J'Vonne Hadley (Curtis Jones' cousin) to have zoom meetings with Iowa State & MSU this week

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He's 6'6" 205. Ok. Could he pay the 4 for about 2 -4 minutes a game, maybe. But he's smaller than Rhashan Clark... showing my age. Sure Kenny Pratt was a 6'2" pf, but cmon man.
He's been described as a natural 4 that can play the 3. Look at our roster. If he couldn't play the 4 we have no reason to recruit him.

Last edited:

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
No, I don't know that. If "compensation for labor" is really what we are talking about (i.e. players are university employees), how is that any different from requiring university admin staff to be enrolled as students? That seems to me to be what we are naturally progressing to based on the developments of the past few years and I would not be shocked to see this inside the next ten years.

There are a large number of schools with rich alums that are willing to spend a lot to ensure that they have a good team. If something like having to attend classes gets in the way of getting the best team, who knows for sure what comes next?
Student-athletes being paid employees wouldn't be that much different than students receiving work-study money, or grad students being recruited into certain grad programs and being compensated. It's just potentially a bigger check.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Institute a salary cap
People need to completely lose this notion that players becoming employees or instituting a salary cap will solve a single thing. The only thing it does is makes sure every player gets a little of something - and schools like Iowa State have less disposable funds.

In reality, NIL is completely considered as equal to endorsements. Salary caps and salaries have absolutely no relation to how much endorsement money an NBA, NFL, MLB player can make on the side. There will NEVER be limits on NIL or endorsements, every court in America would throw it out without a hearing.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
People need to completely lose this notion that players becoming employees or instituting a salary cap will solve a single thing. The only thing it does is makes sure every player gets a little of something - and schools like Iowa State have less disposable funds.

In reality, NIL is completely considered as equal to endorsements. Salary caps and salaries have absolutely no relation to how much endorsement money an NBA, NFL, MLB player can make on the side. There will NEVER be limits on NIL or endorsements, every court in America would throw it out without a hearing.
But don't you agree that the vast majority of money that players are making in college right now has nothing to do with NIL and is simply pay to play under the guise of NIL? A salary cap alone may not be able to fix it, but you can have rules under collective bargaining that stop entities like collectives from using NIL payments to circumvent salary caps. Pro sports do that.

Reactions: Moose72

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I was a very sporadic at hitting campus my senior year and still have a reoccurring nightmare of showing up to my TranLog final at the wrong time, preventing my graduation!

My first degree was transportation and logistics, class of 1991.

TransLog 1993 grad here.

MIS/TransLog 2001 here. TransLog was my minor, became the 2nd major by accident. I got called into the advising office the last semester, and avoided going in, thinking I'd just sneak by and avoid whatever issue they needed to see me about... Finally, the full time trucker at work (ISU Surplus!) talked me into going, we were at Carver on a pick up anyway. They pulled out my file and the lady says, "I was talking to Skip, he noticed you took the MIS course on networking/pbx. That course goes toward a major in TransLog, so if you sign here and get at least a C in all your classes, you'll go from a minor to a double major. Congratulations!" :D

From scared to death that I wouldn't be graduating to double major in about five minutes... I had the same issues getting to class, even though I worked on campus. Far more important things to do - between being in a band and work, who has time for school??? :jimlad:

To date, I haven't officially used my TransLog, I've been in software development for 20+ years. Guess that's not really MIS either, but close? I never would have gotten through ComSci or some flavor of engineering (Software Engineering wasn't a major then), didn't have the work ethic (yet) to actually study, do homework, etc. And now I'm the first one to the office and last to leave most days...

Reactions: qwerty and isucy86

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
But don't you agree that the vast majority of money that players are making in college right now has nothing to do with NIL and is simply pay to play under the guise of NIL? A salary cap alone may not be able to fix it, but you can have rules under collective bargaining that stop entities like collectives from using NIL payments to circumvent salary caps. Pro sports do that.
It is absolutely pay to play disguised as endorsement money in 99% of the cases. However, there is not a single way laws or rules around employment compensation can touch that whatsoever. This is a genie that literally has no bottle to go back into. That's good or bad depending on your perspective (I don't like it, but I understand the rationale for NIL), but it can't be reigned in just like no contract or collective bargaining agreement can prevent or cap what LeBron can get from Nike. Even if he did no marketing for them.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It is absolutely pay to play disguised as endorsement money in 99% of the cases. However, there is not a single way laws or rules around employment compensation can touch that whatsoever. This is a genie that literally has no bottle to go back into. That's good or bad depending on your perspective (I don't like it, but I understand the rationale for NIL), but it can't be reigned in just like no contract or collective bargaining agreement can prevent or cap what LeBron can get from Nike. Even if he did no marketing for them.
But thats not true. There are rules on endoresements for athletes written up in collective bargaining agreements. There are rules on what they can endorse, and there are rules that say they have to get payed fair market value for endoresements which is decided by an arbitrator if needed, at least for the NFL. I looked it up when I had this same discussion with someone several months ago. I can go find it again if you don't believe me, but trust me they exist. And it makes perfect sense. Why would you bother with a salary cap if it was so easy to circumvent with fake endoresement deals.

