ISU Gambling Megathread

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I know this gets passed on to taxpayers and such, but get them for every dime you can. What an absolute, unabated joke this all has turned out to be.
What I would love to know is how far up the chain of command did this cluster **** go?
Who decided to green light this disaster?

I've always thought that there has to be a political angle here. Some elected official(s) who would then use the results to run on a "tough on crime/gambling" type message.

Reactions: 907CY and Turn2

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
Agreed. Being its government agencies. Someone will be able to open records request and it will be disclosed at some point if it comes to a settlement.
Iowa State is a public institution and we still do not know what the WBB settlement was.

• Agree
Reactions: 907CY and BigCyFan

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
What I would love to know is how far up the chain of command did this cluster **** go?

I've always thought that there has to be a political angle here. Some elected official(s) who would then use the results to run on a "tough on crime/gambling" type message.
Well the director of the Department of Public Safety got mentioned in the lawsuit. He reports directly to the governor.

• Informative
Reactions: 907CY and Turn2

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Iowa State is a public institution and we still do not know what the WBB settlement was.

Are you talking Moody's law suit? She got $60,000 ISU settled and they never should have. I understand the financial aspect of settling but no way she would have won IMO.

Reactions: 907CY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

From the reports I read a bit ago. Sanger was told to stop when he told his boss what he was doing. Then when he didn’t and came back with some meat in the bones, his boss green lighted it and they kept going. It never talked about if they went higher up and /or when whey did.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Klubber

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Holy crap! It's right there in black and white, folks. The athletes' lawyer now has the receipt.

So the DCI used illegal investigative methods to investigate something they already conceded was likely not a violation of Iowa law, all in an effort to bring attention and notoriety to their department. And if any of the athletes lost their scholarship or eligibility as a result, "so be it."

Time for the state of Iowa to start backing up the brinks trucks.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah this shows how much of a stupid waste of time and resources this was to begin with, and that will help their lawsuit. Just some guy with a hard on for gambling and college athletes apparently.

But here is what made me sit up straight-

"They will do everything possible to keep it in house and sweep it under the rug. I have direct experience with this dealing with the U of I athletic department. We investigated a sexual assault by two football players years ago, and the athletic department was aware of it months before we found out. They tried to deal with it 'in house'."

I know this is nothing new really, but to see a law enforcement agent just blast it out directly as a fact is a damning thing, isn't it?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Yeah this shows how much of a stupid waste of time and resources this was to begin with, and that will help their lawsuit. Just some guy with a hard on for gambling and college athletes apparently.

But here is what made me sit up straight-

"They will do everything possible to keep it in house and sweep it under the rug. I have direct experience with this dealing with the U of I athletic department. We investigated a sexual assault by two football players years ago, and the athletic department was aware of it months before we found out. They tried to deal with it 'in house'."

I know this is nothing new really, but to see a law enforcement agent just blast it out directly as a fact is a damning thing, isn't it?
Is this the Everson and Satterfield case in that "ghost" dorm room? That whole thing stunk to high heaven.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There's just so much that's gross about the e-mails.

First, you're the ******* DCI. Your job isn't about notoriety. You, more than perhaps any other agency in the entire State, should not be driven by notoriety. You should be driven by protecting people and investigating actual crimes, and doing so in a manner that will hold up in Court. If you do your job correctly, no one should know anything about what you are doing. Admittedly doing this for notoriety tells you every last thing you need to know.

Also, **** them for trying to equate this to U of I sweeping a sexual assault under the rug and not trusting the AD to take care of this. This is, without a shadow of a doubt, the type of thing each athletic department could have handled internally. There is no victim here. It's the result of some poor judgment and at worst resulted in a very, very minor criminal offense. You tell the athletic departments "hey, as a part of a search we noticed some irregular stuff coming from some of your players. We trust you will impart on them how important it is they aren't placing wagers, especially if they are underaged, and even more especially on games they are involved in. We are keeping an eye on it and if there is any more we may have to bring charges." Done. Fin. No doubt in my mind it gets taken care of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonepride

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan

First, your the ******* DCI. Your job isn't about notoriety. You, more than perhaps any other agency in the entire State, should not be driven by notoriety. You should be drive by protecting people and investigating actual crimes, and doing so in a manner that will hold up in Court. If you do your job correctly, no one should know anything about what you are doing. Admittedly doing this for notoriety tells you every last thing you need to know.

Also, **** them for trying to equate this to U of I sweeping a sexual assault under the rug and not trusting the AD to take care of this. This is, without a shadow of a doubt, the type of thing each athletic department could have handled internally. There is no victim here. It's the result of some poor judgment and at worst resulted in a very, very minor criminal offense. You tell the athletic departments "hey, as a part of a search we noticed some irregular stuff coming from some of your players. We trust you will impart on them how important it is they aren't placing wagers, especially if they are underaged, and even more especially on games they are involved in. We are keeping an eye on it and if there is any more we may have to bring charges." Done. Fin. No doubt in my mind it gets taken care of.

ya but that doesn't get you a photo with the gov for linkdin

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
1 - ******* stupid on their part to put that in writing. That alone should disqualify them from any sort of meaningful job. Anybody that has been in business knows there are certain things said and not documented. Note - not saying it makes it right.

2 - That's about as clear as day what the agenda was both from the get-go and in the continued push later on.

3 - That letter would basically be Lee Harvey Oswald making a film of exactly where and how he was going to shoot JFK and what his getaway route was going to be.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
1 - ******* stupid on their part to put that in writing. That alone should disqualify them from any sort of meaningful job. Anybody that has been in business knows there are certain things said and not documented. Note - not saying it makes it right.

2 - That's about as clear as day what the agenda was both from the get-go and in the continued push later on.

3 - That letter would basically be Lee Harvey Oswald making a film of exactly where and how he was going to shoot JFK and what his getaway route was going to be.
Lee Harvey Oswald didn’t kill JFK though

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

First, you're the ******* DCI. Your job isn't about notoriety. You, more than perhaps any other agency in the entire State, should not be driven by notoriety. You should be driven by protecting people and investigating actual crimes, and doing so in a manner that will hold up in Court. If you do your job correctly, no one should know anything about what you are doing. Admittedly doing this for notoriety tells you every last thing you need to know.

Yeah, i can picture this already as a GREAT 5 part mini-series on Netflix. I can see the text already on the screen "U of Iowa staff declined to comment for this series" LOL