It's okay to be pissed

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
yes, 4th and 7. Need to fix that

At the time I thought it was defensible. Now that I've had time to think about it I wish he would have sent out the FG unit. If he misses the 50 yard attempt, not a huge deal. Texas takes over at the 33. Maybe Texas flips the field even if they go 3 and out from there, but their punter has a ******* rocket launcher for a leg so ISU wasn't going to get good field position no matter where Texas punted from (barring a shank, of course). I don't blame him for not going for the conversion. With the way the offense was sputtering all night seven yards may as well have been 27. But the FG probably should have been attempted.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Did you mean 4th and 7? I've seen a few references to punting on 3rd and 7 but don't recall that happening. I assume this is the sequence. Definitely could make a case for going on fourth I agree.
  • 1st and 10 at TEX 46
    (1:25 - 1st) Jacob Park pass complete to Marchie Murdock for 10 yds to the Texas 36 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at TEX 36
    (1:16 - 1st) Jacob Park pass incomplete to Marchie Murdock

• 2nd and 10 at TEX 36
    (1:05 - 1st) David Montgomery run for 3 yds to the Texas 33

• 3rd and 7 at TEX 33
    (0:38 - 1st) Jacob Park pass incomplete to Allen Lazard

• 4th and 7 at TEX 33
    (0:31 - 1st) Colin Downing punt for 21 yds, fair catch by Armanti Foreman at the Texas 12
This staff seems to be very conservative which is not a bad thing but imo You have to go for it in that situation

CyStateOfMind

Jul 23, 2016
California
Damn man. What a frustrating game. I need to vent, I don't care if any of you actually read this.
I agree with Hines's article. No fun or Firepower in that game.

Offense: HOW MANY TIMES HAVE THEY LET US DOWN.
Defense: The defense actually played really well. Only allowing 17 points in a Big 12 game is enough to win. End of story.

Coaching: WE PUNTED INSIDE THE 40 2 TIMES!!!!!!! WHAT THE DAMN HELL.
Texas kicked a field goal. Why the damn hell didn't we at least kick a field goal??

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
One of the more disappointing moments for me in the game was when Texas attempted a 49 yard kick. This kicker was 1-4 with a long of 39 on the season. And yes, he had a blocked kick against Maryland (44 yard attempt). But ISU just stood there. No attempt at the block. And that kick was really low. They must have been holding out for the fake? Good call on that one.

Reactions: twojman

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
ISU fans went into that game with the idea that a victory more than a defeat was likely.
I do not know if this came from the confidence in your own program or the idea that UT was not any good.
Only thing Iowa State should be upset about is their expectations.

Thanks. Enjoy getting boat raced in the Red River Shootout. Our offense couldn't have played any worse last night and your team still couldn't put it away until the very end.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
ISU fans went into that game with the idea that a victory more than a defeat was likely.
I do not know if this came from the confidence in your own program or the idea that UT was not any good.

Don't think that's entirely correct. We think in opportunities. Nothing is certain for an ISU fan. Overconfidence is rarely seen.

So we're disappointed at the missed opportunity and know those are hard to come by

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

We're upset because we played like **** and had we just played okay we would have won by two possessions.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
One of the more disappointing moments for me in the game was when Texas attempted a 49 yard kick. This kicker was 1-4 with a long of 39 on the season. And yes, he had a blocked kick against Maryland (44 yard attempt). But ISU just stood there. No attempt at the block. And that kick was really low. They must have been holding out for the fake? Good call on that one.

Seem to not send pressure for punts either. When was the last time we blocked a punt and field goal?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
We're upset because we played like **** and had we just played okay we would have won by two possessions.

Yeah, anyone that watched that game could see our offense was a hot mess. A good portion of that was from Texas' defense. They're good, but our offense is substantially better than the crap we rolled out last night.

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
Thanks. Enjoy getting boat raced in the Red River Shootout. Our offense couldn't have played any worse last night and your team still couldn't put it away until the very end.

UT has played with OU the last three years winning one of them and having a chance to win in the other two.
OU is another team like ISU if you keep their offense off the field it becomes less effective.
Iowa State's offense looked like crap because of UT's defense.
UT has a very good secondary with NFL level talent 2 deep. Not to mention great LB's in Jefferson and Hughes.

