Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I just got done seeing the Marvel's with my 4 daughters. It was fun. I think there is a lot they are doing to try and appeal to a younger female audience with this movie and it worked with my girls. I'm not sure if it's a winning formula overall for Marvel. I feel like it's not going to be popular with a lot of the traditional marvel fanbase and the box office is going to be bad, but I appreciate the effort. I just hope they don't push Ms Marvel aside if the movie doesn't make money because she is a fun character and there is a lot of potential there.

And yes, the post credit scene is a big moment for the film and MCU, and makes some sense for one movie in particular we know is coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aclone

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
People are killing the movie for its poor editing and lack of plot. Not sure I’m going to waste money seeing this in theaters

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
People are killing the movie for its poor editing and lack of plot. Not sure I’m going to waste money seeing this in theaters
I might go, depends. My daughter goes to every marvel with me so it might be worth a daddy daughter date night. Have seen all of the others, so might as well.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The story is not great and poorly explained, but I haven't been great with keeping up with Marvel stuff the last couple of years. I still haven't seen multiverse of madness or anything after that really. I did watch Ms Marvel with my girls so that's why we went to see this. I have a feeling the thing I was missing the most was Secret Invasion. I had no idea why Nick Fury was on a space station or anything going on with the skrulls.

There is also an aspect of the story where the three main characters keep switching places and it never really makes sense and then it just kind of conveniently goes away when the plot needs it to. The villain falls pretty flat as well. The enjoyment of the movie really comes from the characters and their interactions and some pretty good comedic moments. There is some really funny flerken action in the movie. But overall I would not say its a good movie.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I thought the editing was fine and the plot was fine. My expectations were set accordingly, and I thought it was a really fun movie. I really don’t have any problems with it. It won’t win any awards but so what - why does it have to?

Unfortunately, it’s still really cool and popular (and earns clicks/$$) to act like a professional movie critic with anything Marvel. All of a sudden, everyone cares about “editing” and set design and 3rd acts and other random movie critic-y things that people think make them sound smarter or sound like a REAL movie buff (ya know, not someone that would LOWER themselves to THESE types of movies…unless of course it earns clicks by being positive about it).

It’s a movie that intends to be quirky and make you smile and laugh. And there indeed are some kick ass women-only fight scenes. Hell, the whole thing is women. Nothing about the women-only thing felt forced at all (unlike that scene in Endgame which was poorly done). The “body switching” dynamic was unique and was cool, and its editing was absolutely fine. The Goose stuff, IMHO, was fun and creative. Overall, it is absolutely as entertaining as other Marvel projects in earlier phases.

This also solidifies Ms. Marvel as a long standing key player for Marvel for many, many years to come.

And yeah…the post credit scene (per usual with Marvel) has me excited.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
The story is not great and poorly explained, but I haven't been great with keeping up with Marvel stuff the last couple of years. I still haven't seen multiverse of madness or anything after that really. I did watch Ms Marvel with my girls so that's why we went to see this. I have a feeling the thing I was missing the most was Secret Invasion. I had no idea why Nick Fury was on a space station or anything going on with the skrulls.

There is also an aspect of the story where the three main characters keep switching places and it never really makes sense and then it just kind of conveniently goes away when the plot needs it to. The villain falls pretty flat as well. The enjoyment of the movie really comes from the characters and their interactions and some pretty good comedic moments. There is some really funny flerken action in the movie. But overall I would not say its a good movie.
No, please don’t want to watch Secret Invasion. THAT is a true flop, and Marvel’s worst.

Really odd comment about the switching; they explained it well (and repeatedly), and then immediately explained it when it stopped.

“The enjoyment of the movie really comes from the characters and their interactions…”

^The base element of a ‘good’ and entertaining movie.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
No, please don’t want to watch Secret Invasion. THAT is a true flop, and Marvel’s worst.

Really odd comment about the switching; they explained it well (and repeatedly), and then immediately explained it when it stopped.

“The enjoyment of the movie really comes from the characters and their interactions…”

^The base element of a ‘good’ and entertaining movie.
If you thought the explanation of the switching made sense, or how it worked, that's fine. To me it was sort of a hand waving explanation, and the reason for them switching, presumably using their super powers at the same time, was completely inconsistent.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If you thought the explanation of the switching made sense, or how it worked, that's fine. To me it was sort of a hand waving explanation, and the reason for them switching, presumably using their super powers at the same time, was completely inconsistent.
Made perfect sense to me. I’m not sure what you’re missing. It was actually perfectly consistent.
You’re basing whether you go or not based on what some people say? Sigh.

Neither of those were remotely a problem—but I’m not going to explain either, because spoilers.

Or the plot twist.

