Info: Like OMG - Like Feature Feedback Needed

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've already taken to calling it an "up yours" rather than a "thumbs up". That negative enough for you? :wink:

One more thing, Jeremy, can you change it so the green thumbs up is a right hand and the grey thumbs up is a left hand?

I'm just messing with you, it looks great.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Okay. That wasn't clear in your earlier post(s). I'm not a big fan of negative reps except in cases of abusive posters, but it's probably safer to not have the negative posts at all. I don't think of myself as an attention *****, but I will admit it's nice to get positive feedback. I joked about competing with Rulzzz last night, but that's really all it was...kidding around.

Sorry if I didn't clarify enough to start. It's a good idea in theory, but I have only seen it work well on sites that people either pay to be a part of, or on sites that are developed for people with a particular sense of humor.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So right now, it seems like it is only a positive rep function. it seems that we can give a thumbs up, but not give a thumbs down. The only time you see the red thumbs down is after you have given a green thumbs up, but when you click on it, you don't actually give someone a thumbs down. Do you intend to introduce a negative rep function?

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
So right now, it seems like it is only a positive rep function. it seems that we can give a thumbs up, but not give a thumbs down. The only time you see the red thumbs down is after you have given a green thumbs up, but when you click on it, you don't actually give someone a thumbs down. Do you intend to introduce a negative rep function?
I'm going to go with what has been said by those running the show before and say no

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I'm already dating one hawk fan. I don't know if I could handle two.

UHF is a fantastic movie that so many people don't know about. I get odd looks when I quote it in public sometimes.

aZnTx.gif

I remember when people first started freaking out about how funny "Kramer" was from Seinfeld...I was all like...yeah, that's just Stanley Spadowski from UHF redone a bit. Also, on getting my first "Thumbs up" since likes went away...I'm not lying, I felt like the kid who found the marble in the oatmeal.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm talking about the negative posting stuff that he's advocating. Go hog wild with the liking of posts as long as it keeps the posts from devolving into "like" or "+1" posts that happened when it went away. I'm just saying that the instant someone has the ability to "neg" one of the people that find value in their "likes" or "positive rep," all hell breaks loose.

The example I'm talking about occurred when someone claimed they made terrible posts, and them and their friends descended like a swarm of locusts. The same people that use the feature a ton are the same people that will be the ones that end up abusing the negative function if it were to exist.

I get what you're saying. Like the Mafia games that got extra fluffy, but you weren't supposed to mention it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

No, there's really not going to be a negative rep function anytime soon, that I can tell. That grey image is only to indicate that it's a thumbs up you have given - the image is cached, Jeremy has changed it to a grey thumbs up. It may take a while to show for you.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I have no idea what you mean by that. Were people posting things there to just get their post count up or something?

I only played once when that was going on, but essentially that was the deal, especially in those first couple of days.
Got a good argument going, so that part was good. Overall, there was a pack mentality to it, probably mostly from the same folks that you're mentioning.

All that to say: The negative thing would probably just turn into a cultish groupthink deal. If a person didn't care when the groupbomb hit, it wouldn't be a huge issue. If they did, it would stir up a storm, and that toy would probably (and justifiably) go away.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I really see no need for a negative rep thing whether it be rep, dislike or thumbs down. If someone is posting something so bad that it deserves something like that, they are going to get flamed from all corners anyway. At that point a little red Cesearean thumb is just piling on.