Is there a fan base with thinner skin in America than the Iowa Hawkeyes?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Didn't watch the game..........but most Hawk fans I have seen aren't so mad about any gesture, more of what Reese said about "this is for people who look like me".

Did she really say that? Because if so......has Clark ever alluded to any of her success in such a way?

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Didn't watch the game..........but most Hawk fans I have seen aren't so mad about any gesture, more of what Reese said about "this is for people who look like me".

Did she really say that? Because if so......has Clark ever alluded to any of her success in such a way?
Please see the context she said this in. The timing and why she said this.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

They are angry about the gesture for sure.

For Context, from a CNN story:
In the post-game broadcast, Reese referenced the similar gesture Clark made to a Louisville opponent in the Elite Eight.

In the same game, Clark said to an opponent: “You’re down by 15 points. Shut up,” according to the Bleacher Report.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
They are angry about the gesture for sure.

For Context, from a CNN story:
In the post-game broadcast, Reese referenced the similar gesture Clark made to a Louisville opponent in the Elite Eight.

In the same game, Clark said to an opponent: “You’re down by 15 points. Shut up,” according to the Bleacher Report.

What was the gesture? I am guilty for not have watched one Iowa game.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I'm not sure this is true. I think we would have realized that the gesture was a reaction to Clark's gestures during the previous two games.

You’re giving our fan base too much credit. Look how some our fans reacted to Elijah Johnson dunking at the end of the KU game.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think that's great.

Trash talk being thrown right back. Happens all the time.

I guess my question then is why the comment "for people who look like me" ? Did Clark mock some LSU or USC players with the same type of comment?
If you don't know this is the orignation of it.

1680548001953.png

Reactions: wing59

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I think that's great.

I guess my question then is why the comment "for people who look like me" ? Did Clark mock some LSU or USC players with the same type of comment?
Unsure.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I think that's great.

It's not at Clark. It might be about Clark (and the media's attention to her), but not at her.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Yes, racism is certainly everywhere, but I don't think the "both sides" argument is accurate when comparing the Iowa and Iowa State fanbases.

Do you see ever hear Cyclone fans refer to the other teams as thugs? Do you honestly think Iowa State fans would have turned their eyes away from the type of blatant racism that has existed in Iowa's football program.

The fact that Iowa has such a large Tavern Hawk population probably doesn't help. Not saying all the Tavern Hawks are racist, but I'm guessing a greater percentage are.

Maybe I'm just seeing through my cardinal and gold glasses, but thats what I'm seeing.
I don't think there's any Iowa State comparison for some of what we've seen on Iowa message boards and social media. However, in reference to the bolded comment, I'm fairly sure I've seen Iowa State fans refer to the Texas women's team as thugs. Or maybe I'm wrong on that specific word, but there's at least been somewhat similar language that has made me a bit queasy.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You’re giving our fan base too much credit. Look how some our fans reacted to Elijah Johnson dunking at the end of the KU game.

I'll never understand the ISU fan who was even slightly annoyed by that dunk yet defended the horrific officiating as something that didn't 100% decide the game. It seemed I was reminding a lot of people that the dunk was the least offensive part of how that game ended.

Defense is allowed, dunking is allowed, don't let him get a big dunk. Easy. If he dunks it, nice play.

Reactions: CyDude16