // 10

*PIG

ISU // Iowa

Appearances = 7 // 4*
Round of 64 = 2 // 1*
Round of 32 = 3 // 3
Sweet Sixteen = 2 // 0

I think that 2016-17 team was indeed special, but come tournament time, the advanced stats don't really mean anything. Fred has even come out and say he honestly believes they win the title that year if Georges plays. He was the x-factor and a matchup nightmare even then. The draw we got in 2014-2015 also should have been a walkthrough for us to reach the Sweet 16 and we were probably as deep of a team as we've had here in a while that year. Injuries have played quite a factor in ISU basketball in regards to tournament success as well. Georges injured, Naz being injured in 2015-2016 which could've made that team unreal. Solomon young being injured this year which could have elevated us and no doubt won us the Ohio State game. Their excuses but probably valid ones.