Keys to victory against Frogs

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I'm getting really annoyed with all of the chatter around Campbell, attendance for saturday's game(will be a non issue), hawkeye posters(idiots), and now Big12 media day talk(basketball). Anyone want to talk about the game on saturday? I haven't seen much talk about the actual game in JTS saturday. I'm so excited about this saturday and this Cyclone team!

Making the 10 hr drive from Denver. Should get to Ames around 3 am and will be tailgating by 8 am. It should be an unbelievable atmosphere, I know I have at least 10 close friends from college coming back, we all agreed in our group chat that we couldn't miss this one after the win saturday. Started making plans immediately after the win to make it back to Ames.

Atmosphere aside, I have a lot of concerns about TCU.

1. They are a very well coached and disciplined team that will not beat themselves. We will have to continue to play disciplined, mistake free football to beat them. We are capable, but our margin for error is still small.

2. We must be able to stop the TCU running game. We were able to limit TTU and OU's running game with 3 down linemen, will we able to do the same against TCU? I'm not so sure we will. If we are not and adjust by bringing a safety into the box, they have a QB and WR's who are more than capable of burning us deep. Bend, but don't break, baby!

3. TCU's defense is really good at taking away what their opponent does best. For us, that is the short passing game and using our big, physical receivers as blockers to get our playmakers in space. If they take that away, it will leave them vulnerable for the vertical passing game. Will Kempt have the arm strength to make some of those deep throws? I expect them to try and make him very uncomfortable by switching alignments and mixing in blitzes. He just needs to keep doing what he has been doing and take what they give him.

4. As I mentioned earlier, this is a very well coached TCU team. As is usually the case, that means they are very good in special teams. Luckily, we are too. We will need to continue to perform well on special teams, it could mean the difference in what I expect to be a very competitive ball game.

Curious to see how others think this plays out. I think it will finish as a one score game, flip a coin on who wins. If you haven't got your tickets yet, please do so if you are able. We need all hands on deck for saturday! Go Cyclones!

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's kind of an obvious one, but IMO the big challenge for Kempt and the offense will be staying out of third and long situations where TCU can force errors. I haven't watched a ton of TCU football this year, but based on what little I have seen that's where opposing offenses are getting into trouble. TCU is too well coached and too disciplined to give up big gains on third down. Keep moving the chains, chew up clock, and convert those 3rd and short situations. I think this is shaping up to be a low scoring game that'll pivot on one or two plays. ISU can't let a turnover be one of those plays.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
1.) Oline
2.) Oline
3.) Oline

Only slightly kidding.
1.) Run blocking will need to be our best yet
2.) Continue to get the breaks. Win TO battle, penalty count, ST plays etc. At least stay even in this regard against a very well coached team with more talent.

Clearly we need to avoid a UT type failure on offense, and the defense can’t have an off day like against Iowa. I’m optimistic all units will give us a fighting chance except the Oline.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
1.) Oline
2.) Oline
3.) Oline

Only slightly kidding.
2.) Continue to get the breaks. Win TO battle, penalty count, ST plays etc. At least stay even in this regard against a very well coached team with more talent.

Clearly we need to avoid a UT type failure on offense, and the defense can’t have an off day like against Iowa. I’m optimistic all units will give us a fighting chance except the Oline.

On this part, I'm feeling pretty good. The defense is light years better than it was when they played Iowa. If you go back and rewatch that game, Lanning is a completely different player. He's improved by leaps and bounds since then.

But every position group on the team is going to have to bring their A game.

Reactions: TheSammo

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
1.) Oline
2.) Oline
3.) Oline

Only slightly kidding.

Why the hit on the O-line? They certainly have afforded Kempt good protection and the run blocking has been improving. This will be a true team effort where all aspects of the team need to play at their best. Both teams are well coached, disciplined, and confident. Point 2 is the big one...weather will be cold (compared to what it has been), breezy, and likely to cause a TO or 2. The O-line knows they need to excel...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Why the hit on the O-line? They certainly have afforded Kempt good protection and the run blocking has been improving. This will be a true team effort where all aspects of the team need to play at their best. Both teams are well coached, disciplined, and confident. Point 2 is the big one...weather will be cold (compared to what it has been), breezy, and likely to cause a TO or 2. The O-line knows they need to excel...

Huge day for the upperclassmen who toughed it out through the Rhoads era and the transition to the new staff, too. How excited do you think Campos, Lazard, KCM and the other seniors are to finally be playing a truly meaningful game on the national level?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think you nailed it HGoat. TCU is well coached and disciplined. Our offense is going to have to earn everything because I don't see TCU having a lot of penalties or turnovers to aid us.

Their defense is built to counter the spread, but it is still really efficient against the run. We'll have to be patient and not go away from the run game. I think we should spread our receivers out and try to create some lanes for Montgomery to get to the edge or cut-back inside. He's hella tough to tackle and I like our odds of him getting 3-4 yards with consistency.

If TCU decides to cheat inside to stop Montgomery, then we can exploit our size advantage with our receivers. I'd love for this to be the game where CMC decides to use our tight ends more (depending on how our line is blocking, of course). It would be something Patterson isn't planning on and could be the ideal time to open up another option.

As far as defensively, Darius Anderson and Kyle Hicks are gonna get their yards, but I think we can keep them in check. Kenny Hill will be a handful, though. He's completing passes at a 70% clip and is very capable of getting a chunk of yards with his feet if things break down. I've been impressed by our tackling in space lately. That will need to continue.

Sadly, we're not going to be overlooked by Patterson or his players. Now we just need to keep building and living up to our reputation as a team worth fearing.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Stop the run. Dont let Hill get lose and run for 3rd down conversions.

On offense, run the football. O-line needs best game of season.

And of course, must win the turnover battle.

I dont like the matchup for ISU, but it is winnable. Play hard, play smart, catch a break.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Because it’s perhaps the most fundamental block to success, and I’m sure you’ve noticed it’s our weakest group. In some games, it’s been our only weak group. Also because TCU is very good and even at our best we’ve been mediocre at run blocking. DM typically covers a lot of their errors, but TCU is too sound.

Yes, we’ll need our best performance and it will take a team effort to win. Previous games suggest the OLine as the most likely to be weak link imo.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Patterson is going to try to take away our short passing and running game by pressing the box. Forcing Kempt to hit the longer throws.

Hill is a more athletic runner than Maysfield but not as good in the pocket. Hopefully the 3 man rush can contain him and force some bad decisions.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I see #2 as the key to the game on defense. If we can hold their running game in check with our base defense, we have a great chance to win.
I agree with this. We have been outstanding on defense when we can limit the opposing offense to a single dimensional game. Stuff the rush and keep the receivers in front of you. It has worked like a charm thus far.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
First of all thank you for starting this thread.

I don't disagree with anything I've read here so far. Not convinced that Hill is a great QB, he is playing within himself though. If we contain there run game and don't give up points on turnovers or special teams I don't think Hill is good enough to beat us by himself.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
To me, a lot of this season mirrors last season, except for ISU making less mistakes and being a little stouter against the run.

OU - ISU hung with last year and faded late due to Flowers grinding out yards.
UT - No contest last year or this year due to their front 7 killing our offense.
TT - We had no problem with their passing game and their run was stuffed.

I feel like TCU will be similar. ISU hung with them last year. And it was kind of a turning point in the season. Patterson will try to crowd the LOS to stop the run and the short pass. ISU is going to have to make them pay for it. Keep pounding Montgomery. Use the double move to get WRs open. On D, it is simple...make Hill beat you passing. Lanning or Harvey is going to have to spy. Key on the RBs and when they pass, make hill have to complete tough throws. TCU is a good team, but they are FAR from unbeatable.

Last year TCU focused on Lazard and took him out of the game. If they try that this year, they are in trouble.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
First of all thank you for starting this thread.

I don't disagree with anything I've read here so far. Not convinced that Hill is a great QB, he is playing within himself though. If we contain there run game and don't give up points on turnovers or special teams I don't think Hill is good enough to beat us by himself.

I watched Hill against KU. Everyone looks great against KU. I hope you are correct. Quarterback runs could put some added pressure against the D.