ISU-Oklahoma in game thread

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
I'm not sick about the game - that was last week.

There are certain THINGS about this game that makes me sick, but overall I thought we played well against a team that wanted to embarrass us.
Don't get me wrong, I thought they played really well today outside of a few mistakes. I'm not sick about the mistakes just the fact that a win would have been so huge and the team really deserved something great to happen today after coming back from last week.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Best defensive performance all season. 3 take aways and 1 give away. If we could only do something in the redzone. We missed a fieldgoal, didn't convert a 4th down, and threw an interception. I figure that cost us anywhere from 13 to 17 points. Either way, we win if get the points we are earning by moving the ball. Yards and plays mean nothing if you don't score. Very frusturating to watch. However, I finally believe we'll win another game and maybe two if we can continue improving and play defensively like we did today.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I'm happy these guys played so well, especially on defense but I'm also feeling sick right now. I can't get excited about moral victories and these guys had plenty of chances to get a real one. If we had a kicker I think we win this game but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

mharder

Apr 11, 2006
Rancho Cordova, CA
I'm happy these guys played so well, especially on defense but I'm also feeling sick right now. I can't get excited about moral victories and these guys had plenty of chances to get a real one. If we had a kicker I think we win this game but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Hopefully we will start to recruit kickers and stop relying on walk-ons.

brownie

May 13, 2006
Does anyone else think there should have been a safety on the interception in the end zone? It looks like, on the reply, that the defender came across the goal line with the ball and then went down back in the end zone.
A safety or possession on the one-foot line, either way, clearly not possession on the 20. Once you break the plane and enter the field, you can't return, it seems to me but I'm no referee. That missed call was HUGE. I have it on tape (VHS unfortunately) and he steps onto the field then returns to the endzone.
Not one to whine about officials, this was a great game for ISU. The future is bright. Lets stay behind these guys - they fought hard and brought an exciting game. Massive improvement from last week.
GO CLONES!!

jjl

Apr 11, 2006
After the train wreck last week and the beat down the week before I guess I'll take the moral victory this week. It at least inspires hope, especially having a good showing in front of the recruits.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
Hopefully we will start to recruit kickers and stop relying on walk-ons.

Chizik looked PISSED after the missed field goal(maybe Shaggy thought it was a punt?). I would think that is enough to convince him that recruiting a kicker is necessary.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
This, and the Iowa game convince me that at the very least, Coach Chizik can coach a complete game of football. The next step is to get players who know in their hearts that they can compete. Little tougher job, but doable.

Shneeg11

Oct 20, 2007
A safety or possession on the one-foot line, either way, clearly not possession on the 20. Once you break the plane and enter the field, you can't return, it seems to me but I'm no referee. That missed call was HUGE. I have it on tape (VHS unfortunately) and he steps onto the field then returns to the endzone.
Not one to whine about officials, this was a great game for ISU. The future is bright. Lets stay behind these guys - they fought hard and brought an exciting game. Massive improvement from last week.
GO CLONES!!

It would have been a safety had he broken the entire plane, the white line that he crossed D.J. Wolfe crossed was actually the ISU logo, and not the goal line. He was still 3-4 yards deep in the EZ, I watched the replay multiple times to make sure

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Great, effort today. If anyone would have told me earlier in the week the final score would have been 17-7, I would have taken it. We had our chances today, but so did Oklahoma with a few over thrown balls. My only complaint about ISU (Isn't that what message boards are for) is we threw to many east west passes. I understand OU has great D-backs, but with their team speed it's tough to move the ball with east/west plays. An upset today would have been huge to say the least, and you would like to see this team be rewarded after such a valiant effort. We get a few more guys in the next year, and we will finish these games.

FYI: MBB tickets arrived in the mail today.

brownie

May 13, 2006
I'm willing to beleive you - I don't want to see it all again.
Either way, it was all SO much better than anticipated. Positive thinking once again, and anticipating a win next week.

cyinthesky

Dec 12, 2006
totally agree... we had them on the ropes in the 4th. I can't help but think what might have been, had that pass not been deflected & intercepted.... had we actually scored. 14-14... and 1 last defensive stand... ahh, what could've been :eek:)

...outstanding effort Cyclones!

Not to mention: ...It was the first time Oklahoma had trailed at the half this season ...what thoughts could be running thru the heads of those possible recruits that were on the sidelines today! :eek:)

Last edited:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I have to say... on a whole good game.

I wish we could have capitalized on some of those turn overs
Refs were full of ****, especially in the 3rd and 4th quarter

Still GREAT effort on the part of our team

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
On a seperate note, what the **** was with the people leaving with 1:30 left? Your team just played a **** of a good game against a ranked oppent, STAY and CHEER YOUR TEAM OFF OF THE FIELD!!! Show them you appreciated the effort!!!

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I have to say... on a whole good game.

I wish we could have capitalized on some of those turn overs
Refs were full of ****, especially in the 3rd and 4th quarter

Still GREAT effort on the part of our team

Yeah I thought some of those spots were ridiculous...can't those be reviewed in CFB?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
The personal foul call for hands/arm to the face of the QB was horrible. Bret Meyer can stand back there in the pocket and get drubbed far worse than that with no call.

Operation Boomer Sooner was in full effect today, boys. Make no mistake about it. Oklahoma is the conference's best chance to make a good showing in the BCS. They can't afford to absorb another loss.

We got called for that hold by our receiver out on a screen pass and OU was doing that same thing ALL FREAKING GAME LONG with no calls. Unreal.

I hate being the conspiracy theorist, but whenever we play against teams like this, in situations like they are in (the conference needing to have strong teams not losing to cellar dwellers), I can't help but have these thoughts.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
You know it's bad when half the stadium starts chanting "Hol-ding! Hol-ding!"

To pull a Mangino, some of the officiating was complete and utter B(C)S. :wink:

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
The personal foul call for hands/arm to the face of the QB was horrible. Bret Meyer can stand back there in the pocket and get drubbed far worse than that with no call.

Operation Boomer Sooner was in full effect today, boys. Make no mistake about it. Oklahoma is the conference's best chance to make a good showing in the BCS. They can't afford to absorb another loss.

We got called for that hold by our receiver out on a screen pass and OU was doing that same thing ALL FREAKING GAME LONG with no calls. Unreal.

I hate being the conspiracy theorist, but whenever we play against teams like this, in situations like they are in (the conference needing to have strong teams not losing to cellar dwellers), I can't help but have these thoughts.

The reason they called the roughing the passer penalty was because Kurtis Taylor's hand touched Bradford's helmet. The rule these days is that ANY contact with a QB's head is grounds for a flag, but it was not a malicious hit, and Taylor had stopped his momentum. Totally bogus. Plus, on many of Meyer's scrambles, he received extracurricular shots to the head from the pile of Sooners on top of him. Pretty lame that we have to deal with that, but I guess it's to be expected.

We did get hosed on a couple of spots.