Love For Tre Jackson!

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I trust the coaches and feel if it's not broke then don't fix it. Both Grill and Kunc are getting lots of minutes off the bench.
Yeah, Tre, Grill and Kunc seem to have really bought into bringing the energy off the bench. With really an 8-man rotation, there’s plenty of minutes to go around.

my favorite line-up is when they “go small” (no offense to Conditt):
Hunter
Grill
Gabe
Brockingnton
Kunc

they have pressed or trap-zone out of that and have the ability to switch everything. It also gives the best off-ball movement on offense.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So basically just underclassmen Matt and Naz.

Cement collars? That seems like a really poor use of hyperbole if this is your list.
Ashton and Cooke barely played. No one would say Bolton and Wigginton were dependent on their shots to make an impact. Scotty and DJ both were not cement collars when not shooting well. Their spacing contributions alone were still valuable, and Scotty in particular had a very underrated handle and overall game. He was part-time pg on a tournament team

I love you.

*need a TJ emoji here*

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I'll gladly eat some crow. The last couple years I absolutely did not think Tre was more than a low-mid major player. Same for Grill for that matter. They have both proved me wrong and been outstanding.

Reactions: VeloClone

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yeah, Tre, Grill and Kunc seem to have really bought into bringing the energy off the bench. With really an 8-man rotation, there’s plenty of minutes to go around.

my favorite line-up is when they “go small” (no offense to Conditt):
Hunter
Grill
Gabe
Brockingnton
Kunc

they have pressed or trap-zone out of that and have the ability to switch everything. It also gives the best off-ball movement on offense.
That one is fun. I like the thought of the two pg lineup with Jackson too, but I am betting on Jackson continuing to emerge as an efficient 3 and D complementary pg. And Enaruna has shown flashes as an interesting creator at the 4 or 5, perfect alongside Kunc.

My favorite part is this staff seems to have a good feel for different lineups, as well a minutes management in general. Use the bench so you can demand the desired effort and prevent fatigue/foul trouble, but don't just sub to sub. So far, they've gotten guys to buy into the belief that when they are the best ones to be on the court, they will generally get the chance.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I am amazed how selfless these kids are every game. Someone doesn’t have “it” that night there are others who step up, someone gets beat on the dribble somebody is usually in the right position to step up defensively.
This is the type of basketball that Michigan State plays and has deep runs in March.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That one is fun. I like the thought of the two pg lineup with Jackson too, but I am betting on Jackson continuing to emerge as an efficient 3 and D complementary pg. And Enaruna has shown flashes as an interesting creator at the 4 or 5, perfect alongside Kunc.

My favorite part is this staff seems to have a good feel for different lineups, as well a minutes management in general. Use the bench so you can demand the desired effort and prevent fatigue/foul trouble, but don't just sub to sub. So far, they've gotten guys to buy into the belief that when they are the best ones to be on the court, they will generally get the chance.

Does anybody have lineup +/- data available?

Easy to find for the NBA but I've never seen it for NCAA MBB.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Enaruna is such an enigma. He's so smooth and effortless - showing flashes of being able to do whatever he wants on the floor (a poor man's Giannis), but then he just ... disappears.

I really like the line-up with him and Kunc on the floor at the same time - it's not a huge front line, but very active and athletic. I expect we'll see more of it, especially against teams without a pure center.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Enaruna is such an enigma. He's so smooth and effortless - showing flashes of being able to do whatever he wants on the floor (a poor man's Giannis), but then he just ... disappears.

I really like the line-up with him and Kunc on the floor at the same time - it's not a huge front line, but very active and athletic. I expect we'll see more of it, especially against teams without a pure center.

I kinda like having Enaruna in SL with Kunc off-bench ... it's a contrast in style that I think might throw opponents a little off-balance ... Enaruna more fluid/steady, then Kunc more shot-out-of-a-cannon.

• Agree
Reactions: TomTreebow

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

I wonder if he needs a play or two drawn up for him to get in the flow. I don't know, he has the raw talent, but seems to lack the feel.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Enaruna seems hesitant at times like he is thinking too hard. He seems to be in-between stages of raw talent and being a smart player.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Enaruna seems hesitant at times like he is thinking too hard. He seems to be in-between stages of raw talent and being a smart player.

I wonder if he is trying to grow from athlete to basketball player.

He reminds me so much of early Nader - flashes of wow, but lots of meh, and occasional wtf. Hope he develops along the same trajectory, that would be fantastic.

• Agree
Reactions: Rural and Cycsk

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Very solid performance in limited minutes. He changed the momentum of the game when he checked in around midway through the first half and made some key buckets throughout.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Can Tre Jackson be to this team what Tyrus McGee was to the 2012 team? Hoping he can get more playing time. He’s been a big spark off the bench.

Help Support Us

Become a patron