Edit: Here it is. Essentially it says that anything payed to the athlete that is determined to be over fair market value by an arbitrator is to be counted as salary against the teams cap.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
MIS/TransLog 2001 here. TransLog was my minor, became the 2nd major by accident. I got called into the advising office the last semester, and avoided going in, thinking I'd just sneak by and avoid whatever issue they needed to see me about... Finally, the full time trucker at work (ISU Surplus!) talked me into going, we were at Carver on a pick up anyway. They pulled out my file and the lady says, "I was talking to Skip, he noticed you took the MIS course on networking/pbx. That course goes toward a major in TransLog, so if you sign here and get at least a C in all your classes, you'll go from a minor to a double major. Congratulations!" :D

From scared to death that I wouldn't be graduating to double major in about five minutes... I had the same issues getting to class, even though I worked on campus. Far more important things to do - between being in a band and work, who has time for school??? :jimlad:

To date, I haven't officially used my TransLog, I've been in software development for 20+ years. Guess that's not really MIS either, but close? I never would have gotten through ComSci or some flavor of engineering (Software Engineering wasn't a major then), didn't have the work ethic (yet) to actually study, do homework, etc. And now I'm the first one to the office and last to leave most days...

I love that your solution to thinking you might not be able to graduate was to just not go in to Advising. Problem solved!

Yeah, I probably would have done the same.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
But thats not true. There are rules on endoresements for athletes written up in collective bargaining agreements. There are rules on what they can endorse, and there are rules that say they have to get payed fair market value for endoresements which is decided by an arbitrator if needed, at least for the NFL. I looked it up when I had this same discussion with someone several months ago. I can go find it again if you don't believe me, but trust me they exist. And it makes perfect sense. Why would you bother with a salary cap if it was so easy to circumvent with fake endoresement deals.
For one, endorsement opportunities are absolutely part of the pitch that pro teams make to free agents. A place like Los Angeles has a lot more opportunity for endorsement deals than Milwaukee, for example.

And for two, there's no collective bargaining agreement here, and we're several steps away from the existence of one, if it's coming at all. Without that CBA, there aren't going to be many enforceable rules on NIL deals.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
He's 6'6" 205. Ok. Could he pay the 4 for about 2 -4 minutes a game, maybe. But he's smaller than Rhashan Clark... showing my age. Sure Kenny Pratt was a 6'2" pf, but cmon man.
who is he? who are we talking about? thanks.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
For one, endorsement opportunities are absolutely part of the pitch that pro teams make to free agents. A place like Los Angeles has a lot more opportunity for endorsement deals than Milwaukee, for example.

And for two, there's no collective bargaining agreement here, and we're several steps away from the existence of one, if it's coming at all. Without that CBA, there aren't going to be many enforceable rules on NIL deals.
Sure, teams can use their location to pitch athletes that it will increase their marketability, but that doesn't mean they can promise sweetheart deals. I remember that being a big thing when LeBron was being recruited by the Knicks.

Second, I was responding to Jeremy saying salary caps wouldn't fix the issue. If there is going to be a salary cap then collective bargaining is a given. Obviously there is a lot of work to do if college sports is ever going to get there, but if they do they are going to address the issue of NIL being used to circumvent a cap, otherwise the exercise is pointless.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Edit: Here it is. Essentially it says that anything payed to the athlete that is determined to be over fair market value by an arbitrator is to be counted as salary against the teams cap.

Sorry, I should have acknowledged that . My point is that...

1 - there is no such agreement or therefore limit on college athletes

2 - I would imagine the so-called P1 tier would do everything to prevent it

3 - if all 5-star players are making $1 million, then that becomes the defacto "market value"

4 - there are a lot of loopholes that can be used such as breaking up the NIL endorsement into smaller endorsements from several donors, collectives, etc.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Sorry, I should have acknowledged that . My point is that...

1 - there is no such agreement or therefore limit on college athletes

2 - I would imagine the so-called P1 tier would do everything to prevent it

3 - if all 5-star players are making $1 million, then that becomes the defacto "market value"

4 - there are a lot of loopholes that can be used such as breaking up the NIL endorsement into smaller endorsements from several donors, collectives, etc.
Yeah, I'm not going to get into a back and forth about how effectively the same rules could be applied in college. Point is that's what professional leagues do to have some semblance of competitive balance, and emulating the pro model seems to be where college sports is headed. The option is there for college. We can argue hypotheticals all day on how effective it would be.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Sure, teams can use their location to pitch athletes that it will increase their marketability, but that doesn't mean they can promise sweetheart deals. I remember that being a big thing when LeBron was being recruited by the Knicks.

Second, I was responding to Jeremy saying salary caps wouldn't fix the issue. If there is going to be a salary cap then collective bargaining is a given. Obviously there is a lot of work to do if college sports is ever going to get there, but if they do they are going to address the issue of NIL being used to circumvent a cap, otherwise the exercise is pointless.
They can’t address that issue. You legit can’t close that door. Same way Mahommes fits into the salary cap but makes double his salary on endorsements. NIL isn’t going anywhere this is just schools distributing some of the media dollars (potentially).

He is right on that in regards to a “salary cap” won’t fix any of the issues with NIL. It’s actually just going to make things way worse for the non P2 schools.

Reactions: Jer