UT is trying to be able to play spread football when needed but to be able to play Power football as well. Tom Herman did this at Ohio State.
The issue with Iowa State is that they cannot run the ball if needed. OU possibly can but UT has another huge game even before they play OU.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Seem to not send pressure for punts either. When was the last time we blocked a punt and field goal?

I know Texas's punter was kicking the **** out of the ball (save the one shank) but all year I've wondered what our plan is on punt returns. We don't ever go for the block, which is fine, but we also never seem to set up a return.

• Agree
Reactions: TwinCitiesCy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Also, what the hell happened to Deshaunte Jones? He was probably our second best receiver by the end of last year. We did a great job last year of getting him the ball in space and letting him make plays. I understand the infatuation with our big receivers, but seriously, the guy is a playmaker-- get him the ball some.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
UT has played with OU the last three years winning one of them and having a chance to win in the other two.
OU is another team like ISU if you keep their offense off the field it becomes less effective.
UT has a very good secondary with NFL level talent 2 deep. Not to mention great LB's in Jefferson and Hughes.

UT is trying to be able to play spread football when needed but to be able to play Power football as well. Tom Herman did this at Ohio State.
The issue with Iowa State is that they cannot run the ball if needed. OU possibly can but UT has another huge game even before they play OU.
You clearly don't know Iowa State like you think you do then. We didn't run last night, because of the coaches decision, and that hurt us more than anything.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Frustration started the very first possession when ISU had a 3rd and less than a yard...run, nope, Park sets up for a pass and is sacked. Holy crap, isolate the D-line and send Montgomery on a simple outside the end run. Sometimes it seems like Campbell wants to do too much and stay unpredictable. I'm okay with unpredictable, but sometimes predictable is the way to go. Don't get me going on how many times Park overthrows the receiver on simple sideline patterns...eventually he has to hit it...right?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Agreed. This is the first disappointing feeling I've had in Campbells tenure. Everything was set up for us to succeed, the defense did MORE THAN ENOUGH for us to win, and we laid an egg. I still think we're trending upward, but this game hurt.

This was the first game where I truly felt we were out-coached.

Totally disappointing because once we freed the defensive beasts in the 2nd half Texas' HUGE flaws were finally exploited... But for the offense.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

ORLY?

Tell me more about this Tom Herman character...

• Funny
Reactions: KnappShack

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Frustration started the very first possession when ISU had a 3rd and less than a yard...run, nope, Park sets up for a pass and is sacked. Holy crap, isolate the D-line and send Montgomery on a simple outside the end run. Sometimes it seems like Campbell wants to do too much and stay unpredictable. I'm okay with unpredictable, but sometimes predictable is the way to go. Don't get me going on how many times Park overthrows the receiver on simple sideline patterns...eventually he has to hit it...right?

I'll be curious to see the Sunday After write up regarding this. Once again, when Park missed he missed high. Was it mechanics again this week, the pressure getting to him, or a little bit of both? To me it looked like he wasn't stepping into his throws (sometimes because there was a defender in his grill, sometimes for no reason at all) and the ball was sailing on him, but my two years of junior high football don't exactly qualify me as an expert.

CaliforniaLonghorn

Sep 20, 2017
You clearly don't know Iowa State like you think you do then. We didn't run last night, because of the coaches decision, and that hurt us more than anything.

Do you understand the different types of Runs.
When you spread your opponent out with the pass it opens up huge running lanes and your RB looks unbelievable running for 10 yard gains.
When those passes do not connect because the timing between the QB and WR is off those lanes are not open.
Your entire game is dependent on your passing game and your passing game is dependent on timing.
UT thru off your timing because of pressure from multiple angles and from disgusting coverage.

That is why if you play the spread and your QB's timing is off you must be able to adjust by either having a QB that can run himself or a power running attack.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: srjclone

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
THIS. This was a very winnable game in the 4th Qtr, and our coaches had given up. Coaches stopped coaching, if they had ever started. Campbell's demeanor on the side line said "let's get this game over."
I said from the start that I was concerned when almost the entire staff were his guys from Toledo, including both coordinators, one of whom had been a position coach at that lower level. I would really have liked for Manning to be OL for a while at this level before getting thrown in to the fire. I would have liked them to hire the OC from outside.

• Agree
Reactions: SCarolinaCy