J'Vonne Hadley (Curtis Jones' cousin) to have zoom meetings with Iowa State & MSU this week

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Louisville was 8-24 this season. Hadley might be their best player, which I'm sure sounds appealing. Oh wait, it's the money! Duh!
With guys they have coming in to visit and the amount of money they have to play with….they will more likely be ranked and a tourney team next year.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He is going to be getting a huge pay day and will be a number 1 option to help improve his draft stock. I’m fine with that. Either way I have a feeling it will work out for all parties and it won’t disrupt our team chemistry with an already loaded roster. No need attack character.
He's doing this bc he knows he won't get drafted. He's taking the money while it's there.

Last edited:

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
**Paid $265K to come to the Ville***

Per their forums

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
With guys they have coming in to visit and the amount of money they have to play with….they will more likely be ranked and a tourney team next year.
So all of a sudden they have NIL but they didn't the last 2 or 3 years when they were the worst team in college basketball?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not so sure. They're starting from scratch (12 outgoing transfers) and have 4 portal transfers signed:

Hadley (SF) from Colorado
James Scott (C) from Charleston
Reyne Smith (SG) from Charleston
Terrence Edwards (G) from JMU

I know they are throwing around a ton of money and in on some bigger name transfers - but if they don't hit on a bunch of those, they are going to need to play way over their heads

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
So all of a sudden they have NIL but they didn't the last 2 or 3 years when they were the worst team in college basketball?
They have plenty of money, can easily compete on the national level. Didn't like the last coach and fanbase was ready to move on.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
They have plenty of money, can easily compete on the national level. Didn't like the last coach and fanbase was ready to move on.
They were terrible for a couple years before Payne even got there. This was obviously about him getting the largest payday possible.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
What is the strategy for the transfer portal? Do you pounce on guys right away before the tourney ends or do you wait and see how the cards fall with the blue bloods going on a spending spree?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That would take a TJ-like effort, and that's the exception, not the norm. They could pull that off, but there are plenty of teams who spent like crazy last year and went on to disappoint.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I'm not so sure. They're starting from scratch (12 outgoing transfers) and have 4 portal transfers signed:

Hadley (SF) from Colorado
James Scott (C) from Charleston
Reyne Smith (SG) from Charleston
Terrence Edwards (G) from JMU

I know they are throwing around a ton of money and in on some bigger name transfers - but if they don't hit on a bunch of those, they are going to need to play way over their heads
They might have had the worst coach in the country last year which I assume meant people weren't willing to support (this is kind of what I’ve read but it’s obviously an assumption).

What is not an assumption is that at the beginning of April they had a $1 million match and almost raised half of it in 1 day. I think they are pretty much to their goal now, if not already met it. That’s $2 million in two weeks. Isn’t that our entire NIL for all sports? Yeah they have money.

Not saying they land all of those guys but if their coach can even half recruit and coach they’ll be fine. Obviously he has to land the guys first.

• Wow
Reactions: bawbie

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

Some people on Twitter were saying that some of their football NIL checks "bounced" and were joking that the basketball checks might do the same.

Basically implying that their collective didn't have the money to pay for everything they promised.

• Haha
Reactions: NoCreativity

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
That would take a TJ-like effort, and that's the exception, not the norm. They could pull that off, but there are plenty of teams who spent like crazy last year and went on to disappoint.
I should have prefaced, yes they have to land the guys first but people have to get out of the mindset of past results weighing as much as it used to. Teams can flip the switch and win fast these days.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He turned down a starting spot on a consensus pre-season Top 10 team next year and a chance to play with his cousin for two of the worst Power 6 teams last year.

I don't think anything else needs to be said about his motives or character. Good riddance.
How is that a character issue? NM, I don't care. Just go be butthurt somewhere else.