It's okay to be pissed

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I listened to Coach Campbell's presser on the way into work this morning, and I can honestly say I'm more irritated than I was when I went to sleep last night. He repeatedly mentioned that the game flow dictated Montgomery only receiving 9 carries.

They were down by 14 points at the beginning of the third quarter, and Texas had 4-5 guys in the box all night. That's not at all a situation where you completely go away from your best player and abandon the run game all together. Manning and the rest of the offensive staff **** the bed last night.
I think he would say we had no push upfront at any time. They also must have had some strong backups on their defensive line.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
What we saw was a terrible display of football. In a big spot, as they have so many times, they played boring, uninspired football and crapped the bed on national TV. You can be happy with Campbell and optimistic about the future but I don't see why we need to dance around it. If you had fun watching this game tonight more power to you, but for myself and many viewers that is 4 hours of time we can't get back.

I understand quibbles people may have about the defense - but they held Texas to 312 yards and 17 points. Texas punted 7 times and turned it over twice. Texas TOP was 40:31. That is absolutely a perfectly fine defensive performance in this conference.

However, as many, many people of have said, you had Texas lined up with a 3 man front for most of the second half and we handed off the ball 2 times in the 3rd quarter and 1 time in the 4th. Park didn't have it today and it was obvious. And in the second half of a totally winnable game, we hand the ball of to the best player on our team... 1.5 times a quarter.

We punted from the 33 yard line. That should never happen. Just absolutely baffling. When this coaching staff plays blackjack they stay on 9 while the dealer is showing a face card.

There were zero offensive adjustments made. They kept going to the same well that wasn't working. I'm not saying anybody should be fired (they shouldn't) I'm not saying you should be down on the future of the program (you shouldn't) but this is a game that we've seen ISU play too many times regardless of coaching staff.

There was a lot of talk about attendance before this game. Only 51,234 tickets were sold. They should be grateful more people weren't on hand to watch that abomination.

And this year's football poster is "Raise the Standard". Woof. Last night was a huge step backwards and totally frustrating as a fan. Wait nine more days to see this against OU.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Should have sent Park with the Ames varsity team last night and had the Ames QB Evan play for ISU. Evans completed 34 of 43 passes for 524 yards and five touchdowns and scored on three 1-yard quarterback sneaks and the backup QB threw a 56 yard pass for a TD>

Every time Parks rolled out last night, he just floated the ball up so only the players on the sidelines could catch it or the Texas DBs could.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Only 51,000 tickets sold for texass.....In the Walden and Criner eras the tickets sold would be 20,000 and 10,000 fans in the stands.....

Im still confident that Matt Campbell will get it done at ISU.....that said the fans need to brace themselves for a few really ugly games ...until Campbell and co get this Rhoads Mess turned into a consistent winner....

Go Cyclones

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think he would say we had no push upfront at any time. They also must have had some strong backups on their defensive line.

I kind of agree with that. The o-line was getting their ass handed to them last night whether Texas was rushing three or sending blitzers. If they couldn't hold up pass blocking then why bother thinking they'd have any more luck running the ball? I'm not thrilled with the play calling or game management by the coaching staff, but when the o-line is getting destroyed on every play it handcuffs the playcaller. Nothing worked last night. With that said, why they didn't do more to get Montgomery the ball in space where he could maybe make a couple guys miss and jumpstart the offense is beyond me.

On the bright side, I thought the defense hung in there and gave the offense multiple chances. Can't ask for much more than that.

As for Park, he didn't respond well to the pressure. That's a bit alarming, but let's keep things in perspective. He has what, seven or eight career starts? He'll get better at recognizing pressure and reacting accordingly with experience. I'm disappointed about the game, but overall still bull-ish on the direction of the program.

• Agree
Reactions: true2isu

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Texas was equally as bad. They just kept giving ISU chance after chance to do something with the ball and we just gave it back to them. Totally intimidated by Texas in our own stadium on national TV. This should of been the game ISU needed to showcase the new and improved Cyclones. Just embarrassing. Hell the TV play by play guys were talking about other games in the 4th, don't blame them.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think we all need a picture of some fluffy kittens to feel a little better...

fluffy_kittens_2-t2.jpg

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
One of the biggest ones for me I keep forgetting to mention, was the punt on the 33 yard line. That one said to me this coaching staff came in with no confidence, was scared and had a game plan of not to get blown out, instead of a plan to win the game. The play calling was bad offensively, but that punt is the one that is the most baffling to me.

