Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Guess I don't really see it being an issue. We kind of had a perfect storm this year. Orlando didn't have very good teams and we lost to two of them. Iowa sucked. We got stuck with Depaul probably because the conference didn't think we'd be any good. Most years, we're in a better MTE, we get a better team in the Big East, and iowa is better than they are now. I wouldn't go too crazy changing the schedule just because we got knocked down from a 1 to a freaking 2.

I’m with you. We can’t control much. If we scheduled 3 other HM teams this year and played a tougher team in the BE and MTE we’d have no guarantee of being in a better spot.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
20 conference games
Iowa
Big East opponent
MTE
6 slappies

That's basically the scheduling formula going forward, like it or not.

I think there is room there for a home and away with another Midwest school but those are getting harder and harder to schedule.

Reactions: drlove

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
20 conference games
Iowa
Big East opponent
MTE
6 slappies

Yep

As much as I want to see Wisconsin/Minny/Creighton/Xavier/Mizzou/Marquette come through as home and homes, what you've got is likely the schedule for the forseeable future

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
It's funny to me that people who complain about a boring noncon are typically the same people who complain about not winning enough games.
As a season ticket holder, I think there should be 1 "interesting" NON-con home game besides Iowa each season.
From a competitive standpoint, play whatever schedule gives you the best shot at the end. It appears that some of the teams scheduled could have been replaced with some that were slightly more competitive and helped, but how much?

I can't help but wonder how much finances/payouts for opponents factored into the schedule.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
As a season ticket holder, I think there should be 1 "interesting" NON-con home game besides Iowa each season.
From a competitive standpoint, play whatever schedule gives you the best shot at the end. It appears that some of the teams scheduled could have been replaced with some that were slightly more competitive and helped, but how much?

I can't help but wonder how much finances/payouts for opponents factored into the schedule.
Coming into the season, we were transitioning from one of the most experienced teams in the country to one of the least experienced. How was TJ supposed to know this group would come on this strong? Of course, your hindsight is more accurate.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

That would basically require us to play two more quality non con games because most teams are only signing up for a home and home. That isn't happening since the new conference slate will be 20 games.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
NIL for non conference is coming:

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, I know they usually catch a team or two doing the "tour" around midwest schools and probably get them much cheaper as they have their travel kind of figured out, etc.

But to your point, would be interesting to see how much those payouts are adjusted for opponent and how much could be make up with more gate/ticket sales (based on a good match up).

Reactions: drlove

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
That would basically require us to play two more quality non con games because most teams are only signing up for a home and home. That isn't happening since the new conference slate will be 20 games.
the 20 game conference is a factor. Personally, I would prefer getting rid of many of the neutral site tourneys, but that isn't likely to happen either.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Yeah, I know they usually catch a team or two doing the "tour" around midwest schools and probably get them much cheaper as they have their travel kind of figured out, etc.

But to your point, would be interesting to see how much those payouts are adjusted for opponent and how much could be make up with more gate/ticket sales (based on a good match up).
A team like Grambling costs around $60k plus a travel stipend. A Valley or A10 team costs around $100k and they usually take care of their own travel since they're flying everywhere anyway.

Doesn't take a ton of tickets/concessions to make up that difference.

Reactions: Messi

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
A team like Grambling costs around $60k plus a travel stipend. A Valley or A10 team costs around $100k and they usually take care of their own travel since they're flying everywhere anyway.

Doesn't take a ton of tickets/concessions to make up that difference.
Thanks for sharing those numbers....yeah, you'd think the math would work out and make it worth it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Getting VCU in the November tournament was unfortunate. The other 2 were ranked when we played them. This year's field is stacked. Iowa still gonna suck. We're adding 2 more conference games. The big xii owes a ranked big east opponent. We should be fine.

But I'd ask Drake for a couple year late December date at the Well. (Neutral site likely Q1 at least this year plus 75% Cyclone fans)
Just don't understand the obsession of playing at the Well. They can either play us in Hilton or not at all. I'd take a 2 Hilton 1 Knapp before playing at the Well.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Just don't understand the obsession of playing at the Well. They can either play us in Hilton or not at all. I'd take a 2 Hilton 1 Knapp before playing at the Well.
playing drake in WFA on a Saturday night is more attractive than playing some SWAC team in Hilton at noon on an NFL Sunday

i'd propose to Drake
odd years game in Hilton
even years game in WFA

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
playing drake in WFA on a Saturday night is more attractive than playing some SWAC team in Hilton at noon on an NFL Sunday

i'd propose to Drake
odd years game in Hilton
even years game in WFA
That would be fine, but the rumors are also ISU has offered Drake and UNI a 2 for 1 and they declined. If that's true, those schools also should get some blame for the schools not playing because that's still a good offer when you look at the other high major schools across the country.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
That would be fine, but the rumors are also ISU has offered Drake and UNI a 2 for 1 and they declined. If that's true, those schools also should get some blame for the schools not playing because that's still a good offer when you look at the other high major schools across the country.
UNI offered a 5 year series and Iowa State turned it down.

Ames-CF-Ames-DSM-Ames

That's a 4 for 1 for all intents and purposes.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
UNI offered a 5 year series and Iowa State turned it down.

Ames-CF-Ames-DSM-Ames

That's a 4 for 1 for all intents and purposes.
Interesting. I thought I'd heard otherwise on one of the CF podcasts, but maybe I misheard.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Non-conference SOS isn’t a reason. It’s an excuse. There is a difference. We could jack up our non-conference schedule next season and if we somehow duplicated our results the committee would find some other but… but… but.. excuse to protect brands. It’s a ******* sham. We always get ****** because we’re not Kansas.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
20 conference games
Iowa
Big East opponent
MTE
6 slappies

Thinking we should opt out of the big east challenge and control our own schedule. Also time to take a break from Iowa and try to get someone with a pulse. Before you tell me we aren't dropping Iowa save it. I already know. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't.