Keys to victory against Frogs

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I think Campbell will have a surprise or two, not a hokie trick play with reverses and multiple hand-offs but something that will make TCU think they haven't prepared appropriately. What if Park dresses for the game? What if Kempt and Lanning are on the field at the same time?
If TCU starts blitzing or crashing too effectively, I'm sure that we will see more short yardage tight end activity to start loosening things up.

My most desired key to the game; keep the penalties down the way they have been, especially on defense. Don't give the TCU offense second chances like the Texas game and holding calls on either the offense or defense could make a big difference.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

whitehispanicfrog

Oct 23, 2017
Fort Worth
Frog here (obviously).

I have to say, from the little bit that I've perused your forum here already, y'all seem to be the most enlightened and realistic fan base I've encountered in a fan forum.

Agree 100%

giphy.gif

Reactions: GTO

WhatTheFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Im really surprised nobody's asked if you'll be their Huckleberry yet....

That goes without saying, doesn't it?

Addressing another poster's question...what if Park DOES dress for the game? I think Kempt is your QB, seriously. I would love for y'all to play Park against us. I think we would do more damage to him than Kempt. Kempt gives you your best chance at a win, in my opinion, and I'm serious. It's not like coaches come onto these forums to glean valuable information from the opposing fans. They know what they see on the practice field and in-game performance. Kempt is your guy the rest of the season as I see it. Park is done.

Kempt and Lanning on the field at the same time? Whatever floats your boat. I have faith in the league's best defense to handle whatever wrinkle those 2 might throw in. I'm not saying that the TCU defense is going to totally shut down everything that ISU might throw at us, but I am saying that the TCU defense TYPICALLY gets better as the season wears on (look at last year) and I have full faith in the abilities of that side of the ball. Again, I think that, if ISU gets the passing game going early on, TCU is in a ton of trouble.

You never know how the ball is going to bounce. That's why they play the games, right? Otherwise, we just declare Alabama as National Champs every year and save a ton of cash.

How sure is this fanbase of being able to retain Campbell's services? I'm sure he will be a hot commodity after the season he's had at ISU this season after just a couple of years. ISU better be ready to cough up more than the $1.5mil that he's currently making. A Tennessee or some other "big name" school will surely come in and try to swipe him up. He has been making a name for himself at Toledo and now ISU. I hate to say it, but ISU is currently a stepping stone program for something better. I can say that because TCU was the same thing until Patterson got the HC gig and was paired with one of the best ADs in the country. I'm not saying we are blue blood at all, but many coaches are now saying that TCU is a destination school. If it weren't for Patterson, we'd probably be a Baylor (minus all the rapes and such, I'd hope). Getting a good coach, and retaining him, is of utmost importance.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Addressing another poster's question...what if Park DOES dress for the game? I think Kempt is your QB, seriously. I would love for y'all to play Park against us. I think we would do more damage to him than Kempt. Kempt gives you your best chance at a win, in my opinion, and I'm serious. It's not like coaches come onto these forums to glean valuable information from the opposing fans. They know what they see on the practice field and in-game performance. Kempt is your guy the rest of the season as I see it. Park is done.

Kempt and Lanning on the field at the same time? Whatever floats your boat. I have faith in the league's best defense to handle whatever wrinkle those 2 might throw in. I'm not saying that the TCU defense is going to totally shut down everything that ISU might throw at us, but I am saying that the TCU defense TYPICALLY gets better as the season wears on (look at last year) and I have full faith in the abilities of that side of the ball. Again, I think that, if ISU gets the passing game going early on, TCU is in a ton of trouble.

You never know how the ball is going to bounce. That's why they play the games, right? Otherwise, we just declare Alabama as National Champs every year and save a ton of cash.

How sure is this fanbase of being able to retain Campbell's services? I'm sure he will be a hot commodity after the season he's had at ISU this season after just a couple of years. ISU better be ready to cough up more than the $1.5mil that he's currently making. A Tennessee or some other "big name" school will surely come in and try to swipe him up. He has been making a name for himself at Toledo and now ISU. I hate to say it, but ISU is currently a stepping stone program for something better. I can say that because TCU was the same thing until Patterson got the HC gig and was paired with one of the best ADs in the country. I'm not saying we are blue blood at all, but many coaches are now saying that TCU is a destination school. If it weren't for Patterson, we'd probably be a Baylor (minus all the rapes and such, I'd hope). Getting a good coach, and retaining him, is of utmost importance.

I appreciate the analysis, but we'd like to keep this thread about the game and leave all of the Herbstreit BS and Park/Kempt debates to the other threads. I,for one, am worn out from all of that mess and just ready for the game.

But hang around and feel free to chime in throughout the seasons (FB and BB). I know many of us like discussing other teams with fans that aren't here to troll.

• Agree
Reactions: StratCY

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

How is your secondary? Are they physical at the line of scrimmage? Texas gave us some issues with that. We have been successful with the short passing game because our big receivers are very good blockers. I would hope that if we have trouble running, which I expect we will, that we start using quick passes to the outside.

WhatTheFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the analysis, but we'd like to keep this thread about the game and leave all of the Herbstreit BS and Park/Kempt debates to the other threads. I,for one, am worn out from all of that mess and just ready for the game.

But hang around and feel free to chime in throughout the seasons (FB and BB). I know many of us like discussing other teams with fans that aren't here to troll.

I thought I WAS addressing the upcoming game. I wasn't aware that there was heartburn pertaining to the Park/Kempt issue. Like I stated previously, I've simply perused this forum.

I'll be out of here after this weekend, before that if it's the wishes of the members here. I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but it's refreshing to talk to folks that aren't ridiculously blinded by school affiliation. I've simply stated my views as an outsider looking in. I haven't attacked anyone or talked down to anyone, I don't think. I apologize if I have offended anyone in some way.

WhatTheFrog

Oct 25, 2017
How is your secondary? Are they physical at the line of scrimmage? Texas gave us some issues with that. We have been successful with the short passing game because our big receivers are very good blockers. I would hope that if we have trouble running, which I expect we will, that we start using quick passes to the outside.

Pretty aggressive man to man at the line with some LB/DE zone in the short game. That's why I stated earlier that Texada will end up with a few PI calls, at least. I think he's about 5'10". For us to cover your WRs deep, we will need S support over the top, definitely. I will say that our LB/DE corps has a ton of speed. Many of them are converted Safeties/HS QB, depending on their size.

You gotta remember, most HS teams put their best athlete in at QB (in TX, at least). It seems that half of our roster is former HS QBs. There are many benefits to employing that strategy. They typically have the highest football IQs, they are athletic, and they can anticipate what the offense is going to do if they have been converted to the defensive side of the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: whitehispanicfrog

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I thought I WAS addressing the upcoming game. I wasn't aware that there was heartburn pertaining to the Park/Kempt issue. Like I stated previously, I've simply perused this forum.

I'll be out of here after this weekend, before that if it's the wishes of the members here. I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but it's refreshing to talk to folks that aren't ridiculously blinded by school affiliation. I've simply stated my views as an outsider looking in. I haven't attacked anyone or talked down to anyone, I don't think. I apologize if I have offended anyone in some way.

You're fine. Park/Kempt has been discussed ad naseum around here (see this thread https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/park-left-the-team.232323/). Campbell's been a hot topic too (mostly that's Herbie hate).

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

No issue with you at all. I just wanted to keep this thread more on the game than other stuff.

TCU is an easy school for an outsider to root for, IMO. I like your combination of Patterson and Dixon. Both have impressed me over their careers.

What would you say the Frogs' biggest weakness is? Size in the secondary? Conservative offensive playcalling? I've only watched a couple games of yours so far this year and they seem to always make the right play.

CY2000

Aug 20, 2015
Jacob Park
I have a feeling we will see a lot of QB pressure...QB scrambling, running and rolling out will be a must

WhatTheFrog

Oct 25, 2017
You're fine. Park/Kempt has been discussed ad naseum around here (see this thread https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/park-left-the-team.232323/). Campbell's been a hot topic too (mostly that's Herbie hate).

To be honest, I don't want to look into your QB controversy issues. We have enough of that going on in our forum re: Kenny Hill and Shawn Robinson. Hill didn't have such an exceptional season last year. He is MUCH better this year, but there are people that still see him in the old form. I have slight criticisms of him this year, but he's much better than last year.

I'm not aware of the Herbstreit hate, but I understand where you're coming from. I'm serious in my own assessment that you need to hang onto your coach for as long as you can. He seems to be the real deal and is doing good things for your program. Time will tell, but that's part of the process.

WhatTheFrog

Oct 25, 2017
No issue with you at all. I just wanted to keep this thread more on the game than other stuff.

TCU is an easy school for an outsider to root for, IMO. I like your combination of Patterson and Dixon. Both have impressed me over their careers.

What would you say the Frogs' biggest weakness is? Size in the secondary? Conservative offensive playcalling? I've only watched a couple games of yours so far this year and they seem to always make the right play.

I think SIZE in the secondary is TCU's biggest weakness. They are fast and will keep up with anyone, but when you give up 6" in height and who knows how much in reach...we will have some PI calls.

I'm not concerned about conservative offensive playcalling. We run the ball MUCH more this year because we have so many running weapons this year. I wouldn't consider running plays as "conservative" in case that's what you are referring to. We do utilize that as a weapon for the TOP battle, but we also make good gains in the run game. If we have to go to the HUNH offense to keep the defense on their heels and tired, we have no problem doing that.

I'm not a fan of the screens or passes to the flats. They take too long to develop and the defense has time to recognize and adjust. They are basically running plays, good for 2-4 yards, if the defense doesn't tackle the receiver for a loss. We do have playmakers that can make defenders miss and turn a short gain into a big play, but fundamental defense will shut those plays down.

