Lanning

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I have no doubt that the people calling for him to be benched are the same ones that complained about the musical chairs we saw at quarterback the last few years.

I'm not calling for him to be benched, per se, but I stated before the season started that he hadn't done anything to give me much confidence and after this game against one of the three easiest teams we'll play, he certainly hasn't changed that.

And no, I was behind Richardson all of last year, all of the year before and Steele Jantz the prior two years. In fact, I was even a big Arnaud backer. This is probably the first time I've ever wavered in my support for who the staff has chosen as the starting quarterback. Hell, I even supported the staff's decision to put Austin Flynn out there in 2003.

• Agree
Reactions: ExCyment

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
Whn was the last time you recall that we had a qb who made five major mistakes in one game?

Five!?!? Please... Safety is not his fault when the dline was on him immediately. Fumbled snap isn't a major mistake either. Texas had two fumbled snaps last night and still won. The first interception was miscommunication between him and the WR. The last INT was the only "major mistake"...

And to answer your question, I saw Sam Richardson make "major mistakes" in just about every game he played in last year.

• Agree
Reactions: State2015

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Five!?!? Please... Safety is not his fault when the dline was on him immediately. Fumbled snap isn't a major mistake either. Texas had two fumbled snaps last night and still won. The first interception was miscommunication between him and the WR. The last INT was the only "major mistake"...

And to answer your question, I saw Sam Richardson make "major mistakes" in just about every game he played in last year.
A fumbled snap isn't a major mistake? That's news to me. That snap couldn't have been any better.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
A fumbled snap isn't a major mistake? That's news to me. That snap couldn't have been any better.

Is it a mistake? Yes. Is it worth his starting spot? Absolutely not. If a dropped ball is worth a starting spot we better bench Lazard next time he drops a pass. We need to bench Warren if he fumbles again. Hell! Warren fumbled in a critical time in that game and no one is saying a word! Weird...

• Agree
Reactions: The_Gent and tre

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Is it a mistake? Yes. Is it worth his starting spot? Absolutely not. If a dropped ball is worth a starting spot we better bench Lazard next time he drops a pass. We need to bench Warren if he fumbles again. Hell! Warren fumbled in a critical time in that game and no one is saying a word! Weird...
I don't know why you can't say those mistakes were really bad. Should he be benched actually? I don't know because I don't know how close Park is. That said if we have someone who is arguably the same or better I think we should make the switch.

It also wasn't just one mistake or even just mistakes. They showed lack of situational awareness and decision making. Now maybe that can be fixed but I don't really think it can be.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy and cyLKUIF

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Warren was a freshman All American last year. He's proven himself just fine to be able to escape some criticisms, though his tendency to fumble in key situations is a bit of a concern that the staff probably needs to address.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
I don't know why you can't say those mistakes were really bad. Should he be benched actually? I don't know because I don't know how close Park is. That said if we have someone who is arguably the same or better I think we should make the switch.

I'm confident in Campbell that if Park was in fact better he would be QB1. If that were the case and he made these mistakes you guys would want Joel in the game and I'd be asking that Park get more time to prove himself.

The mistakes were bad, but it's one game. His accuracy increased tremendously which was his downfall last season. Just give him a little time. You can't expect to go 12-0 after winning 8 games in 3 years. It takes time for things to work. Patience is something this fan base should be very good at by now.

• Agree
Reactions: State2015

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
Warren was a freshman All American last year. He's proven himself just fine to be able to escape some criticisms, though his tendency to fumble in key situations is a bit of a concern that the staff probably needs to address.

So how about we give Joel a little time to develop that confidence in the fan base. Warren fumbled quite a bit last year in critical situations but I don't remember people requesting he be benched. Give the team some time to develop under a new coaching staff before we lose faith.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'm confident in Campbell that if Park was in fact better he would be QB1. If that were the case and he made these mistakes you guys would want Joel in the game and I'd be asking that Park get more time to prove himself.

