Is there a fan base with thinner skin in America than the Iowa Hawkeyes?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
That may be but I personally know some openly racist fans of Iowa. I do not personally know any racist Iowa State fans. My experience and yours may vary and I accept that.

I mean.... Did you attend isu? I don't think it's possible to not have been around it on campus

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I mean.... Did you attend isu? I don't think it's possible to not have been around it on campus
I did, and there was a little, but not like it was something you saw every 10 foot like you’re projecting. What did you experience when you attended ISU as a student?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I did, and there was a little, but not like it was something you saw every 10 foot like you’re projecting. What did you experience when you attended ISU as a student?

Personally, as a Jew, I experienced some. I also had a roommate that used the n-word casually with his buddies.

I agree that for the most part, isu is as an entirety much better on that front. And Iowa has far more of the casual Walmart fanbase from the state, so it's much worse.

Gonna be honest, reading the rivals Iowa site tonight was extremely disappointing.

• Friendly
Reactions: BigTurk and JP4CY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Personally, as a Jew, I experienced some. I also had a roommate that used the n-word casually with his buddies.

I agree that for the most part, isu is as an entirety much better on that front. And Iowa has far more of the casual Walmart fanbase from the state, so it's much worse.

Gonna be honest, reading the rivals Iowa site tonight was extremely disappointing.
I honestly never ran across any Jewish person while at ISU. I believe you, just curious what percent of the student body would be Jewish. I think I may have come across 2-3 Jewish people in Iowa, but then again it’s not something I ask so it very well could be much more common and I wouldnt know.

• Wow
Reactions: carvers4math

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I honestly never ran across any Jewish person while at ISU. I believe you, just curious what percent of the student body would be Jewish. I think I may have come across 2-3 Jewish people in Iowa, but then again it’s not something I ask so it very well could be much more common and I wouldnt know.

Probably the latter. It's not like you can easily tell by appearance, and why broadcast it?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Probably the latter. It's not like you can easily tell by appearance, and why broadcast it?
I think the only time I noticed was the arm band strap/praying moment. I asked someone about it and they were gracious and explained (that I've since forgotten about).

Reactions: SplitIdentity

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
You don’t get out much?

I had several Jewish friends at Iowa State, one was a roommate. The state rep from Ames at the time was Jewish. Have multiple Jewish friends living in rural southern Iowa. My brother-in-law is Jewish.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I do not recall it at all in my five years on campus-might of been. Of course, as I state my experience is mine, and differs from others. I recall sexism though.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Goes to show how even the mods on hawk sites show no remorse for what hawk fans post! So glad ours have class and weed out those on here that have no class.
If their moderators cleaned up the threads, there wouldn't be much left on the site. This is not unusual behavior for them.

Reactions: GMackey32

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
The racism from Hawkeye fans isn’t even thinly veiled. Granted there’d be Iowa State fans doing the same. But woof it’s embarrassing
People are trying to move the goal posts on what Angel Reese did. When you say it’s the same thing CC did, they proclaim CC did it during the game and Reese waited until the game was over and that’s poor sportsmanship. Then when you say “well, you absolutely loved it when J-Bo left his shoes on the court in Hilton after the game”, they then say “well, it wasn’t directed at any particular player”.

They keep wanting to move the goal posts because they are sad and/or subconsciously are being racist about it.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I've spent enough time around both fanbases to know that rampant rasism exists in both. That's why it's an Iowa thing.
Yes, racism is certainly everywhere, but I don't think the "both sides" argument is accurate when comparing the Iowa and Iowa State fanbases.

Do you see ever hear Cyclone fans refer to the other teams as thugs? Do you honestly think Iowa State fans would have turned their eyes away from the type of blatant racism that has existed in Iowa's football program.

The fact that Iowa has such a large Tavern Hawk population probably doesn't help. Not saying all the Tavern Hawks are racist, but I'm guessing a greater percentage are.

Maybe I'm just seeing through my cardinal and gold glasses, but thats what I'm seeing.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Yes, racism is certainly everywhere, but I don't think the "both sides" argument is accurate when comparing the Iowa and Iowa State fanbases.

Do you see ever hear Cyclone fans refer to the other teams as thugs? Do you honestly think Iowa State fans would have turned their eyes away from the type of blatant racism that has existed in Iowa's football program.

The fact that Iowa has such a large Tavern Hawk population probably doesn't help. Not saying all the Tavern Hawks are racist, but I'm guessing a greater percentage are.

Maybe I'm just seeing through my cardinal and gold glasses, but thats what I'm seeing.

Split is right. There would be plenty of Iowa State fans being racist if it was Iowa State in Iowa’s shoes.

Reactions: GMackey32

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I think Iowa's bball program has had plenty of players that play like thugs.

Connor, the tall guy who poked eyes repeatedly, some guy who body slammed a Michigan State player, etc. This is bases off actual things that have happened.

Iowa fans calling ISU players thugs is preemptive.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Split is right. There would be plenty of Iowa State fans being racist if it was Iowa State in Iowa’s shoes.
You may be right about that, but I can tell you 100% that there's no chance in hell that @ChrisMWilliams would let crap like that be posted on this site. The site formerly known as Hawkeye Report is flat out embarrassing right now, with all of the blatantly racist crap that's being posted. Apparently there's very little moderation going on. I can guarantee that would not be the case on Cyclone Fanatic.

The fact that the Hawkeye message board leaves it up is tantamount to endorsement, as far as I'm concerned. Disgusting.

Last edited: