Kade Blume

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJS

Mar 28, 2019
The young man in question could have potentially been a 4 time state champion. That is rarified air. So, some major program would have offered him something. A very immature kid. He had another incident with the law a few years back involving vandalism of several vehicles. After his first title, someone on the school board told me that it was a roll of the dice if he would not get in trouble again at some point, but they hoped he would grow up. His life has changed in ways I am sure he cannot even fathom.
It is just sad. My heart goes out to the victim, the innocent wrestlers in that program (3 other of whom were ranked in the state), and the community. This incident will tear that community, which is filled with good people, apart. Even though in was not on school grounds, there is a school board meeting this week where people will be at each other's throats, even though the school followed the advice of their lawyer after law enforcement notified them. I would guess there will even be a lawsuit of some kind at some point. I feel for the family of the former coach who built that program from scratch and deservedly was put into the Hall-of-Fame for helping several decades of kids better themselves as human beings. It is a black eye for the community and wrestling in general. In the end, nobody is going to win.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
The young man in question could have potentially been a 4 time state champion. That is rarified air. So, some major program would have offered him something. A very immature kid. He had another incident with the law a few years back involving vandalism of several vehicles. After his first title, someone on the school board told me that it was a roll of the dice if he would not get in trouble again at some point, but they hoped he would grow up. His life has changed in ways I am sure he cannot even fathom.
It is just sad. My heart goes out to the victim, the innocent wrestlers in that program (3 other of whom were ranked in the state), and the community. This incident will tear that community, which is filled with good people, apart. Even though in was not on school grounds, there is a school board meeting this week where people will be at each other's throats, even though the school followed the advice of their lawyer after law enforcement notified them. I would guess there will even be a lawsuit of some kind at some point. I feel for the family of the former coach who built that program from scratch and deservedly was put into the Hall-of-Fame for helping several decades of kids better themselves as human beings. It is a black eye for the community and wrestling in general. In the end, nobody is going to win.
What are the sides here? What is there to argue about?

Reactions: DBQR4CY

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Right why would it tear apart a team and community? Kid was an ******* and did something stupid and doesn’t get to wrestle now, that seems pretty straight forward.

TJS

Mar 28, 2019
I am not fully sure what all these mothers are on the warpath about. I just know that they are demanding that their children be protected & they are upset that they were not notified sooner, which state law would have not allowed. There was always a bit of hazing, but it was always been minor league stuff. Immature kid stuff. Usually a senior would clue the freshmen into just to take it in the spirit it was given as it was an invitation to be a part of the group. Freshmen knew that if they had a problem with someone or were being picked on, especially outside the team, the seniors would hold court & it would quietly be taken care of. No one was ever allowed to hurt or humiliate a teammate. But that was years ago.
I attached the flyer making its way around the community.

Attachments

• CF3494AB-8490-420B-9CD1-9B46683BAA61.jpeg
    CF3494AB-8490-420B-9CD1-9B46683BAA61.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Informative
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I am not fully sure what all these mothers are on the warpath about. I just know that they are demanding that their children be protected & they are upset that they were not notified sooner, which state law would have not allowed. There was always a bit of hazing, but it was always been minor league stuff. Immature kid stuff. Usually a senior would clue the freshmen into just to take it in the spirit it was given as it was an invitation to be a part of the group. Freshmen knew that if they had a problem with someone or were being picked on, especially outside the team, the seniors would hold court & it would quietly be taken care of. No one was ever allowed to hurt or humiliate a teammate. But that was years ago.
I attached the flyer making its way around the community.
As far as I know it was an ongoing investigation so nobody has reason to expect to be filled in until the investigation was done. Parents are rightfully upset and concerned to an extent but this won't be something that tears the entire community apart. Only way it gets that bad is if it turns out there was a mass issue throughout the entire wrestling program that was allowed to continue and I don't believe that's the case. There are a lot of good people representing Norse wrestling namely the guy at the top. It's a blow and bit of a black eye for the team, school, and community but ultimately comes down to a kid who clearly has maturity and character issues doing something terrible. His actions were his alone and the rest of the team shouldn't suffer because of it.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
As far as I know it was an ongoing investigation so nobody has reason to expect to be filled in until the investigation was done. Parents are rightfully upset and concerned to an extent but this won't be something that tears the entire community apart. Only way it gets that bad is if it turns out there was a mass issue throughout the entire wrestling program that was allowed to continue and I don't believe that's the case. There are a lot of good people representing Norse wrestling namely the guy at the top. It's a blow and bit of a black eye for the team, school, and community but ultimately comes down to a kid who clearly has maturity and character issues doing something terrible. His actions were his alone and the rest of the team shouldn't suffer because of it.
Yeah, I had done some searches and found FB posts and such. I'm sure lots know little bits of info (maybe their kid got interviewed by law enforcement, some witnessed, etc) and anyone remotely involved who miss some of the season are not victims.

Hope the person victimized isn't looked down upon by those in the community, you know the "boys being boys....part of being on a team" type of stuff.

Sad stuff. Hope that if he did do this and is found guilty he can get help and find a different path after serving whatever time he would have.

Reactions: HitItHard58

TJS

Mar 28, 2019
I was around when they had a teacher who molested some boys and saw what that did. Having read a couple of message boards, I hope you are right and there is a degree of rational thought. The current coaches there are good people. I have just seen a lot of bomb throwing already, but maybe that is only a vocal individual or two.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My HS FB coach would have a team meeting at the end of school before summer and at the beginning of August practice. Every time he said freshmen will pick up pads and stuff after practice. Anybody think they are going to do anything that approaches hazing will be off the team and he would file charges if it was remotely close to criminal activity. He has very anti-hazing. And it worked.

Reactions: bozclone

Cy1980

Jul 23, 2022
Are you his Aau coach?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It says other kids were involved, so it was not just his actions, and if hazing (any kind) was going on like one poster mentioned, then the coach did fail and isn’t such an upstanding person as being pushed.

Reactions: ISU4ME

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My HS FB coach would have a team meeting at the end of school before summer and at the beginning of August practice. Every time he said freshmen will pick up pads and stuff after practice. Anybody think they are going to do anything that approaches hazing will be off the team and he would file charges if it was remotely close to criminal activity. He has very anti-hazing. And it worked.
The freshman picking up equipment after practice is just duties in my book, doesn’t demean anyone and everyone had to do it as a freshman. Pretty common everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron