ISU vs Iowa

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Honest question, will the wrestling clubs that the top schools have like PSU, OSU, and Iowa create something of a permanent advantage for them? I mean I know ISU is working hard to improve their club, but that Mizzou kid transferred to Iowa specifically for it right? Doesn’t PSU pick up guys in their club from other places? It just seems to me that it will be very, very difficult to get the level of recruit those schools get if they can constantly tout the training partners they’ll have because of their club programs.

I’m 100% a novice but this just seems to be a huge, huge advantage for the top programs right now.

That has been an advantage for the top programs for at least since the early days of Dan Gable at Iowa......Thats why the same programs win natl championships and the wannabees never make it.....

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
That has been an advantage for the top programs for at least since the early days of Dan Gable at Iowa......Thats why the same programs win natl championships and the wannabees never make it.....
But this can be built. PSU was nothing before Cael. TOSU created a championship team and one of the best RTCs in the country from the ground up.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
But this can be built. PSU was nothing before Cael. TOSU created a championship team and one of the best RTCs in the country from the ground up.

well, it did take one of the most famous wrestlers ever as their coach and millions in facilities.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Lol you would think that Degen shouldn't have gotten points there

Well, my point was about riding time and I do not think it was kept correctly there.

I thought the neutral zone count could have started more quickly. But based on when he started the count, I do not think 2 points were earned. Lugo did roll to his back but then he rolled back—by rule the count re starts each time that happens. Also, there was no control for a takedown at the end. A couple more seconds and he probably gets it but that’s how the cookie crumbles.

Degen initiated no offense from his feet and that was my biggest problem with the match. Very tough to win against a good wrestler by playing strictly defense.

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Not for TOSU.

Watch out for the NJRTC in the next few years too.

Ohio State also has some advantages, from an athletic department and geographic sense, that Iowa State doesn't have. Tom Ryan built that program up, but it also helps to have the support from such a large athletic department, while also being able to closely recruit Ohio and PA.

I agree though, for ISU to get to where they want, the Cyclone RTC needs to build to much bigger than it is. Bring in people to train in Ames, and this will bring in better recruits. I don't know the money situation for the RTC currently, but am also sure Dresser is doing what he can to build it up.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
well, it did take one of the most famous wrestlers ever as their coach and millions in facilities.

I agree with your assessment and also Cael Sanderson can recruit great wrestlers with just his name recognition, just like Johnny Orr did when he first got here at ISU....

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Well, my point was about riding time and I do not think it was kept correctly there.

I thought the neutral zone count could have started more quickly. But based on when he started the count, I do not think 2 points were earned. Lugo did roll to his back but then he rolled back—by rule the count re starts each time that happens. Also, there was no control for a takedown at the end. A couple more seconds and he probably gets it but that’s how the cookie crumbles.

Degen initiated no offense from his feet and that was my biggest problem with the match. Very tough to win against a good wrestler by playing strictly defense.

I'm not saying anything about riding time. The 2 points were earned on the neutral zone count but the official wasn't going to go back and correct himself. It was a poorly officiated match

Degen has had no problem beating Lugo and others by "playing strictly defense" in the past

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012

Degens offense is footsweeps, slide-bys, and funk. Hes really good at them, but sound kids like Lugo/Thomsen its not as effective.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Degens offense is footsweeps, slide-bys, and funk. Hes really good at them, but sound kids like Lugo/Thomsen its not as effective.

I would argue it has been effective against Lugo as Degen is 2-1 (should be 3-0) against him...

Another thing to consider with Degen is he has really only been wrestling for a little over a month. He missed all summer after he had surgery and he is still working his way back into wrestling shape. He always gets better as the year goes on, and I have full confidence he will place high come March in Minneapolis.