This was one of the most frustrating games I've watched since the McCarney era. (There have been others since, for sure, but this one really stands out.) It had that McCarney coached game feel to it. More of a "Let's hope good things happen" instead of going out and making things happen." It really reminded me of the time Mac decided to kick a field goal, with less than a minute left in the game and we were down by 7.

The worst part was the announcers were saying everything I was saying. I can't stand announcers normally, but when they are going on and on about all the mistakes the staff is making, it makes it even worse. I mean how many times did they say, "Get it to Montgomery, if it's a screen pass, swing pass, whatever, just get the ball in his hands. And then you watch the staff do the exact opposite.

Crazy thing is I never really got pissed the entire game, it was too frustrating to get me mad. I really had no other emotion than frustration.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Let's be honest- Campbell is not that good at coaching. Every "big " game has him choking royally. I am not impressed and his apathetic attitude is wearing me out. Passion is lacking with this guy - and it showed last night. TM is overmatched and clueless. The miracle worker at Olines got his ass handed to him all night. The OC. Job is too much for him and CMC won't acknowledge it . CGC and CPR made same mistake. Tenure will be short after another 3-9 season.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
This was always my concern with bringing over your entire staff of young guys. They are inexperienced and haven't learned from a number of systems. It is time to go get an experienced OC. And now I'm not just going from one game. How many times have we run the same play 2-3 times in a row in the past year?

It is like they watched film and became WAY too scared of a couple D-linemen. Then they coached scared and then the team played scared. That is disappointing but hopefully something to learn from.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TwinCitiesCy

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
It wasn't even that they laid an egg. They regressed. I've lost all hope for this team, this year. Lots of talent on offense, but not a good offense.

Manning might need to be reevaluated as O coordinator before its too late. 12 days to put that game plan together and then make those play calls and seemingly zero adjustments... I remember CPR stubbornly refusing to get rid of Messingham, which was basically the beginning of the end for him.

On the bright side, the D looks way better than advertised.

At least the Cub's post season will span the gap between now and basketball.
IMO Park has not been sharp the last two games. He has not seen pressure like he saw last night all season.
Some harsh facts: the Texas defense is way too athletic for us to handle. No contest, and although I agree with many comments about our play calling etc., our OL could not handle them. Hard to win when dominated in the trenches. Also, I agree our defense played pretty good, but the Texas offense is not good. Judging from one game, they might be the worst offense we have played ... or at least equal to UNI and Akron. But their defense is light years better than the vaunted eiu defense. We were lucky to score 7. Our offense is not as good as many want to believe. I think Montgomery and Butler are very good.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think it's fair to hand the coaching staff on offense an F for this game. The players didn't grade out well either. Drops, poor run blocking, terrible pocket presence, lack run attempts, lack of gusto to go for it on 4th when you should, confusion, just a horrible grade for the entire offense.

Defense, minus two bad penalties might have held Texas to only 3 points last night. I didn't agree with the 3 man rush, but it worked.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
How many games did San Fran win after Kap decided to be a social justice warrior?

I'm sorry, maybe you're being sarcastic and I'm just not picking up on it. But are you seriously suggesting that Lazard's tweet played a major part in their performance last night?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'm sorry, maybe you're being sarcastic and I'm just not picking up on it. But are you seriously suggesting that Lazard's tweet played a major part in their performance last night?

ISU was just manhandled, so I will say no, but I am also sure that his tweet caused several hours of meetings to determine what players were thinking, how to respond, a press conference, etc. In other words, I am sure it didn't help the team get ready for last night.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
We looked awful and it was a boring game. The calls at the end where the refs kept screwing up was annoying. I think the program will be okay. At least we didn't lose 70-0.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm holding out losing all hope until the Oklahoma beat down. Until then I'm firmly in the apathetic category

I think I'm kinda here...nothing was surprising about last night. It's not like ISU's been winning a lot or didn't find a way to lose a winnable game just 3 weeks ago.

I didn't think they looked too sharp at Akron, and although I only caught the 2nd half last night, they still didn't look like a team on the verge of anything interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron