Lipsey and Williams, next year

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Good post. Does anyone remember when the injury happened? I wanna say August. If that's right, it means by the end of next year he'll 1.5 years post surgery.
This article was on 10-7-22, and said it happened on, "The injury happened in practice on Thursday." So, my investigative conclusion is that his injury occurred on Thurs, 10-6-22.

Edit: He's just a little over 6 months post injury. I'm not sure when he had his surgical repair.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
We're going to have to get points from the paint next year. So having two pg's that can deliver the ball to the post would be a huge advantage. That would allow for the post guys to not have to be restricted to whatever side the of is running the offense from. If a guy gets position on the weak side, it's a simple pass around the perimeter and deliver the ball in at a good angle.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not sure why a lot of people are convinced Lipsey will struggle to hit the 3 next year. He has a full off season to work on his game. IMO it is more a confidence issue than shooting form. Maybe more important is Lipsey developing a shot off his drive like Morris did with his floater. Or the ability to jump stop and shoot a free throw line jumper.

The player I will be curious from a development standpoint is Watson. He was mainly a baseline 3 and rebound shooter this season. How do the coaches approach his off-season workouts? Do they keep it simple and focus Watson on being a spot up 3 & D guy. Or do they have him spend a lot of time on his handle as well.

Lastly, our ability to play Lipsey/Williams together is not only contingent on their ability to hit 3's, but the success of the other 3 guys. Can Biliew hit around 35% of his 3's? Does ISU get a post like Bradley's Mast that can shoot the 3?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If Williams can shoot the 3 consistently and all else being equal, Lipsey will be the backup. His inability to make threes hurts the team
I think Lipsey will be the starting PG. He's healthy and his shooting will improve this off season and next year, dramatically, I hope.

Williams will play backup PG and CG, and will likely only see 10-20' per game, which is good, due to coming off his severe injury. I hope he will have an even bigger role in'24-25, with 2 full years of recovery time.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If Williams can shoot the 3 consistently and all else being equal, Lipsey will be the backup. His inability to make threes hurts the team
Williams with constant shooting from 3 is no more likely than Lipsey doing the same. Check his stats.

Reactions: isutrevman

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Williams with constant shooting from 3 is no more likely than Lipsey doing the same. Check his stats.
Williams did shoot okay from deep his freshman year and had a nagging shoulder injury his sophomore year, so IMO he's a bit more likely.

You're right though that him being a sniper or something is about as likely as Lipsey, IE pretty much all depending on the work they put in this off-season. I'm not banking on either being great shooters next year, but I do have faith in improvement there, especially from Tamin.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Williams did shoot okay from deep his freshman year and had a nagging shoulder injury his sophomore year, so IMO he's a bit more likely.

You're right though that him being a sniper or something is about as likely as Lipsey, IE pretty much all depending on the work they put in this off-season. I'm not banking on either being great shooters next year, but I do have faith in improvement there, especially from Tamin.
Most this board will disagree with .231 being OK from deep.

Reactions: isutrevman

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
We're going to have to get points from the paint next year. So having two pg's that can deliver the ball to the post would be a huge advantage. That would allow for the post guys to not have to be restricted to whatever side the of is running the offense from. If a guy gets position on the weak side, it's a simple pass around the perimeter and deliver the ball in at a good angle.
Having guards that can shoot will help some, but having post players that can make a 6-10 foot shot would help a lot. Tre was the only inside player that was decent at the midrange shots. Shoon was okay at the beginning of the year, and then fell off for some reason. Jones has to have a layup, and even then it was dicy.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
What do they say with stocks- past performance is no guarantee of future results. Same can also be said of basketball players and shooting the 3. When Brockington came to Ames he was a career 27% shooter at Penn State and shot 36% at ISU.

Guys can improve and there is a history of guys improving after transferring to ISU.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
What do they say with stocks- past performance is no guarantee of future results. Same can also be said of basketball players and shooting the 3. When Brockington came to Ames he was a career 27% shooter at Penn State and shot 36% at ISU.

Guys can improve and there is a history of guys improving after transferring to ISU.
Holmes, too

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Not sure why a lot of people are convinced Lipsey will struggle to hit the 3 next year. He has a full off season to work on his game. IMO it is more a confidence issue than shooting form. Maybe more important is Lipsey developing a shot off his drive like Morris did with his floater. Or the ability to jump stop and shoot a free throw line jumper.

The player I will be curious from a development standpoint is Watson. He was mainly a baseline 3 and rebound shooter this season. How do the coaches approach his off-season workouts? Do they keep it simple and focus Watson on being a spot up 3 & D guy. Or do they have him spend a lot of time on his handle as well.

Lastly, our ability to play Lipsey/Williams together is not only contingent on their ability to hit 3's, but the success of the other 3 guys. Can Biliew hit around 35% of his 3's? Does ISU get a post like Bradley's Mast that can shoot the 3?
Not necessarily alot of threes but a good midrange jump shot would help too. Watch Tyger Campbell tonight do that off the screen and hit the 12 fter. Can't Lipsey become as good as him, or am I dreaming?

Reactions: isucy86

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
Some guys just have “it” and Lipsey is in that group- he will improve enough to be a threat to make 2 a game which is the key- as long as the scouting report says he’s a threat and you can’t play 8’ off of him like this year it will stretch the defense and help the spacing. He’ll improve because he knows what he needs to do and will put the work in. He’s a winner.