MLB: Mike Trout Gettin' Paaiiidddddd

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, Albert Pujols wanted a deal from the Cardinals in 2012 at the height of his career/popularity as well. They didn't do it and the Angels did. That deal has worked out awesome for the Angels...

Pujols was 5 years older.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I would be really interested in a lesson about sports economics. Some of these contract numbers are so bonkers that I can't see how it is even close to being profitable for the teams.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
Problem with paying an every day player this kind of money is you can avoid him in clutch situations...play 4 outfilders and never throw a strike. On the other hand, hard to avoid good pitching.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I agree, winning consistently revolves around a strong farm system. Build around your homegrown guys then supplement with key trades (using your other prospects) as needed. That's typically a good recipe for success. But you and I probably won't see another Trout in our lifetimes. A smart bet would be that we definitely won't...
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23800260/how-mike-trout-stacks-mlb-greats-first-1000-games
He isn't the same player as ANYONE that has ever been the centerpiece in one these mega-deals. If you're into WAR as a stat, his laughs in the face of literally everyone else's to ever play the game. Like you said, you don't not do this if you're the Angels.
I think the Angels will be fine. Will they win a WS? Who knows. That's hard to do for everyone. And I 100% agree that they can't win with just Trout. Baseball isn't the NBA where you can have Lebron carry your entire team to a ring (lol Lakers... what are you doing?!). You've got to have good arms in the rotation and in the bullpen, you have to be good defensively, and you have to have more than one or two guys who produce runs. And you also need some luck and a hot streak in October. Only time will tell for the Angels.

I did check what they have for prospects on the farm... it isn't Padres or Braves caliber but those two are on a completely different level right now. They do have one of the best prospects in baseball in a 19 y.o. outfielder and a couple more top 100 guys. Definitely in the lower half of the league though. Be interesting to see what they do.
I don't think anyone who thinks is a bad deal understand this. He's not just a star/superstar. He is legitimately one of, if not the best player of. all. time. You give once in a lifetime players whatever they want and don't think twice

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I would be really interested in a lesson about sports economics. Some of these contract numbers are so bonkers that I can't see how it is even close to being profitable for the teams.

In 2011, the Angels signed a 20 year, $3 billion TV deal with Fox Sports. That's roughly $150 million per year in TV revenue. Just TV revenue. That's not counting ticket sales, merchandise, other game day revenue, or other sponsorship deals. I don't think the Angels are hurting for cash.

https://losangeles.sbnation.com/los...20-years-albert-pujols-c-j-wilson-arte-moreno

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
In 2011, the Angels signed a 20 year, $3 billion TV deal with Fox Sports. That's roughly $150 million per year in TV revenue. Just TV revenue. I don't think the Angels are hurting for cash.
https://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-angeles-angels/2011/12/8/2622757/los-angeles-
angels-tv-deal-3-billion-20-years-albert-pujols-c-j-wilson-arte-moreno

Now their fans would just like to see it translate into post season wins, which have been pretty sparse in the last seven years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron