ISU-UNI POST game thread

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Breakdown#1 - Sanders or Meyer is the better qb?

Thread one to becomore more focused if people are interested.

Both are seniors and been around the block.

Blake was 23 for 29 for 180 yards and no picks. He managed his team like a bank president. He lost a touchdown when he stepped into a pass. He had totsl control of his offense and showed leadership and dependability. Grade = A-

Bret was 27 for 43 for255 yards and two pick aagain. One pick was blatantly ill advised. Bret scooted out to either side last game. This time they tried to make him more a pocket passer. He did not have a running game of consequence to help., He made some early runs which made good yardage. He never looked at Blyther but concentrated on Hamilton and Sumrall. He gained yards but lost it close to the red zone. Misfired at key times. Grade = C for UNI and D+ for KSU

So, the question is what would you do to improve Bret's game for the Iowa game? You make the coach call.

Examples:
Throw much more to tall, pushoff Blythe?
Throw deep which almost worked right out of the box?
Go back to a running game?
Put in under center more?
Go to Slant pass heaven?
Rush him on draws more?
Tell him to check off plays at the line for skulduggery?
Make him look off defenders?
Have him eat the ball more?
Tell him to get mad and get even and show emotion?
Rush him to the line with a play?
Use exclusibve no huddle?
Put Arnaud in the second quarter for awhile?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Breakdown #2 - What is p with Todd Blythe?

Rnning in and off the field changing up receivers. Caught 2 passes for 32 yards. Did 6 for 56 yards first game and a TD. Where has Todd gone? He will not be drafted at this point. He was not looked at by Bret much during the game. Bret the Focus Man looked to Marquis or to Sumrall most of the night. This seems easy for a defense to detect.

question: What would you do with Todd for the Iowa game?

Examples:
Decoy?
Ram Adam Shada every chance you had?
Make Todd block?
Play him every down?
Do an end around?
Punt returner since we cannot hold onto the ball?
Tell Bret he has to throw 10 times a game to Todd?
Replace Todd as he can be replaced if not thrown to?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Re: Breakdown#1 - Sanders or Meyer is the better qb?

Sanders is hands down. He has great vision, goot poise, and makes smart plays. Meyer has thrown 4 picks in 2 games now and just looks overmatched running the offense. He still has not learned when to just throw the damn ball away when he has no play and that's a big part of why he's been picked off too because he's usually forcing it or throwing an off balance pass under pressure. It's soooo frustrating watching him right now. I've said it before, he's a senior that is making mistakes you'd expect from a freshman or a 1st year starter at QB. And it's getting so painfully obvious with that he's still locking onto receivers or just looking to throw to 1 side of the field. Blythe might as well just stood there at the line of scrimmage and blocked because every time he lined up on the left side we didn't even look his way.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Breakdown #3: Snappers

We say we are working at improving and yet the snaping on al;l accounts looks like a high school team. The first game they went in slow motion. Now we are zipping and shooting them high or low (missed extra point, Bret fumbled high snap) and yetwe had no bad weather or no wind and not much pressure to do it. What will we do under tougher conditions? Looks like we have 3 blocking backs on punts because they do not trust our snapper or our punting is slow. I will not be surprised to see a ball kicked into someone's tail. Other team are not snapping as erratically.

Hey, a good coaching staff can fix this.

For the Iowa game, what would you do to improve snapping?

Examples:
Change snappers a s little to lose?
Take extra snaps?
Put snappers under bad conditions to check their stress level and performance capability (wind tunnel)?
Get a young guy for the next three years to snap?
Use a better finger snapper who is lightwight but dependable?Go with the old and say you trust him?
Start recruiting now?
Warn that you will lose your job with the next bad snap?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Breakdown #4: Punt Returners

Last time Sandvig muffed two punts with no wind and people flying down the field and then fell on both. Looked real bad and real lucky. Thuis week losing the ball continued to be a problem. We must be able to do better quickly in thsi area because it is a basic maneuver. If we cannot run and catch, let's just call a fair catch?

QUESTION: What would you do for the Iowa game as we are minor league on punt returns for minus five yards and cannot get much worse.

Example:
Use a wide receiver to handle all balls since we have so many to spare?
Put a blocker back to assist the return man to give him confidence?
Put more glue on their hands?
Tell the player to fair catch most of the time to be neutral?
Rush the punter heaven forbid?
Use the returner like a tyackling dummy t get him used to the five guys downfield tackling him?
Stop the five guys from getting downfield? Seems like a good move.
Switch the return person on every play just like tryouts?
Find out who is coaching special teams because we are much worse this year than last year?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Support the Clones #1 : James Smith Star

Iowan from Council Bluffs has recovered from a severe injury to make 12 tackles last night including two for losses. Way to go, James.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
Re: Support the Clones #1 : James Smith Star

Yeah he's going to be an anchor on our defense for the next few years.

He's a sophomore, correct?

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Support the Clones #1 : James Smith Star

Iowan from Council Bluffs has recovered from a severe injury last year to make 12 tackles last night including two for losses. Way to go, James.

The defense did their part in holding UNI to 327 yards and allowed no long plays from scrimmage. Allen Bell, Banks, and the two Smiths are trying very hard to make us a winner.

Keep supporting your team, fans. They need your support in these tough times before the Iowa game followed by the three monster marathon on the road and then the two headed viper of Oklahoma/Texas. Pretend it is your wife. You stick by her even though she may be a :::::

hthree

Apr 8, 2006
Re: Support the Clones #1 : James Smith Star

He is going to be very good. He really reminds me of Bob Sanders. A little short, but a hammer in run support. He will make a few mistakes, but will be outstanding overall.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Re: Breakdown #3: Snappers

We say we are working at improving and yet the snaping on al;l accounts looks like a high school team. The first game they went in slow motion. Now we are zipping and shooting them high or low (missed extra point, Bret fumbled high snap) and yetwe had no bad weather or no wind and not much pressure to do it. What will we do under tougher conditions? Looks like we have 3 blocking backs on punts because they do not trust our snapper or our punting is slow. I will not be surprised to see a ball kicked into someone's tail. Other team are not snapping as erratically.

