J'Vonne Hadley (Curtis Jones' cousin) to have zoom meetings with Iowa State & MSU this week

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
If the staff doesnt count on him this year he is in the portal less than 12 months from now. They counted on Hunter, Lipsey and Momcilovic as true freshman. Indrusaitis is going to come in ready to go. Hunter, Lipsey and Momcilovic were thrown into the fire as true freshman as well in promary roles. Indrusaitis be eased in as a role player.

All Im saying is lets be cognizant of recruiting over these high profile freshman with 4 years of eligibility and the building blocks of our program.

This is true, but it’s also true that, especially in the portal era, if you’ve got a potential championship team, you go all in. Especially if you haven’t been to a Final Four in 80 years. I expect TJ to be in the tournament almost every year, but next year’s team has the potential for unprecedented greatness.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
This is true, but it’s also true that, especially in the portal era, if you’ve got a potential championship team, you go all in. Especially if you haven’t been to a Final Four in 80 years. I expect TJ to be in the tournament almost every year, but next year’s team has the potential for unprecedented greatness.
I agree. Im 100% on board with that. I understand the all-in mind set heading into next year.

Reactions: exCYtable

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
We're still going to have a top 10 roster going into next year. Hadley is a top 10 portal guy. Those are always going to be tough for ISU to land, but TJ can still get the players he needs to have a damn good team. Coaching and culture still matter a lot.

Where is everyone seeing Hadley as a top ten portal guy. I see people keep saying that but I don't see him listed anywhere in the top ten for Transfers.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
We're still going to have a top 10 roster going into next year. Hadley is a top 10 portal guy. Those are always going to be tough for ISU to land, but TJ can still get the players he needs to have a damn good team. Coaching and culture still matter a lot.
We are pre-season top 5 with the current roster we have.. anything additional from here on out is gravy.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Give those minutes to Nojus Indrusaitis. I understand we are "all-in" for a Final 4 run next year but lets continue to invest in the future at the same time. Prep recruits need to continue to be the foundation. Developmental program. Indrusaitis is a stud could very well have a Momcilovic type impact his freshman year.

If he can play then I agree. I think it would behoove us to throw at least one freshman in to the fire each year. Would make the NIL/transfer game just that much easier year over year. A little pain for some nice gain down the line.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Where is everyone seeing Hadley as a top ten portal guy. I see people keep saying that but I don't see him listed anywhere in the top ten for Transfers.

I was wondering the same thing.

Not in 247s Top 25.

#35 in CBS Sports rankings https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...s-as-robbie-avila-aaron-bradshaw-test-waters/

Number 161(!) in Rivals https://n.rivals.com/transfer_tracker/basketball/2024

Number #74 in On3 https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/industry/basketball/2024/

He was 4th on his team in scoring. His

I think we can pump the breaks on this guy being some kind of elite, difference making player. He'd have been a nice piece, but my goodness some of you need to take a bit of a step back from the ledge.

Last edited:

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
OIP.vAp4PS7RiGa71ApbSz0u6QHaJa

On a serious note, it sucks to lose Hadley because I thought he was a sneaky good transfer. However, he was never openly committed in the first place so I won't lose sleep over it. I trust TJ to find a replacement.

Reactions: Baseline23

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Lol at calling Lipsey and Momcilovic role players. Get a grip dude!
Look at their usage as freshman. Of course, Lipsey only had that because a transfer got hurt, AJ Green went pro…and a freshman recruit like Hunter proved that high school recruiting is no more stable than transfer

You do realize the staff prioritized Hadley. That should tell you how idiotic your Nojus/freshman comments are.

The staff has no issue recruiting over players- certainly no issue recruiting over freshman.

Get a grip- it’s been about transfers for years

Reactions: Raywswartz

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Not in 247s Top 25.

#35 in CBS Sports rankings https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...s-as-robbie-avila-aaron-bradshaw-test-waters/

I think we can pump the breaks on this guy being some kind of elite, difference making player. He'd have been a nice piece, but my goodness some of you need to take a bit of a step back from the ledge.

It's difficult to rank transfers. It happens fast and the volume is incredible. However, 247, rivals, On3 do an especially terrible job at it. The David Cobb/CBS list you linked looks decently well done. Sam Vecenie at the Athletic does a nice job and gives even more in-depth scouting reports.

We aren't in need of many of the "top guys" because we don't need anymore high usage players. Hadley was a perfect fit with his low usage, efficiency, and versatility. The staff had a great plan here and it sucks to miss out. He was a raise the ceiling type piece.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
He's probably not. I was going off what another poster said. But I still think upper classmen who started on high major teams that went to the tournament are going to be out of our price range for the most part. These are going to be very coveted players regardless of where some service has them ranked.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
All these shiny objects.

I'm happy to stick with the familiar.
Watson may not have Hadley's skill set, but he knows the system and will work hard in the off-season to add more offense to his game.
We must be value shoppers. We do not have the $ to pursue the top guys.

• Agree
Reactions: JRE1975

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Here's a blast from the past.
Bring Darlinstone home!!!
Seriously would be a great get for TJ's defense but doesn't really fill a need unless they would move Milan to starting PF. Glad DD has improved and is will get NIL at his next stop (hopefully not KU).

Losing out on Hadley is a blow as he would have fit perfectly as small ball PF that could be Milan's back up at SF depending on matchups. There was going to be minute concerns with Heise can play SG/SF and i think ISU is set at 1-3. Getting a PF like Kyle III and/or Jefferson would set a traditional line up that is better in the front court than last years top 10 squad (with Jackson).

Stings to lose Hadley especially since I like many had already been envisioning lineups but from a team construction maybe better without him, assuming Kyle or Jefferson commits next week.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

Not in 247s Top 25.

My thoughts exactly. He would have been a nice player to have but it's not like we just struck out on a 5 star recruit. He is a good player no doubt but if anyone has looked at the portal. There are really so many good players. We will get one of them. Probably two of them. I think we just built him up in our mind like we were getting some sort of great player. Then people started saying he was a top ten portal guy. Which just is not the case at all.

• Disagree
Reactions: aauummm and CyPunch

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
My thoughts exactly. He would have been a nice player to have but it's not like we just struck out on a 5 star recruit. He is a good player no doubt but if anyone has looked at the portal. There are really so many good players. We will get one of them. Probably two of them. I think we just built him up in our mind like we were getting some sort of great player. Then people started saying he was a top ten portal guy. Which just is not the case at all.
If you look on Torvik he actually had the 7th best player rating in the Pac-12, better than Caleb Love who was the POY.

I'd say that's a pretty big time player and probably even more valuable than a 5-star freshman.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Not in 247s Top 25.

Those same rankings also had Tyrese Hunter as the number 1 guy in the portal when he transfered. The ranking services seem to have an even harder time coming to a consensus on transfers than they do with high school recruits. The fact we are getting outbid for Hadley says all you need to know about his value.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Look at their usage as freshman. Of course, Lipsey only had that because a transfer got hurt, AJ Green went pro…and a freshman recruit like Hunter proved that high school recruiting is no more stable than transfer

You do realize the staff prioritized Hadley. That should tell you how idiotic your Nojus/freshman comments are.

The staff has no issue recruiting over players- certainly no issue recruiting over freshman.

Get a grip- it’s been about transfers for years
You called Tamin Lipsey and Milan Momcilovic role players that are easily replaced by transfers. Might want to be careful who you call an idiot there.

Name the 10 best Cyclones of the past ten or so years. How many of them were recruited to Iowa State as freshman? Melvin Ejim, Georges Niang, Monte Morris, Naz Long, Matt Thomas, Tyrese Haliburton, Tamin Lipsey and Milan Momcilovic quickly joining that list.

Nojus is every bit the recruit all of them were. All I am saying is maybe not the worst thing in the world if we miss out on a couple transfers and because of it Nojus is a contributor this year on his way to becoming one of those all-time favorite Cyclones several years down the road.