The only thing I had a problem with was that it was so fast paced there was rarely time for more than superficial exchanges, no real extended conversation. But that’s probably personal preference.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Made perfect sense to me. I’m not sure what you’re missing. It was actually perfectly consistent.
Ok. Guess I'm too dumb to understand marvel movies then. I was watching over 4 kids by myself while I was watching the movie so maybe I missed some stuff.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I thought the Marvels was perfectly fine. Shorter run time was good, but maybe another 10-15 flesh out some things might have helped. I certainly enjoyed this much more than Quantumania.

Those after scenes though. Straight fire.

• Optimistic
  • Informative
Reactions: Gorm and Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

I'm personally glad to hear that if there is a Thor 5, Taika won't be directing it
100% agree! Ragnarok was so good and it was just enough Taika. But you never let Taika have too much leash and that’s exactly what happened with Love and Thunder.

Reactions: CycloneEggie

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
100% agree! Ragnarok was so good and it was just enough Taika. But you never let Taika have too much leash and that’s exactly what happened with Love and Thunder.

Taika is the prototypical director getting too high on their own supply. Heard his recent Last Goal Wins was pretty bad as well.

Reactions: bos and jctisu

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Believe it or not, I'm going to have some pretty positive things to say about Marvel here. I'm also going to stay away from spoilers.

I finished Loki, and honestly I thought S2 was up and down but the ending was the best thing Marvel has produced since Endgame IMO. It was beautiful, it showed real growth for the character, it was emotional, it had a real vibe, and it clearly knew what it was doing even if I didn't think everything worked perfectly. That happens though. I also binged it which I think helps because then you don't get all caught up in Majors' performance as Victor Timely for example which I thought just didn't work. Overall though things are extremely difficult to end and they did a remarkable job with the character and series.

I also saw The Marvels last night. Honestly fun movie. It moves quickly. There was some silly stuff but it got back to what I think was a good Marvel formula of having some good jokes and the leads played off of one another well. Brie Larson clearly just does not give a crap and should only be brought in for the next Avengers movie or something. I had no problem with the power switching thing, I mean it's just a plot device to get all of our heroes together. You can't look too far under the hood with most of these superhero movies. IMO this is probably the best Phase 4/5 movie if you ask me after Spider Man.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Believe it or not, I'm going to have some pretty positive things to say about Marvel here. I'm also going to stay away from spoilers.

I finished Loki, and honestly I thought S2 was up and down but the ending was the best thing Marvel has produced since Endgame IMO. It was beautiful, it showed real growth for the character, it was emotional, it had a real vibe, and it clearly knew what it was doing even if I didn't think everything worked perfectly. That happens though. I also binged it which I think helps because then you don't get all caught up in Majors' performance as Victor Timely for example which I thought just didn't work. Overall though things are extremely difficult to end and they did a remarkable job with the character and series.

I also saw The Marvels last night. Honestly fun movie. It moves quickly. There was some silly stuff but it got back to what I think was a good Marvel formula of having some good jokes and the leads played off of one another well. Brie Larson clearly just does not give a crap and should only be brought in for the next Avengers movie or something. I had no problem with the power switching thing, I mean it's just a plot device to get all of our heroes together. You can't look too far under the hood with most of these superhero movies. IMO this is probably the best Phase 4/5 movie if you ask me after Spider Man.

What I'm gathering in general is that people who see the Marvels really enjoy it, and there's a huge surge of opinion writers and their followers who are way too giddy to dump on the movie.

I'll just let this thread be its own evidence of that, and the slew of articles obsessed with proving this film is a disaster.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What I'm gathering in general is that people who see the Marvels really enjoy it, and there's a huge surge of opinion writers and their followers who are way too giddy to dump on the movie.

I'll just let this thread be its own evidence of that, and the slew of articles obsessed with proving this film is a disaster.

I wouldn't say I really enjoyed it. I'd say it's a good time at the movies. It's kind of like the first Ant-Man, although I'd say Ant-Man was a lot better. It's not really significant in any way, you laugh at some jokes, you have a good time with the characters and it doesn't have to be more than that. It's not 30 minutes too long like the recent installments, etc. It's a tight like hour and 35/40 minutes of actual runtime. Our showing started at 5:30 and I was home by 7:15.

I'll say I don't have any problem with the people that don't like it either. Again, Brie Larson absolutely phoned it in. This is a woman who won an Oscar and there is a scene where she has to deliver this speech where she's showing emotion and it's literally just bad. I forgot who Spectrum was and where I'd seen her, and about halfway through the movie I remembered she was in WandaVision which is a show I didn't like so I had no emotional investment in that character. There was some stuff that just didn't make sense.

I will say I think critics are tired of Marvel stans too. I love Marvel at it's height. I was in a hotel a lot this weekend and basically TBS/FX just run Marvel movies all weekend so I watched some old ones. I'll defend those phase 2/3 movies forever. But I don't have a lot of patience with people who feel the need to go to bat for overstuffed, boring, and stupid stuff in phase 4/5.

But people need to call a spade a spade, and this is a perfectly good time at the movie theater.