JoePa Fired/What is happening at Penn State?!?!

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Pa. Gov. Corbett to file lawsuit against NCAA over Penn State sanctions | CharlotteObserver.com

The commonwealth will sue the NCAA over the sanctions imposed on Penn State resulting from the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

Gov. Tom Corbett will announce Wednesday that he is filing a federal lawsuit against the NCAA for its sanctions against Penn State, according to a news release from the Governor’s Office.
Corbett will hold an 11 a.m. news conference Wednesday in the Alumni Fireside Lounge of the Nittany Lion Inn.
The state is acting without the university in preparing the lawsuit. Penn State spokesman David La Torre told the CDT that the university is not aware of the lawsuit.
University trustee Anthony Lubrano also said he didn’t have much information on the lawsuit.
“If true, I’m glad that the governor has finally come to agree with my point of view that the NCAA had no authority to intervene in this matter,” he said Tuesday. “I do wonder why it took him so long to come to that point of view.”
The NCAA levied severe penalties on the university, including a $60 million fine, a four-year bowl ban, a drop in the number of football scholarships the university can offer and the vacating of the football team’s wins from 1998 to 2011. It’s not been determined whether all the sanctions or portions of them are targeted in the suit.
Penn State in July accepted the sanctions and in December paid $12 million in penalties into an escrow account. University President Rodney Erickson accepted the sanctions claiming the alternative would be the “ death penalty,” so called because it would have completely closed down the football program for four years.
Erickson had said he was told of the NCAA’s plans to levy a four-year football shutdown because of the role university leaders allegedly played in the hiding of accusations against Sandusky in 1998 and 2001.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Let them play in the FCS... they are lucky they are allowed to suit up.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Wasn't one of the conditions of not being levied a "death penalty" was that Penn State didn't fight it?

And I'm sorry, a state school = state government, so this would count in my book.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Wasn't one of the conditions of not being levied a "death penalty" was that Penn State didn't fight it?

And I'm sorry, a state school = state government, so this would count in my book.

your book would be wrong, then, because that's not how it works. Penn State does not speak for the state attorney general or the governor. It's a state funded institution, but the university has no control over whether or not the state government chooses to take action.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Corbett was the Attorney General in Pennsylvania before being governor. His actions as AG allowed Sandusky to continue molesting boys while everybody (including Corbett) looked the other way. This might be as much about covering his own *** as anything else.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
your book would be wrong, then, because that's not how it works. Penn State does not speak for the state attorney general or the governor. It's a state funded institution, but the university has no control over whether or not the state government chooses to take action.

But, being a state funded institution, wouldn't they be liable for their "state" lawsuit on their behalf?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
But, being a state funded institution, wouldn't they be liable for their "state" lawsuit on their behalf?
That's another issue entirely, though.

When it comes to conditions of the NCAA punishment, Penn State can't promise that the governor/attorney general of Pennsylvania will not fight them. The power doesn't work that way.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

When it comes to conditions of the NCAA punishment, Penn State can't promise that the governor/attorney general of Pennsylvania will not fight them. The power doesn't work that way.

But the loophole does

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

From the article
University trustee Anthony Lubrano also said he didn’t have much information on the lawsuit.

“If true, I’m glad that the governor has finally come to agree with my point of view that the NCAA had no authority to intervene in this matter,” he said Tuesday. “I do wonder why it took him so long to come to that point of view.”

The trustees are complicit in this and, should the NCAA decide to see it that way, have gone back on their part of the agreement not to fight the sanctions. The NCAA would be well within their rights to give the PSU football team the death penalty as soon as the lawsuit is filed.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Fine governor. Repeal these special penalties and give Penn state the punishment they were going to get.. enjoy the death penalty.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
From the article

The trustees are complicit in this and, should the NCAA decide to see it that way, have gone back on their part of the agreement not to fight the sanctions. The NCAA would be well within their rights to give the PSU football team the death penalty as soon as the lawsuit is filed.

one trustee expressing his opinion does not make the entire board complicit or the university. The fact is, the trustees approved Penn State accepting the punishment. That's been their official stance on it. Obviously there was some dissention, but I don't think it require a unanimous vote, did it?

Last edited:

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Completely agree with the sanctions against Penn State, but the way they went down the NCAA should have expected this. The rumored "ultimatum" was a sham from the word go.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I just meant, they are using a loophole. No chance Penn St has nothing to do with this. Publically maybe...

It's only the provable part that matters, though. We can assume and guess that they're involved in it, but the NCAA would be stupid to claim that the deal had been violated, and impose further sanctions, without clear proof, because Penn State will fight that one.

Help Support Us

Become a patron