MBB Departures: First McIntosh, then "?"

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
In a sheer attempt at rationalization, I've convinced myself that these two defections have little consequence. Before the season ever started, we didn't know what to expect out of these guys. It didn't take long for us to realize that they (Corey especially) were short-term solutions to shore up a large problem: lack of any kind of depth at the guard positions.

While the depth still won't be there next year, we'll be developing the future of the program faster than if Corey and Dodie had stayed because these new, higher caliber guys will get the immediate chance to play heavy minutes and develop their games. With all that said, Dodie's the one that hurts much more...he would only be a sophomore next year, and one of our only long-range threats.

Anybody else buying my desperate attempt at rationalization? :rolleyes5cz:

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
In a sheer attempt at rationalization, I've convinced myself that these two defections have little consequence. Before the season ever started, we didn't know what to expect out of these guys. It didn't take long for us to realize that they (Corey especially) were short-term solutions to shore up a large problem: lack of any kind of depth at the guard positions.

While the depth still won't be there next year, we'll be developing the future of the program faster than if Corey and Dodie had stayed because these new, higher caliber guys will get the immediate chance to play heavy minutes and develop their games. With all that said, Dodie's the one that hurts much more...he would only be a sophomore next year, and one of our only long-range threats.

Anybody else buying my desperate attempt at rationalization? :rolleyes5cz:

I at least buy into starting all my posts with "In a sheer attempt at rationalization..."! In the short run, I didn't think losing one of our guards before next year was that big of a deal. Obviously losing two is a challenge, and losing three a bit of a train smash.

So, under which of those three scenarious do we try to add another guard from juco ranks? If we lose one, I say no, don't add another. I even think if we lose two, I am not sure I would add another. If we lose all three, then I think we have to add another guard, and specifically a ball hawking point guard.

So why not if we lose one or two? We already have lots of guards recruited over the next two years. If I have this correct, we already have 5 guards committed the next two years: 2007 = Garrett, Boozer, Brister; 2008 = Eikmeier, Buckley: I realize some count Staiger as a guard, but I didn't include him as he sounds like more of a three to me.

Thus, if we have another schollie available, and a great big man is available, then I would still go that way if we are only losing one and likely even if we are losing two. The concern on losing two is if they happen to be both our points guards.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
jeeze, if it is infact Dodie transferring, with Corey gone, and the outside possibility of Taylor getting dismissed from the team, we could have some pretty big holes by the time all is said and done.

Frankly, I thought we had some pretty big holes to fill with these guys on the team!

The only guy I would actually really lose sleep over if we lost him would be Wesley Johnson!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
That is Cyclone basketball for you. I can't remember the last season where 1) everyone came back that could come back, 2) all the recruits we signed actually played on the team, 3) there were no academic suspensions.

I was hoping this would all clear up with McD at the helm, but so far it's same ol' same ol'.

Actually, this is quite typical of many programs throughout the country.

I follow LSU very closely and they (like many other programs) deal with these issues nearly every year. In fact, they lost a JUCO recruit named Spencer Ford a couple of years ago.

His loss left a scholarship offer open and they decided to give it to a guy named Tyrus Thomas who was ready to sign with North Texas (his only other scholarship offer). You may remember that Tyrus Thomas helped LSU get to the Final Four and he is now a highly paid Chicago Bull!

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
Actually, I hope that we don't try to sign the next best JUCO guard and stand pat with what we have. As was pointed out, we have alot of guards (and pretty good ones too) coming in over the next couple of years. Getting these players immediate PT will do them good and since they are Frosh instead of JUCOs they will (hopefully) be around for the long term.

Yes, things may very well suck in the short term especially in conf play. But I, for one, can live with it as long as I see improvements like this year. The improvement in Jiri, Wesley, and even Corey Mac was good to see. Anyone watching the team over the course of the season could see that MacD is a good teacher. Give him some talent and some time and I have no doubt that he will take these incoming frosh and having them playing B12 caliber play in a year or two or perhaps even sooner. Are Brister and Garrett as good as touted? Guess we will find out very soon.

If MT leaves too then the JUCO route may be the way to go, but in my opinion there probably isn't anyone available with the skills to contribute right away anyway.

I'd be sad if it is Dodie who is really leaving. He seemed like a good kid, had decent skills, athetic ability, and attitude. Under Mac he could have developed into a really nice player. If he leaves, he will be missed.

jkoo

Apr 21, 2006
hate to break bad news but on friday (last day to drop classes), dodie was in alumni hall dropping multiple (3 i wanna say) classes. that would go along with Jeremy stating the "academic" reasons for a mystery gaurd transferring out.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
this sucks.. and we may lose taylor..so we could be down 3 guards...
i guess buckley doesnt have to worry about playing time once he gets here in a couple of years

He-Man

Mar 22, 2007
Eternia
this sucks.. and we may lose taylor..so we could be down 3 guards...
i guess buckley doesnt have to worry about playing time once he gets here in a couple of years

Look on the bright side. Iowa doesn't have a coach, and Maric is still hideous. :wink0st:

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Look on the bright side. Iowa doesn't have a coach, and Maric is still hideous. :wink0st:

those are 2 very good points...:yes4lo:

i will also be excited to see what boozer does, alot of people on here have been saying he wont do much and will prob. red shirt (this was b4 all this stuff started happening) but on the outside of this i have heard good things about him, and i have heard that he is very mentaly tough, which may be somthing this team could use next year

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
It would be nice for Carlos Boozer to get to some games to watch little brother (and leave some cash for JP.)

JHutch

Mar 19, 2006
thats what would of been nice havin MJ's son....the greatest ever sittin in hilton with cyclone gear on and leavin buckets of cash...too bad that didnt work out

Cyphor

Aug 9, 2006
Frankly I'd rather have it be Dodie. Dodie is going to be a solid guard wherever he goes but Taylor has a lot more experiance running the team. I rather have at least one guard comming back next year with a lot of experaince so that we are not too green. Dodie was never going to be more than a solid role player coming off the bench. The guys comming in this year seem like they have more potential.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
STOP SAYING
"its dodie"
"its Mike"

If ur going to say it at least have some type of source, hell i can say
its dodie or mike
means nothing...

thats like me saying
Iowa is going to hire Larry Brown

Unfortunately it is much more likely to be Dodie or Mike than Larry Brown will coach Iowa.....

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If Altman is hired by Iowa, maybe PJ Stinnet is then available again. Plus Kenton Walker. Take those marbles.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
I realize that several are in the camp to keep the scholarship, and so am I. However, if we had to use it. Why not, Cem Dinc? He was rumored to be a possibility when people were talking about losing Jiri to the Euro league. We have a spare scholarship, he is 6-10'.

I realize that we have Thompson, Wesley, Jiri, Cory, Marsden, and Brackins coming in. But, Wesley, Cory, and Brackins are probably more comfortable as 4's. That leaves Jiri, Thompson, and Marsden as 5's. It would create a little bottleneck, but you can never have too much depth.