• Informative
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

WhatTheFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Jacob Park
I have a feeling we will see a lot of QB pressure...QB scrambling, running and rolling out will be a must

If Kempt is the starter, he's gonna keep doing what he's been doing. It has been a successful recipe to this point. Why change? He's a capable QB. Manage the game, take what the defense gives you, and don't turn the ball over. Isn't that what is expected of nearly every QB?

I'm not so sure that you're going to see a lot of blitzing from TCU. If he was a first game starter, then sure. Kinda like what TCU did against KSU. Kempt has been at the helm a few games, so I don't think that Patterson thinks he is easily rattled. Patterson will give him some crazy defensive looks to try to throw him off, but I don't think the blitz will be on as much as you might think. Patterson will prefer the pick over a sack.

I could be wrong.

Edit: I should add, our front four has been solid this year. We typically don't need to blitz to get into the backfield of the offense, so there's that.

I don't feel bad about saying all of the things that I've said here. There is no secret. I'm not letting any cats out of the bag. Watch our tape, you'll see that what I've been saying is true. Patterson is the pioneer of the 4-2-5 defense and knows it better than anyone on planet Earth. The guy is a defensive savant.

He's not going anywhere. He's the winningest coach in TCU history, he has a statue of himself outside of the stadium, and he IS TCU football.

He is synonymous with TCU, Fort Worth, and sports in this region.

Edit x2: I know you didn't ask about Patterson's tenure at TCU. It was on my mind because I talked about y'all hanging onto your coach for the foreseeable future. My bad. It IS an important topic to keep in mind, though.

Last edited:

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
WTF,
There is very little that we as fans can do to keep CMC other than attending the games and offer to buy him his favorite drink. We have an excellent AD in J. Pollard. He will do his best to keep our coach in house (such as having a signed contract that requires 9,000,000+ for CMC to walk). In the end it is up to Coach Campbell where he wants to be. So why worry? Be happy and raise havoc in the Big 12 while the sun shines on Ames.

WhatTheFrog

Oct 25, 2017
WTF,
There is very little that we as fans can do to keep CMC other than attending the games and offer to buy him his favorite drink. We have an excellent AD in J. Pollard. He will do his best to keep our coach in house (such as having a signed contract that requires 9,000,000+ for CMC to walk). In the end it is up to Coach Campbell where he wants to be. So why worry? Be happy and raise havoc in the Big 12 while the sun shines on Ames.

You have a very valid point. There really is nothing that you can do, as fans, to keep your coach in place, other than showing up each game and cheering your hearts out.

TCU catches a lot of grief about crowd sizes. You have to keep in mind, we only have 75k living alumni spread across the entire world. Our stadium holds 45k+. We are going to have a ton of visiting fans in our stadium, or seats are going to sit empty. TCU is the 2nd most selective University in the state (behind Rice, an Ivy league-quality school). We just don't have the capacity to allow all of the students in that want in (as opposed to when I applied and was accepted).

I know nothing about your AD, but I wish y'all the best in retaining your CFB coach. He's doing good things for you there and I'd like to see competitive games between our schools for years to come.

Long live the Big 12!

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I know nothing about your AD, but I wish y'all the best in retaining your CFB coach. He's doing good things for you there and I'd like to see competitive games between our schools for years to come.

Long live the Big 12!

Sorry WTF I would like to see non competitive games where we beat you by 3 or more touchdowns.:p

Long live the Big 12

• Funny

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Hey WTF,
Curious question. Speaking of Big 12, Were Frog fans on board with adding Houston to the Big12 when we had our circus?

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
A team has yet to blitz Kempt. TCU will man up the receivers and blitz the hell out of Kempt in order to try to make him uncomfortable.
If they want to man up our 6'4", 6'4" and 6'6" WR with their 5'10" DB's, I'm good with that.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Frog here (obviously).

I have to say, from the little bit that I've perused your forum here already, y'all seem to be the most enlightened and realistic fan base I've encountered in a fan forum.

As for the game, I think Patterson will be putting an emphasis on shutting down your receiving corps. Those guys are TALL. Our defenders aren't. I predict 2-3 PI calls against Texada alone, minimum. The TCU D line is good, so I don't think he's going to load the box on you. If you can pass on us, we need to worry.

When TCU is on offense, they will be run heavy against ISU. TOP is going to be a big deal in order to keep ISU off the field. They will do it by running the ball. ISU won't be able to stop it. TCU's O line is good. Load the box and Hill will pick the defense apart with short passes to playmakers.

Don't take that as overconfidence. ISU worries me more than OU does. I think you may be the toughest game remaining on our schedule, though I still worry about OU and TTU.

Saying ISU won't be able to stop the TCU run game is a bit of a bold statement considering that the Cyclones are #2 in the conference behind the Frogs in rush defense.

I think we're in a for a slobberknocker of a game.

• Agree

Help Support Us

Become a patron