Lua brewing introduces THC/CBD beverage

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
FWIW from the best that I can tell the senate did not pick it up, today is another funnel deadline and they are adjourned until Monday. So, unless I missed something or they find a way to add it into something else budget related it should be dead for the year.
Hemp regulation: House File 2605 would make significant changes to the 2019 Iowa Hemp Act. The bill would cap tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) amounts in consumable hemp products at 4 milligrams per serving, and at 10 mg per container. The bill, passed by the House Tuesday and placed on the “unfinished business” calendar in the Senate, would also impose an age restriction of 21 for purchasing products containing THC, require warning labels on the products, and add new rules and penalties related to the possession, sale and manufacture of hemp products.
There are several exceptions to the “funnel” deadline. Bills with spending, tax and government oversight components are exempt from the deadline. Additionally, legislative leaders put bills on the “unfinished business” calendar, allowing them to stay alive past the deadline if both chambers have designated the legislation for further consideration, or if it is attached to another bill that remains eligible.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I've never had a bad beer at Barntown, and I think their food is excellent. I just think Lua, Confluence, and Alluvial are better breweries within the same general market. I don't care for pastry/fruit kettle sours much, and I'm a little bored by hazebro IPAs (but I like them).
fruity chick beers or real beer? Tough call, but I’ll go with real beer.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I really need to dig in to the sour thing this summer, make a real effort to see what it’s all about.

I feel like IPA drinkers (which is my preference) are naturally averse to sours. Feels like the opposite end of the spectrum.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Man, the Barn Town slander in here is wild. It’s literally one of the top rated breweries in the US and y’all are shitting on it like it’s hot garbage.
I think Barn Town is good beer, they're just hella expensive. As an IPA fan, I like their Neon IPA - its $16.00 for a 4 pack on their site. That's insane to me.

To be fair to them, a lot of craft beers are stupid expensive right now.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I really need to dig in to the sour thing this summer, make a real effort to see what it’s all about.

I feel like IPA drinkers (which is my preference) are naturally averse to sours. Feels like the opposite end of the spectrum.
I think there's some truth to this. While I like all types of beers and my mood changes, as a whole IPAs are probably what I drink most. I pretty much love all types of beers, but I just can't do sours at all. Maybe this isn't strange, but I like kombucha, and lots of vinegar flavors in food and cooking. But there is just something about sour beers that I can't handle. I suppose it's my brain telling me that certain flavor profiles belong in certain foods and drinks, but not others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnerclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think Barn Town is good beer, they're just hella expensive. As an IPA fan, I like their Neon IPA - its $16.00 for a 4 pack on their site. That's insane to me.

Yes, $16 4/pack is pretty standard now. When I go to Wall to Wall, I set a $20 limit unless it's something I HAVE to have. The other day I saw something from Pulpit Rock that sounded good and weas only $18. I went to put it in my cart....it was a 2 pack.

• Wow
Reactions: ClonerJams

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I understand it’s more about preference of styles than anything but they make solid beer from lagers to ba stouts. As someone who is in the industry I am pretty burnt out on hazy ipas and prefer wc ipas as I always have and any style of lager. Sours are a niche thing and BT was one of the pioneers for gluten-free sours, so I absolutely respect Pete and his team for that.

I will be the first to admit I haven’t had the chance to drink every style from every brewery in central Iowa but I’ve had enough to know that Lua is #1 and BT is my #2. Ratings alone on beer advocate and Untappd will confirm that. Confluence and Big Grove are doing a great job as well with hazies and I’m really excited to get to try more.

Also $16 for a 4-pack is insanely cheap for a 16oz 6% ipa. I can guarantee you their margins are not that high on that beer at that price point. The majority of IPA 4-packs across this country run $18-$24, depending on brewery size and a few other factors.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Don't the T.Rex themed IPA's from Toppling Goliath all have a fruity theme? Quite good to my palate and I would not consider them "girly beer".

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Don't the T.Rex themed IPA's from Toppling Goliath all have a fruity theme? Quite good to my palate and I would not consider them "girly beer".
It’s Pseudo Sue and yes it has a lot of citra hops in it.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
$4/beer isn't that pricey, IMO. Especially since Barn Town's beers are packaged in 16 oz cans.
Most good breweries in MN charge $14-22 for an IPA 4 Pack depending on what it is and what brewery

Reactions: MJ29

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

My wife likes both IPAs and sours. I like IPAs but am more picky on sours. Also there are a lot of different kinds of sours out there now with the more traditional to the smoothie style. I can do the smoothie ones but the more traditional ones can be a little harsh for me. My wife also loves sour patch kids so maybe that has something to do with it.

I still love a good hazy IPA but I'm definitely not drinking as many and have really transitioned to wanting a good pilsner or lager. Just something clean and refreshing. If I want a little more bite I go pils

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Climbing Kites are 15% off on their website through the end of March, btw. Free shipping if you spend over $75.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Don't look at the price of their THC seltzers...yikes. Over $40 after taxes for a 4 pack.