ISU MBB: Message to the players

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Another tough one last night. Had to be a great experience though.

Lets cut to the chase. It's not a secret that some of you read the site. I'm sure you've read things that have been harsh and tough to swallow. I won't say it's all been inaccurate, but I will note it's easy for us fans to sit here behind our computers and tear you apart.

That said, it's time to toughen up a little bit and I don't think this can be disputed. If you really go watch your individual and team performances this season, I firmly believe you'll see in a decent share of the games, the other team has been tougher. You have shown flashes as individuals and a team that you can man up against anyone - including the game in Chicago last night. I firmly believe each of you have the potential to go up against that team, or other great teams, and out dual them. An example is how last night, Duke jumped out to an early lead, looking to completely dominate the game, and you fought right back with a run of your own. You can out muscle and out perform.

But do you want to? That's the key. We can't want it for you, neither can your coaching staff. Is that rebound the most important thing to you at that very moment? Will you sacrifice to go get it from the other player? As soon as a shot goes up, are you immediately thinking "box out!"? And then executing it to the fullest of your abilities?

When you make a mistake on the court, are you pointing fingers at someone else or knowing it was your mistake and learning from it? When a teammate makes a mistake - do you chastise him or give 100% to help on that play and then pick him up after?

I'm hopeful you're hearing these probing questions already from your coaches and peers. But it's time to look within yourselves and decide - how good to we want to be?

Are you content with just so-so'ing it through the season and an NIT invite? Or do you have aspirations to be in the top half of your conference and earn a bid to the NCAA tournament? We as fans can't decide this for you. Neither can your coaches, families and friends. It's up to you as individuals and most importantly - a team.

Your effort ultimately decide where you end up this season and beyond. I firmly believe this group is a very talented unit with the ability to be feared by teams both in your talent and toughness. But it's merely potential until you show it - consistently. Maintain the individual egos and suffer as a group? Or swallow the pride and become one team with one goal?

It's yours to decide - we (fans) want to be part of that team. Good luck.

Last edited:

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA
How can you explan Lucca taking 1 FREEKING SHOT!!!, and that was within the first minute?

That one's easy. Lucca can't get his own shot and our PG's cant create opportunities for other players. Our offense consists of dribbling and hoping someone hits a contested jump shot.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
Please peak in February/March. I'm not going to take sides of coaches or players, in sports I've been on both sides. Most people will agree there is GREAT talent on this team, however it hasn't competed against NCAA tournament competition until the season started. 4 losses to 3, potentially 4 tourny teams. Our coaches probably need to be learning and teaching the players how to improve at a quicker pace. The players probably need to put some of it on their shoulders and feel the need to win games.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I can say with complete certainty because I've been there, Iowa State's basketball players want to win more than any of us sitting out here. They know better than anyone what they need to do and how to do it, and I believe are giving us their best effort. I'm seeing improvement every game in both play and coaching.

Reactions: aauummm

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
You guys wanna bash someone...go to another thread. It's not happening in this thread. Be constructive in your posts or don't post at all. Consider this your warning.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Right. Or guys just plain got worn out, because playing against more athletic players took its toll.

These guys could deliver a pretty fantastic team, if they want to be a fantastic team. Nobody else can do it for them.

I'd love to inject some Haluska/Petey into these players. Were they the most talented? Nope, and they'd tell you as much, but they had something our current players have a shot to show yet....heart...as a team. Gilstrap, Brackins, Dendy, DG, Lucca, Christopherson, Boozer, Hamilton, etc. with the refusal to lose? 5 players on the floor putting out Haluska/Petey effort with Gilstrap, Brackins, Dendy, DG, Lucca, Christopherson, Boozer, Hamilton, etc. talent?

In the end, are you going to mess up? Yeah, ya are, but if you're going to **** up, do it giving 110%, nothing less.

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I have been a Cyclone fan for 30 years, and I'll always be a Cyclone fan. I want to this team to do great things like most others on this board.
There is a least one post on this thread that states that the team has made improvement this season. Statistically (numbers) points, rebounds, assists, etc. where has the improvement been? It's so easy to get stuck in the non-measureable things a team may be doing (like winning close games, which the Clones did a great job of recently) but really, statistics does say a lot about what is happening in a game.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I have been a Cyclone fan for 30 years, and I'll always be a Cyclone fan. I want to this team to do great things like most others on this board.
There is a least one post on this thread that states that the team has made improvement this season. Statistically (numbers) points, rebounds, assists, etc. where has the improvement been? It's so easy to get stuck in the non-measureable things a team may be doing (like winning close games, which the Clones did a great job of recently) but really, statistics does say a lot about what is happening in a game.

Our offense is much, much better this season than seasons past, and it isn't even close. Our defense is a complete flip. We've got a couple players that are willing to play defense, but the whole "team" defense isn't there. The talent is definitely there, the desire just has to be there.

IF they find the desire, this team is a sleeping giant.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I'd love to inject some Haluska/Petey into these players. Were they the most talented? Nope, and they'd tell you as much, but they had something our current players have a shot to show yet....heart...as a team. Gilstrap, Brackins, Dendy, DG, Lucca, Christopherson, Boozer, Hamilton, etc. with the refusal to lose? 5 players on the floor putting out Haluska/Petey effort with Gilstrap, Brackins, Dendy, DG, Lucca, Christopherson, Boozer, Hamilton, etc. talent?

In the end, are you going to mess up? Yeah, ya are, but if you're going to **** up, do it giving 110%, nothing less.
Amen. Haluska was the best defender i have seen in a while.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Message to the players: You don't like whats going on? Do something about it. ******** and complaining about tough practices on twitter and to your friends will do nothing. How in the world do the leaders of this team let a FRESHMAN get out of line? PUT HIM IN LINE. SOMEBODY step up and be a leader, get tough, get mean.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Our offense is much, much better this season than seasons past, and it isn't even close. Our defense is a complete flip. We've got a couple players that are willing to play defense, but the whole "team" defense isn't there. The talent is definitely there, the desire just has to be there.

IF they find the desire, this team is a sleeping giant.

The offense is a problem though as well. In the four games we have lost, we have only scored over 65 points once. No matter how good your defense is, its going to be tough to win if you don't score points. So don't sit there and act like its all the defenses fault, every facet of our game has to get better.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Message to the players: You don't like whats going on? Do something about it. ******** and complaining about tough practices on twitter and to your friends will do nothing. How in the world do the leaders of this team let a FRESHMAN get out of line? PUT HIM IN LINE. SOMEBODY step up and be a leader, get tough, get mean.

Good point. This should never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.