Hey, a good coaching staff can fix this.

For the Iowa game, what would you do to improve snapping?

Examples:
Change snappers a s little to lose?
Take extra snaps?
Put snappers under bad conditions to check their stress level and performance capability (wind tunnel)?
Get a young guy for the next three years to snap?
Use a better finger snapper who is lightwight but dependable?Go with the old and say you trust him?
Start recruiting now?
Warn that you will lose your job with the next bad snap?

Longsnapping has not been a problem so far. We are using a different formation this year with our punts. It has nothing to do with the ability to snap the ball or how long it takes to get it off. It's just different coaching. Punting has been the most consistent part of the team this season. That is sad but true.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Re: Breakdown #3: Snappers

Longsnapping has not been a problem so far. We are using a different formation this year with our punts. It has nothing to do with the ability to snap the ball or how long it takes to get it off. It's just different coaching. Punting has been the most consistent part of the team this season. That is sad but true.

Correct, Purvis does the longsnapping on special teams and most have been fine with the possible exception of the missed XP against UNI.

The snapping problems have come from shotgun snaps from Johnson leading to a T/O in each game. This has to stop although I have been told by good centers that the shotgun snap is not as easy as one would think it is. I watched all-pro center Birk bounce one past the QB in today's Viking game. Maybe the solution is to bring in Adrian Peterson to help recover the errant ball like he did in the Vikings game.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I was at the game last night and it was frustrating, but I hope we are moving in the right direction. We need to see more defensive line pressure if that is possible. I really like the zip I saw out of Arnaud's thrown ball.

I think we will win one or two this year that maybe will be unexpected (as any might be right now). As long as we are building for the future I can deal with it (not that we really have a choice, I mean, we're just fans :smile:).

I really liked seeing the big crowd and the sea of red (ahem, edit, I mean cardinal). At least there was some fan support, but I got the feeling as the team disappointed, the fans couldn't get up for the game, and I know the feeling. I had it at times. I was in section 2 if anyone else was there.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Here were my frustrations:
1. Meyer was late on many of his passes, throwning after the WR cut, instead of before
2. Meyer seemed to zone in one receiver
3. Our tackeling seems poor, hitting instead of wrapping up
4. Putting Sandvig out again was a poor coaching decision
5. Don't try a fieldgoal outside of 40 yards until he makes one
6. No pass rush
What I liked:
1. running Meyer..he has to show some toughness
2. Arnad..his passes were brisk and on a line
3. our defense showed hustle, and they had to be exhausted
4. OL showed some improvement
Overall, not a very good effort, but without the turnovers, it was an even game. Same with Kent State. Without TO's, we would be about where we were last year. No better for sure.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Breakdown #6 - Can we run with the ball as well as we want?

JJ Bass had a great first half last week and then was stuffed. The second game he was bottled up most of the game . Robinson did not do any better. Last year Stevie Hicks did just as well in the first two games. Question comes are we strong enough in the oline to rush the ball or are we destined to pass first?

QUESTION: How can we successfully run the ball against the Hawkeyes?

Examples:
Run by commttee.
Bring in a big back?
Bring in end around gadget plays?
Use more tomfolery?
Fumblerooski?
Commit to straight ahead running?
Set up the run with a plethora of passes in first period?
Throw long a few times to spread them out?
Roll Bret out often as in first game and let him run as he has backups?
Use two tight ends most of the game since they can both catch?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Re: Breakdown #6 - Can we run with the ball as well as we want?

Fumblerooski?

Loved it in 92 vs KU, sadly I believe that it is a play that is no longer legal to use. Or maybe that's just high school where it is illegal.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Breakdown #7 - Can we tackle better?

The line could not catch anmd encircle the 5-5 Jarvis and little qb the first week. The second week the Lewis back out of nebraska left several tacklers in their tracjs as we did not move our feet. The rush defense is way worse this year when compared to the stellar offense in first two games last year?

QUESTION : How will we stop the Hawkeyes from running over us?

Examples:
Commit more players to force the pass from a young qb?
Actually blitz linebackers?
Move the dline around at last second?
Slant more?
Rotate players more?
Hold the ball more on offense?
Keep players fresh?
Run the ballourselves more to shorten the game like the first week?
Replace players as they make mistakes on a play?
Get the crowd more involved yelling by Ace asking for noise?

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Re: Breakdown #6 - Can we run with the ball as well as we want?

I thought robinson did pretty well in the second half.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Breakdown #8 - Refs

I thought the refs were very fair the first game. I did not notice them. The second game was pretty obnoxious on thee playcalls. Being the home we received the shaft on the fumble by the punt team. In ourtgrief at losing, the refs received a get out of jail free card/ I thought at times these refs were from Mo Valley Conf. Hope the Iowa game refs are more fair to the home team.

QUESTION: Will the refs be better for Iowa game?

Example:
The crowd should be more vociferous at the first questionable call?
Just ignore it, it is a game?
Refs are not that clever?
Be nice to them so they like us?
Sick Cy on them?
Have the band play Better Get Straight?

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Re: Breakdown #8 - Refs

What is the Mo Valley Conference?

Can you give more info on the fumble by the punt team? All I've heard around here is how Sandvig should be benched. What happened from your perspective that made it look like we got 'the shaft' on that fumble? Just curious.