Love For Tre Jackson!

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
He is playing great and I think that should be acknowledged. He is a steadying influence out there on the floor, plays good d, and seems to step up in moments where the team needs it. Hunter was struggling for a bit yesterday and he came in and steadied the ship. Love him, he stayed with program while everybody else left. He has bought in and is playing a great role for our team.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
He is playing great and I think that should be acknowledged. He is a steadying influence out there on the floor, plays good d, and seems to step up in moments where the team needs it. Hunter was struggling for a bit yesterday and he came in and steadied the ship. Love him, he stayed with program while everybody else left. He has bought in and is playing a great role for our team.
He is a great team player

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Creighton was the first game I was able to watch the whole game and I kind of wondered why he hasn’t gotten more minutes all year. Maybe he matched up well with them.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
From what little I watched last year, it seemed like he was one of the only players that brought any energy at all last year, he just didn't have a clear role. I wouldn't have blamed him if he had left, but so happy he stayed. He seems like a perfect role model for the kids coming in next year of buying into your role and doing whatever you can to support your teammates. Reminds me a lot of Naz, a selfless leader that contributes to winning even when the shots aren't falling.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I said in one of the game threads - what an advantage and luxury it is to have Tre & Grill off the bench.

Tre is really solid defensively, and can score if left alone - which often happens because opponent is focused on others first. And he lets Hunter (or Gabe, or IB) rest and you don't have a huge dropoff; you just trade O for D really. And you can use him to keep up the pressure on the other teams scoring guard(s) all game long. What a relief and marvel that he is finally being used in a way that highlights his strengths!

Grill is more physical, probably a bit more O and less D than Tre. But still a P5 quality backup you can trust out there. If he turns into a mini-Matty Ice with the shooting... it may be hard to keep starting Gabe. I think Grill would start for a lot of P5 teams.

Combined, they really provide great minutes and keep the 3 starters fresher, so they can in turn play higher intensity when they are out there. And that intensity is required for the how this team is going to succeed, pressuring the perimeter and ball all the time. Absolutely CRITICAL pieces for this team to succeed.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Creighton was the first game I was able to watch the whole game and I kind of wondered why he hasn’t gotten more minutes all year. Maybe he matched up well with them.
He averages 17 min / game, about the same as Enaruna. Hunter plays 29 min / game, so they average being on the court together ~6 min/game. (Grill and Kunc both average >20 min/g off the bench!)

all of that seems about right.

the biggest thing for Tre, in my opinion, is to keep knocking down open shots. He’s at 39% from deep on the year, which is huge for this team. The “bench”, Tre Grill and Kunc, are combined making almost 4 threes per game and shooting 44%. They’ve also combined for 32 assists, 21 steals and only 17 turnovers.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It would be huge if he could be the 40% 3P shooting backup pg effort guy off the bench. And when needed, co-pg against the good defensive teams. With Grill being the off-guard or wing version.

Hunter and Jackson together with IB or Gabe is a small backcourt, but they all give great effort and can keep guys in front. Heck, Hunter, IB, Gabe is a small backcourt. Hmm, dare I say similar to LE's second best team (JT, Horton, Jake/Shane). No wizard like JT, but I wonder what JT's advanced stats would be now?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He's been up and down game-by-game (as have all the players) but mostly up...

1638803767638.png

Nice stat line in limited minutes against Creighton --

10 minutes
110.5 ORTG
88% TS
3/4 from the field
1/2 from three
2 steals, 1 turnover
+4.0 net rating

You have to play very well to get a +4.0 in 10 minutes.

Grill was an +8.9 in 24 minutes, in comparison.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He's been up and down game-by-game (as have all the players) but mostly up...

View attachment 92843

Nice stat line in limited minutes against Creighton --

10 minutes
110.5 ORTG
88% TS
3/4 from the field
1/2 from three
2 steals, 1 turnover
+4.0 net rating

You have to play very well to get a +4.0 in 10 minutes.

Grill was an +8.9 in 24 minutes, in comparison.
Tre kept us afloat in the early parts of the first half. Got a steal and 5 points in a short period of time when points were really hard to come by.

Great glue guy and seems like a great culture guy.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
It's fun to see Tre, Caleb, and Jaz enter the game as extremely reliable bench guys. I look forward to seeing what they're going to bring to the game with their energy and pace. Their skill sets really compliments the starters.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10 and Frak

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Tre is in the perfect role for him on this years team. He's also put in a ton of work on his ballhandling and it shows. Last year, he was more or less afraid to dribble or make plays for other guys, he just tried to get rid of the ball as soon as he could, he looks really comfortable running things this year.