John Calipari to Arkansas

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't think Tang was actually ever seriously in the running for Arkansas.

I think Kentucky looks at Oats, Drew, Underwood, Beard, Lloyd. It won't be Hurley, Wright or Donovan.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Does Oats have any connections to UK or is it just one of those, good coach in our conference so we want him? Can't imagine bama would be happy about losing their coach so I expect their boosters to open their wallets.

If I was UK i would go after Scott Drew.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
IMO this is all on Cal. His resistance to grow and adapt to modern recruiting and his distain for NIL would certainly turn off some of today's best athletes. The transfer portal and NIL has "aged" the college game. IMO recruiting is still the lifeblood of success but now there are more avenues for recruiting other than just high school seniors and Cal just didn't seem interested in changing with the times.

Cal's not anti NIL, he's anti other teams being able to buy players like he has his entire run at Kentucky. He was able to put all of the pieces together a couple of seasons but his formula just doesn't seem to work. Great, he's had a ton of talent come through the program but he really doesn't have much to show for it. Cal is a used car salesman and Arkansas is gonna find that out too. The SEC is also much more competitive now than it was when Kentucky was king.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Cycsk

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Cal was getting really close to being run out of Kentucky, so I’m really not that surprised.
Cal was close to getting fired at Kentucky. Now he has new contract and a pay raise somewhere else.

Tang's agent floats his name out there for the Arkansas job (even if Arkansas wasn't interested) and he gets a raise.

I should have been a sports agent.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
An ESPN+ article lists him as a possible replacement...but then states that TJ's buyout is $18+ million so...
Oats has a similar sized buyout, so I don't think money is the problem. UK is the better job but I don't think TJ would be interested, especially from a culture fit.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Oats has a similar sized buyout, so I don't think money is the problem. UK is the better job but I don't think TJ would be interested, especially from a culture fit.

He may or may not be interested...but the boosters at UK will not be interested in paying $18 million for TJ to leave ISU...I mean, we LOVE him...and I think he would be a home run hire for UK! But I am guessing whoever is planning to pay a buyout for their new coach to leave their former job...will not look at $18 million for TJ as a good thing? I am guessing they see themselves as hiring the any coach they want...no matter what job that person may currently hold!

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Candidates for the Kentucky job (according to fans):
Coach K
Phil Jackson
Steve Kerr
Danny Hurley
Tom Izzo

• Haha
Reactions: JP4CY

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Good move for everyone. Cal gets a fresh start at a place with less pressure but tons of money. UK gets a fresh start with any coach they want minus just a few. Works for both schools, only negative will be the school that currently has the future UK coach.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric