Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
An interesting comment (if you're unable to listen to the pod) - Pollard mentioned there were 12 versions of the bracket entering Sunday (due to pending conference tournament championships). All had ISU w/ the same matchup (SDSU-WSU/Drake) ... More notable (to me) - if Wisconsin had defeated Illinois, Duke would have been shifted to 3 seed in the East. (He didn't say where Illinois would have been placed, either for seeding or region).

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Not really. Asked how CyTown would stay viable outside of major events - he mentioned the medical facility that is expected to have 1,000+ doctors/patients each day. Mentioned the amphitheatre, holiday/farmers market type events.

When asked if we'll schedule tougher non-con opponents for basketball he said we only have 6 non-con games outside of Iowa, Big East Challenge, and Maui, and that all 6 of those will be buy games against lessor opponents. I don't see a problem with that as that should be enough to have a better non-con SOS.

Said while we luckily didn't get chosen to have any conference games on Thurs/Fri this season, we should expect to at some point within the next few years.
If there really are 1,000+ visitors and workers a day I will be impressed. With this location and all of their other locations in Ames they must see a lot of patients.
Still really wish a walk-in clinic wasn't in the most prime location of this entertainment district... but it is what it is I guess.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I want what he’s smoking if he thinks there will be 1,000/day. Plus not sure how that sustains a lot of commerce in Cytown. People are going to build a full day around getting a strep test?

• Winner
Reactions: Messi

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Do we know what bars/restaurants will be in Cytown yet?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I want what he’s smoking if he thinks there will be 1,000/day. Plus not sure how that sustains a lot of commerce in Cytown. People are going to build a full day around getting a strep test?
Do we know that McFarland/Mary Greeley isn't closing down satellite offices for this facility though?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Pollard was also asked if someday that athletes will be paid employees of the university... he said "yes." He thinks that is where college athletics is headed.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
An interesting comment (if you're unable to listen to the pod) - Pollard mentioned there were 12 versions of the bracket entering Sunday (due to pending conference tournament championships). All had ISU w/ the same matchup (SDSU-WSU/Drake) ... More notable (to me) - if Wisconsin had defeated Illinois, Duke would have been shifted to 3 seed in the East. (He didn't say where Illinois would have been placed, either for seeding or region).

It all depended on the non-con SOS for Illinois. :jimlad::puke:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Also mentioned we will go to 20 conference games next year. Is that the first confirmation we've had of that?

They’ve said this for quite a while.

I think it’s the wrong move now that the committee says non conf games in November are more important than playing the #1 ranked team three times in Jan/Feb. if that’s the reality we should do a 15 game schedule and just play everybody once. They don’t value conference games.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not really. Asked how CyTown would stay viable outside of major events - he mentioned the medical facility that is expected to have 1,000+ doctors/patients each day. Mentioned the amphitheatre, holiday/farmers market type events.

When asked if we'll schedule tougher non-con opponents for basketball he said we only have 6 non-con games outside of Iowa, Big East Challenge, and Maui, and that all 6 of those will be buy games against lessor opponents. I don't see a problem with that as that should be enough to have a better non-con SOS.

Said while we luckily didn't get chosen to have any conference games on Thurs/Fri this season, we should expect to at some point within the next few years.

That should 100% be the strategy when you play in an upper echelon holiday tournament. It years like this past one where you either need a better Big East opponent, Iowa not sucking, or one more quality game. Next year the Big 12 is going to be really overanalyzed on the non con. People were beating that drum at the end of the season but with the conference tournament performance being pretty poopy and the ACC overachieving that narrative is gonna pick up a lot of steam.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I think it’s the wrong move now that the committee says non conf games in November are more important than playing the #1 ranked team three times in Jan/Feb. if that’s the reality we should do a 15 game schedule and just play everybody once. They don’t value conference games.

The committee will value those conference games over a Q3 or Q4 game though. 20 games is the right move.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I assumed we were going to 20 games, just hadn't seen it confirmed from anyone. I agree that the emphasis on non-con games needs to be reevaluated. That being said, our non-con SOS is going to increase.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
That should 100% be the strategy when you play in an upper echelon holiday tournament. It years like this past one where you either need a better Big East opponent, Iowa not sucking, or one more quality game. Next year the Big 12 is going to be really overanalyzed on the non con. People were beating that drum at the end of the season but with the conference tournament performance being pretty poopy and the ACC overachieving that narrative is gonna pick up a lot of steam.
plus 20 conf games vs. 18

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
imo - need a spot in Cytown with a full kitchen. West O, to my knowledge, only does a pizza truck a few days a week at their Okoboji location
I keep wondering if El Azteca will put another location in there. Would make sense but I don’t know if they can sustain 3 locations in town. I know they have considered it.

• Disagree
Reactions: jcisuclones

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron