Karma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The thumbs are temporary. This was a suggested idea on the moderator board and I put it together really quickly so a lot of tweaks can and will be made.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Man yet another way for someone to judge you and give you a status. I think if we did rep it should be on a one point system.

Pos +1
Neg -1

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Man yet another way for someone to judge you and give you a status. I think if we did rep it should be on a one point system.

Pos +1
Neg -1

I think the idea of this was actually to get away from status (if it ends up being something that sticks around). This could theoretically get away from the over-inflated rep system and put everyone on an even ground. Any user can give any other user whatever ranking they want, and it would give the same amount of "karma".

Just wanted to explain the theory behind it -I know right now it just looks like another meaningless status symbol.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I came out of the cave for this? I feel like the groundhog coming out and looking for my shadow.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I came out of the cave for this? I feel like the groundhog coming out and looking for my shadow.

Get back in your hole now!!!!

I kinda like the idea I hear behind this karma thing. Rep inflation occured faster then actual real life inflation. Sad... Very sad.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I'd say more of a weasel, or a really mangy cat with one eye ...

Weasel01.JPG

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Is that because of my post in the cave this morning? Awesome.

You had it stuck in your head this morning... I couldn't remember who it was. It was buried about 7 pages back when I got home at 5pm. You guys seriously didn't work at all today did you???
cultureclub1_ps.jpg

I never realized this is what the singer of Culture Club looks like.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville

Pos +1
Neg -1

As I understand how this may work out, the top number will be 5, bottom number -5. I think it will work out kind of like the "star system" that Scout has been using, except with negative numbers as well.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
As I understand how this may work out, the top number will be 5, bottom number -5. I think it will work out kind of like the "star system" that Scout has been using, except with negative numbers as well.

I think that's a pretty good comparison. I had it compared to XBox Live in my head, for some reason.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Negative we hate you. Positive we like you. Zero= we dont' care

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
If this feature replaces the rep system, can we have it set up in a similar fashion in regards to giving feedback to other users (I liked this post because of XXXXX...) or not?

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
wait wait wait a dang minute ... I've been happily Karming people for 5 minutes now and my credits haven't gone up a penny!

Everything else seems to add credits, will Karming people add it too in the future? should we hold off before going Karm-crazy?

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
All of these things are popularity contest polls. Next thing you know, we'll have computer rankings for everybody too. Then it will all be combined into a Board Character System. When is Cyclone Fanatic going to wake up and realize we need a playoff system?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If this feature replaces the rep system, can we have it set up in a similar fashion in regards to giving feedback to other users (I liked this post because of XXXXX...) or not?

I think that's another thing that's under discussion. There are obvious +'s to giving feedback on a post - it lets someone know you appreciate what they say. There are lots of people who abuse it, though, to either harass other members of the board, or to try and stir up trouble. I think that everyone would love to know the board's thoughts!

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I think that's another thing that's under discussion. There are obvious +'s to giving feedback on a post - it lets someone know you appreciate what they say. There are lots of people who abuse it, though, to either harass other members of the board, or to try and stir up trouble. I think that everyone would love to know the board's thoughts!

this seems to be a little different, rather than on a "per post" basis like rep you can kinda rank karma as an overall and change it anytime as you see fit (say they really start sucking up to you, telling you how they've grown as a person in the past few minutes and how Angies eyes remind me of shimmering pools of diamonds and her voice is like an angels song)

Status
Not open for further replies.