Kamari Cotton-Moya transferring?

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
True. But people these days, young people in particular, care about two things: 1. weather and 2. stuff to do.

Half the teams playing in bowls live in a crappy place and the weather sucks. Tired of that excuse.

and things to do? I love walking the streets of Iowa City when its -30 and followed up by an Applebee's visit and the coralville mall best buy. That screams big time from guys from Dallas, Chicago etc.
but yet Kirk produces NFL lineman each year.
Maybe the problem is us??

How about we beat teams like UNI? and finish games? we won 3 games and blew 3 others at min last season. If we could have gotten to 6 wins this year we would be playing Navy this Friday on ESPN in Dallas/FW worst cast scenario.
Then everyone is like "this is alright"

and we have like 7 B12 bowl alliances (for 10 teams) plus the CFP's. We have No teams in the CFP and we gave up 1 of our bowls to La Tech. Nice.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
not only this, but we're in a generation where if you get beat out, instead of busting your tail and doing what you can to win your spot back, the kids just say screw it, and transfer. Which I hope isn't the case with Warren. We've all seen how effective and great of a RB he can be, but he's gotta clean up those fumbles as well as continue to improve as a RB

You mean, a generation that's learned that they have better options than working for nothing? That sounds like a generation that's figuring things out and making them better.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Then why aren't they staying? Iowa loses a vast amount of 20 something's every year. Job opportunities are limited, and the weather is a factor.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/education/2015/05/10/iowa-student-brain-drain/26999519/

You can read all you want about it. It is a well documented issue.

Rural Iowa continues to lose year after year. The "Brain Drain" (written about in the book on this subject and the article you link) is spot on.

I think Des Moines metro area and some other cities are growing, while more rural areas just continue to lose population, with the educated demographic in particular leaving.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Half the teams playing in bowls live in a crappy place and the weather sucks. Tired of that excuse.

and things to do? I love walking the streets of Iowa City when its -30 and followed up by an Applebee's visit and the coralville mall best buy. That screams big time from guys from Dallas, Chicago etc.
but yet Kirk produces NFL lineman each year.
Maybe the problem is us??

How about we beat teams like UNI? and finish games? we won 3 games and blew 3 others at min last season. If we could have gotten to 6 wins this year we would be playing Navy this Friday on ESPN in Dallas/FW worst cast scenario.
Then everyone is like "this is alright"

and we have like 7 B12 bowl alliances (for 10 teams) plus the CFP's. We have No teams in the CFP and we gave up 1 of our bowls to La Tech. Nice.
The conversation is about moving a family here. Not recruiting.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I don't look at the brain drain as that big of a deal, as it has been an issue since I was a student and even for years prior to that. I see it as more of a maturity issue. What is important to 20 somethings right out of school? We were all there at one point..... Weather and stuff to do, especially if you are not married or have any kids. I have yet to see a study on the "boomerang" effect that Iowa has on residents. My gut feel is that as people mature, get married, and have kids, focuses shift to other things not related to weather and stuff to do. This causes quite a few to move back to the state for the benefits that have already been noted. As long as quite a few of those that left, return, we will be just fine. However, we need to better understand that phenomenon so as a state we can plan accordingly.
People with kids come back because of the extended family support. KCM is not going to have that here which is what we were discussing. That is in California for him.

I come back to Iowa because I do miss the quaint small town feel, and my parents and sister are still there. But if I could move all that to a warmer climate, I may not make that many trips north.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Wow, this thread escalated to the wrong directions quickly...... I was trying to figure out if there was new news here, I guess not... Will go back to being calm....

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I'm sure Kamari is poring through the chamber of commerce material from Boone, Story City and Nevada trying to find the perfect place to raise his family. Right.

Assuming he stays, he'll never see Ames or the state of Iowa again after next December. While all the brain drain talk has been interesting, this is the football board. You know, where we come for football information like whether one of our best players might be transferring.

Reactions: MSPClone210

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
There's a ton of smoke but I think this time it might be true. Even Campbell said in an interview he didn't know because he hadn't had that conversation with KCM. That pretty much means to me that he will be moving home to raise his son. Can't fault the guy. I wish him well either way.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The grad transfer is a good rule. Guys who do it right in the classroom and earn their degree should be rewarded with being able to go somewhere to get more playing time or play for a winner.
Exactly, I love the rule. I also get sick of people judging kids for transferring to get playing time. Why do coordinators leave their school to be head coaches somewhere else? If they weren't quitters and losers they would just work harder to beat out the head coach. And don't get me started for people that go to another company to get a better job. If they weren't so soft they would just beat out their boss and take his job.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Exactly, I love the rule. I also get sick of people judging kids for transferring to get playing time. Why do coordinators leave their school to be head coaches somewhere else? If they weren't quitters and losers they would just work harder to beat out the head coach. And don't get me started for people that go to another company to get a better job. If they weren't so soft they would just beat out their boss and take his job.

We might be soul mates goldwater.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
There's a ton of smoke but I think this time it might be true. Even Campbell said in an interview he didn't know because he hadn't had that conversation with KCM. That pretty much means to me that he will be moving home to raise his son. Can't fault the guy. I wish him well either way.

We have so many all - americans coming in, it will make no difference. Not.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Reeling in two grad transfers of our own has me thinking about Cotton Moya and the rumors of him potentially transferring. I have a couple questions.

1 When will he decide? And why did Dawson and Rogers decide now and not wait?

2 What do grad transfers do for workouts from now until they show up on campus? I assume they aren't working out with Mich and USC. Is Cotton Moya working out with our team and going through the motions in spring ball? Seems like an odd relationship if you're on the fence.

Really hope KCM sticks around!

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Reeling in two grad transfers of our own has me thinking about Cotton Moya and the rumors of him potentially transferring. I have a couple questions.

1 When will he decide? And why did Dawson and Rogers decide now and not wait?

2 What do grad transfers do for workouts from now until they show up on campus? I assume they aren't working out with Mich and USC. Is Cotton Moya working out with our team and going through the motions in spring ball? Seems like an odd relationship if you're on the fence.

Really hope KCM sticks around!

I'm pretty sure he'll be here. Someone even said they know he got a summer internship in Ames.

Reactions: dualthreat

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron