Ku's Cliff ...

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Pulling for you guys against the Shockers if you win the first one. More money for the B12.
Same here. Pulling for all the Big 12 teams to make a deep run. Especially Texas and West Virginia so they can knock off Notre Dame and Kentucky for us!

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I feel bad for Cliff. So much pressure on these kids to provide for everyone in their family. that being said it should not be against rules for even an athlete to take out a loan let alone the kids parents.
Has anyone seen a copy of the UCC filing?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I feel bad for Cliff. So much pressure on these kids to provide for everyone in their family. that being said it should not be against rules for even an athlete to take out a loan let alone the kids parents.
Has anyone seen a copy of the UCC filing?

It probably shouldn't, but it makes a compliance nightmare to allow athletes to take out loans based on future earnings. What's to prevent boosters from offering a loan then when no one's looking jut forgiving the loan?

Perhaps the better solution would be for the NCAA to actually setup a program to provide these loans to keep it on the up and up.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Hoping for an all Big12 Final Four.

I have a bracket with an all-Big 12 Final Four, but no KU (Texas). Not likely to happen but would be fun.

I also made a bracket with us beating KU in the title game. Also just because of how awesome that would be. But never gonna happen.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Maybe Indiana's offensive efficiency of 9th in the nation will help them overcome their comparably poor defense. Who knows? For comparison, the only single digit seeds with a worse defensive efficiency than Iowa State are #3 seed Notre Dame, #8 seed NC State and #8 seed Oregon yet you still think ISU is going to have tourney success due to their rankings of 7th nationally in offensive efficiency, don't you?

You and your manipulation of statistics.

Grab me the statistics from ISUs last 5 games and the last 10 minutes of those games and then come back here with the claim that ISU can't play defense at National Championship level.

And even/when you don't buy into defensive ability of ISU, ride this - 47 points in the paint. 47, in one game. 40+ points in the paint 3 times this year. Against a Top 10 team. Don't underestimate ISU ability to make the other teams defensive efficiency history irrelevant as well.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I have a bracket with an all-Big 12 Final Four, but no KU (Texas). Not likely to happen but would be fun. I also made a bracket with us beating KU in the title game. Also just because of how awesome that would be. But never gonna happen.
There are always upsets every year that no rational person should have had any reason to pick so I enjoy having a bracket made up of results I WANT to happen WAY more than a bracket of results that I think WILL happen. There isn't any way to get a bracket right without dumb luck so it's not like winning your bracket pool signifies a vast amount of basketball knowledge. Just common sense and dumb luck. Best to just have some laughs with it.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
What's with so many people picking Wichita State over KU? I know KU won't have Cliff and are a bit banged up, but I just don't see this happening.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You and your manipulation of statistics.

Grab me the statistics from ISUs last 5 games and the last 10 minutes of those games and then come back here with the claim that ISU can't play defense at National Championship level.

And even/when you don't buy into defensive ability of ISU, ride this - 47 points in the paint. 47, in one game. 40+ points in the paint 3 times this year. Against a Top 10 team. Don't underestimate ISU ability to make the other teams defensive efficiency history irrelevant as well.

Well ******* said.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
You and your manipulation of statistics. Grab me the statistics from ISUs last 5 games and the last 10 minutes of those games and then come back here with the claim that ISU can't play defense at National Championship level. And even/when you don't buy into defensive ability of ISU, ride this - 47 points in the paint. 47, in one game. 40+ points in the paint 3 times this year. Against a Top 10 team. Don't underestimate ISU ability to make the other teams defensive efficiency history irrelevant as well.
No different than manipulating Indiana and WSU's stats. Don't take things too seriously. Just saying that stats like Indiana's defensive efficiency are pretty irrelevant. It's tourney time now. Just like a bad ISU defense can play really well when it matters, there's no reason to think Indiana cannot do the same. I hope that smarmy Tom Crean beats smarmy Gregg Marshall. Hard to find a match up of coaches that I like less in this field.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
There are always upsets every year that no rational person should have had any reason to pick so I enjoy having a bracket made up of results I WANT to happen WAY more than a bracket of results that I think WILL happen. There isn't any way to get a bracket right without dumb luck so it's not like winning your bracket pool signifies a vast amount of basketball knowledge. Just common sense and dumb luck. Best to just have some laughs with it.
I've been doing it wrong all these years. Thank you for sharing.

