Karma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looks like you can really build someone up or take someone down fairly quickly. Might be best not to post anything controversial....

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
One idea I have is to replace rep with karma but also introduce a feature that would make it so people could say "thanks" for each individual post and then the total of thanks given and received would be shown for each user. It's kind of a two part system instead of one inflated system like rep is.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Looks like you can really build someone up or take someone down fairly quickly. Might be best not to post anything controversial....

The good thing is that people can opt-out of it by going to their user preferences but also once people use the system for a while, you won't see huge fluctuations like we had on rep since it was a weighted system and this isn't.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
this seems to be a little different, rather than on a "per post" basis like rep you can kinda rank karma as an overall and change it anytime as you see fit (say they really start sucking up to you, telling you how they've grown as a person in the past few minutes and how Angies eyes remind me of shimmering pools of diamonds and her voice is like an angels song)

LOL - yes, there IS the ability to change someone's karma on a day-to-day basis. I think that's one of the good things about this - it's fluid, and the more karma is given by the entire board, the less of a catastrophic (or ridiculously positive) difference one person can make.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
this seems to be a little different, rather than on a "per post" basis like rep you can kinda rank karma as an overall and change it anytime as you see fit (say they really start sucking up to you, telling you how they've grown as a person in the past few minutes and how Angies eyes remind me of shimmering pools of diamonds and her voice is like an angels song)

Your negative Karma is giving me bad vibes. You and Wesley must have hacked somebody off..

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
didnt Earl always say it was bad to mess with Karma??

my-name-is-earl.jpg

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Honestly, I am laughing at all of you right now. Is this how you decide if you feel good about yourselves or not??? If your rep level or karma is high enough you feel good and *gasp* if it is low you hate yourself?? Really, people...you are in the middle of a 4 page discussion of a rating system not even fully functional yet. This is my vote for best read of the day! Maybe I should give positive rep to the person who started it.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
could we change the statistics chart to read "most dispised" rather than "most hated" ... or maybe "most likely to drown a bag of puppies"

Oh and Wes, you're going down buddy - I'm king of this castle!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Help me!! This talk of Karma has caused that '80s pop tune to be dragged up from the depths of my brain where it was buried, and now I can't get it out of my head!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Just working:laugh:

For some member input here...

Question

What would be the downfall of not using karma or the numerical rep but just using the indicators for rep like I have on the member list page? This could top out at x number of indicators which would essentially give you the same end result as karma but you could also do the pm for each post, etc. Any feedback?

I want to simplify the way members rate each other's input and not make it such an obvious popularity contest.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Honestly, I am laughing at all of you right now. Is this how you decide if you feel good about yourselves or not??? If your rep level or karma is high enough you feel good and *gasp* if it is low you hate yourself?? Really, people...you are in the middle of a 4 page discussion of a rating system not even fully functional yet. This is my vote for best read of the day! Maybe I should give positive rep to the person who started it.

Have you ever had any positive comments on anything? I think I"m going to start calling you "Sir Whines A Lot"

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Just working:laugh:

For some member input here...

Question

What would be the downfall of not using karma or the numerical rep but just using the indicators for rep like I have on the member list page? This could top out at x number of indicators which would essentially give you the same end result as karma but you could also do the pm for each post, etc. Any feedback?

I want to simplify the way members rate each other's input and not make it such an obvious popularity contest.

Jer - do you mean the little green boxes?

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
in all honesty i like the fact u can see who gave u what..and for what post and if they want a comment they can but the comment is not a need

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
One more comment - is karma to apply more what a person has posted as a body of work or karma for that particular post?

I am ahead of clones jer!

Last edited:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Depending on views, I think the Karma dealy would be fun, as long as it topped out at +5, and we can't tell how many people (different or same) voted for said number received.

That being said, I'm nearly dependant on other people telling me what is good/bad about my writing so I can improve, so the leaving messages about what was liked or disliked is beneficial for me.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I like it. I gives credence to what people say and do, without the popularity contest or weighted rep. Also, it's kind of cool how it changes easily, because some people go on bad rants for just a day because of their mood (okay I'm talking about myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.