ISU vs Iowa

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Degens offense is footsweeps, slide-bys, and funk. Hes really good at them, but sound kids like Lugo/Thomsen its not as effective.
This. If you watch enough of his matches, his offense of his feet is not traditional looking singles or doubles. He gets jacks guys up like he kept trying to do to Lugo and once he gets him to the mat he just hooks long ass leg around and bingo, two points.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and buf87

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
I would argue it has been effective against Lugo as Degen is 2-1 (should be 3-0) against him...

Another thing to consider with Degen is he has really only been wrestling for a little over a month. He missed all summer after he had surgery and he is still working his way back into wrestling shape. He always gets better as the year goes on, and I have full confidence he will place high come March in Minneapolis.

From what i remember most those points were of scrambles.

And yes I expect Degen to AA again but it will really depend on his draw on how far he goes.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Well, my point was about riding time and I do not think it was kept correctly there.

I thought the neutral zone count could have started more quickly. But based on when he started the count, I do not think 2 points were earned. Lugo did roll to his back but then he rolled back—by rule the count re starts each time that happens. Also, there was no control for a takedown at the end. A couple more seconds and he probably gets it but that’s how the cookie crumbles.

Degen initiated no offense from his feet and that was my biggest problem with the match. Very tough to win against a good wrestler by playing strictly defense.

Degen many times doesn't do leg attacks. His offense is 2 on 1 and trying to do slide bys and use his leg to help gain control. Lugo wasn't allowing Degen to get good control on the 2 on 1 thus limiting the slide by.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I'm not saying anything about riding time. The 2 points were earned on the neutral zone count but the official wasn't going to go back and correct himself. It was a poorly officiated match

Degen has had no problem beating Lugo and others by "playing strictly defense" in the past

Well it was my comment on riding time that you replied to. Just wanted to make sure there was no confusion. The ref didn't count to 3 thus no points. Was the count slow? Could very well have been.

His wins over Lugo are both come from behind and they are in OT and in the final 25 seconds. In 3 matches, he's held the lead for less than a minute combined. Not sure that constitutes "no problem."

FWIW, I agree with all points on Degen's offense. Was hoping to see more, and perhaps put some distance between himself and Lugo, but maybe he is what he is. And what he is, is pretty good.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Well it was my comment on riding time that you replied to. Just wanted to make sure there was no confusion. The ref didn't count to 3 thus no points. Was the count slow? Could very well have been.

His wins over Lugo are both come from behind and they are in OT and in the final 25 seconds. In 3 matches, he's held the lead for less than a minute combined. Not sure that constitutes "no problem."

FWIW, I agree with all points on Degen's offense. Was hoping to see more, and perhaps put some distance between himself and Lugo, but maybe he is what he is. And what he is, is pretty good.

Degen comes from behind in every match

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I had heard so much about the Iowa HWT, he won but I don’t think I remember him taking a shot. TD was a counter off the Wisky shot. Did not see him against gremmel so first I’d seen him.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyGold

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
For anyone who missed the Iowa v. Wisco match, here's a quick recap...

BabyishClosedIguanodon-size_restricted.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Really? You talked about the "big matches" I imagine to include Desanto v. Gross, then you took a shot at Marinelli's wife, and then you referenced Cass. Just one?

Yep mentioned one match. Only one. Did not take a shot at Marinellis wife, I took the shot at Iowa hiring his wife. Have never seen a student athletes wife be on salary of a staff, seems convenient. Then I mentioned that the Iowa HWT didn’t shoot. I only saw the 133 as a big match.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yep mentioned one match. Only one. Did not take a shot at Marinellis wife, I took the shot at Iowa hiring his wife. Have never seen a student athletes wife be on salary of a staff, seems convenient. Then I mentioned that the Iowa HWT didn’t shoot. I only saw the 133 as a big match.

You didn't see #3 Marinelli v. #2 Wick as a big match? Seriously?

Whatever dude.

Yeah, Eli Stickley's sister, Marinelli's wife, has a special place in the Iowa wrestling family. If you're not aware of that story look it up. Then if you want to dump on that, feel free champ.

Help Support Us

Become a patron