:rolleyes:

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
What's with so many people picking Wichita State over KU? I know KU won't have Cliff and are a bit banged up, but I just don't see this happening.
History says you have to pick x number of upsets. As a KU fan I am actually happy so many people are on board the WSU train. I don't have any concerns about KU players not taking the match up seriously and thinking they can autopilot through it when there are a number of people on national TV picking WSU to win.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
No different than manipulating Indiana and WSU's stats. Don't take things too seriously. Just saying that stats like Indiana's defensive efficiency are pretty irrelevant. It's tourney time now. Just like a bad ISU defense can play really well when it matters, there's no reason to think Indiana cannot do the same. I hope that smarmy Tom Crean beats smarmy Gregg Marshall. Hard to find a match up of coaches that I like less in this field.

I will root for KU, usually do. I think this group can be susceptible to the hype if it becomes a KU/WSU game though. Big difference in this group for Self is they can get rattled a bit.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Bit off topic anyone have a video of the before halftime interview of Self?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I work with some pretty big finance companies at times, and I've never met one that considered anything a "little loan" that was just a drop in the ocean. Everything had to stand on it's own or it doesn't fly. /QUOTE] I work at a large bank and there are tons of "little loans" and there is also an assumed risk of default with a certain percentage of loans. We have a built in amount in our budget for loans we expect will default.

Of course you do.

87968372.jpg

Last edited:

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
So, on the subject of Alexander again, it seems he is being withheld from competition due to potential inelligibility. If in fact he was inelligible back in August, it doesn't look like KU is in big trouble as they sat him when contacted by NCAA. Nonetheless, if he is declared inelligible, he is gone from KU, then the question is do they have to forfeit all the wins he participated in. If so, that breaks the KU string of 11 straight conference championships. Likely not to be finished that soon, but would that make them exit the NCAA tourney this year if the glacially slow NCAA actually decided to move that fast?

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
So, on the subject of Alexander again, it seems he is being withheld from competition due to potential inelligibility. If in fact he was inelligible back in August, it doesn't look like KU is in big trouble as they sat him when contacted by NCAA. Nonetheless, if he is declared inelligible, he is gone from KU, then the question is do they have to forfeit all the wins he participated in. If so, that breaks the KU string of 11 straight conference championships. Likely not to be finished that soon, but would that make them exit the NCAA tourney this year if the glacially slow NCAA actually decided to move that fast?

That's not how it works. KU is at no risk of having any of their season washed out. The ncaa has been pretty clear about that from Day One. This is a Cliff issue, not a KU issue. If his family accepted impermissable benefits then Cliff would face a penalty once discovered. If it's more than $1000 (and really, who gets a loan for less than $1000) then the penalty is listed as such: "Eligibility reinstated based on repayment of value of the impermissible benefits received and a minimum withholding condition should be sit-a-season, charge-a-season up to permanent ineligibility."

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Division I ACP Guidelines Chart (May 2014).pdf

There isn't a retroactive penalty against the school since they almost never discover situations like this while the players are playing and the player was cleared by the ncaa originally. The only way Cliff could have come back this year was if the amount was $500 or less. I assume the ncaa is aware of what the dollar amount is. Sorry, but this isn't going to be a Kansas problem other than being a player down the rest of the year.

Wichita State's baseball scandal is an example of a cases where a program HAS had to vacate wins due to players receiving impermissible benefits after 21 baseball players were found to have received 50% discounts not available to the general public on all Under Armor gear for a period of two years.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...a-probation-for-impermissible-benefits-012915

Kinda different.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Tuco is probably right here.

I just don't see what the risk for KU would be, unless there was a KU booster somehow tied to that loan, making Alexander's initial recruitment suspect. The family has lawyered up, there will be no resolution by the NCAA any time soon.

Help Support Us

Become a patron