The mistakes were bad, but it's one game. His accuracy increased tremendously which was his downfall last season. Just give him a little time. You can't expect to go 12-0 after winning 8 games in 3 years. It takes time for things to work. Patience is something this fan base should be very good at by now.
See while it is only one game for Campbell it isn't for Lanning. While I wont freak out and I obviously don't know as much since I'm not in practice I don't see it improving. If they can get him to improve I will be thrilled but those mistakes are bad for much younger and less experienced guys.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
So how about we give Joel a little time to develop that confidence in the fan base. Warren fumbled quite a bit last year in critical situations but I don't remember people requesting he be benched. Give the team some time to develop under a new coaching staff before we lose faith.
He was the best freshman RB in the country though.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

He's a junior that started last year. And note that I haven't called for Lanning to benched at all here.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
See while it is only one game for Campbell it isn't for Lanning. While I wont freak out and I obviously don't know as much since I'm not in practice I don't see it improving. If they can get him to improve I will be thrilled but those mistakes are bad for much younger and less experienced guys.

His 6th career start... It's Campbell's 7th year as a head coach in Division 1 football

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
His 6th career start... It's Campbell's 7th year as a head coach in Division 1 football
A RS junior who is making mistakes that true freshmen shouldn't make.

Also Campbell's issues were with the team not being disciplined so I'm not sure what you wanted him to do.

This is the first time I've called out a player but it was bad.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Warren fumbled five times last year, Lanning fumbled nine times. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumbles. I don't know how you can say "Warren fumbled quite a bit last year in critical situations" when he only had five fumbles.

The Kansas State game was frustrating but in reality we never should've been running the ball in that situation regardless. I understand that it doesn't excuse Warren's fumble but it's something to consider. Warren had 227 carries last year and five fumbles. That's about one fumble per 50 carries.

And comparing Lanning's turnover problems to Warren's is ridiculous. Warren is a sophomore who was named preseason all-Big 12 and was the best freshman RB in the nation last season.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
A RS junior who is making mistakes that true freshmen shouldn't make.

Also Campbell's issues were with the team not being disciplined so I'm not sure what you wanted him to do.

This is the first time I've called out a player but it was bad.

Like I said.. 4 different offenses in 4 years. So if you look at it, he's basically like a freshman coming into a new scheme for the 4th year. So mistakes are expected. And I don't think Campbell could have done anything different. This is the hand he was dealt and he's trying to make the best of it. So can we relax for the next 3 weeks and if it doesn't look any better then you can grab your pitchforks.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
Warren fumbled five times last year, Lanning fumbled nine times. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumbles. I don't know how you can say "Warren fumbled quite a bit last year in critical situations" when he only had five fumbles.

The Kansas State game was frustrating but in reality we never should've been running the ball in that situation regardless. I understand that it doesn't excuse Warren's fumble but it's something to consider. Warren had 227 carries last year and five fumbles. That's about one fumble per 50 carries.

And comparing Lanning's turnover problems to Warren's is ridiculous. Warren is a sophomore who was named preseason all-Big 12 and was the best freshman RB in the nation last season.

Just so we're clear I'm trying to sound as ridiculous as everyone else on here. How many fumbles did Lanning lose compared to Warren? And of the 5 fumbles from Warren how many were late in the game in critical spots? I'm legitimately asking because I don't know the answer.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013

Dak Prescott fumbled 9 times and threw more picks than Joel and now he's starting for the Dallas Cowboys ;)

Reactions: tre

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Like I said.. 4 different offenses in 4 years. So if you look at it, he's basically like a freshman coming into a new scheme for the 4th year. So mistakes are expected. And I don't think Campbell could have done anything different. This is the hand he was dealt and he's trying to make the best of it. So can we relax for the next 3 weeks and if it doesn't look any better then you can grab your pitchforks.
I think people wouldn't be as worried if they were really mistake about not knowing the offense. The last pick was just all around awful decision making independent of a new offense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron