MLB: Mike Trout Gettin' Paaiiidddddd

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
If you asked 100 people who are casual sports fans who the best player in baseball is, how many would say Trout? He is miles ahead of anyone else. Miles. It's not debatable, yet I bet 40 people would say someone other than him. It's not that people don't realize he's good. It's more that people don't realize the trajectory he's on which, if things go somewhat as expected, will lead to easily the best of all time. I kind of compare him to Tiger Woods. Yeah, sure, the casual sports fan knew he was good, but they didn't know just how good he was for 10 years.

If you did the same thing for, say Lebron, he would get much higher numbers I bet.
I would say it's partially Trout's doing, that and the team not being great. He is by all means a fantastic player, but he doesn't have a big personality nor does he do a ton of attention seeking off the field, whether it be events or ads or whatever.

Reactions: clone34

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Good for Mike, but man, just dont see this working out well for the Angels. Really hard to build a good team when 1 guy is making so much of your payroll

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to say the Angels signed a $3 billion (with a B) TV contract a few years ago.

This doesn't include $$ generated by playing the games or selling merch.

If Trout's star power helps Artie get a deal that includes land he can develop in Anaheim or a sweetheart deal in Long Beach this will look like complete robbery.

$$ hasn't been the issue. How they spend the money has been a problem

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Hate to see this kind on money thrown around. That's about $70,000 per at bat. And that's playing all the time w/o injuries. Sorry, but these guys are just not worth that kind of money.
The owners disagree.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The owners disagree.

Of course, they're the recipient of $100 game tickets, $10 beers, and overpriced cable/satelitte packages. But, it's your money if you want to spend it on $70,000 at bats.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The teams seem to think so otherwise they wouldn't be paying them that.

I agree completely. I was just trying to point out that I think it’s silly to question the worth of the high-paid, superstars in sports. “I don’t have a problem with guys getting paid $17 million a year, but holy cow Mike Trout (the best player in the game) getting paid $35m+ is a bridge too far” is a pretty common sentiment among a certain segment of fans.

If you want to have an intellectual discussion about the morality of the obscene amounts of money that people willingly choose to spend to watch adults play games, then have it. But it’s not Mike Trout’s fault that he’s getting paid an insane amount of money. If people really think things are out of hand financially in professional sports, then stop giving the owners your money.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I agree completely. I was just trying to point out that I think it’s silly to question the worth of the high-paid, superstars in sports. “I don’t have a problem with guys getting paid $17 million a year, but holy cow Mike Trout (the best player in the game) getting paid $35m+ is a bridge too far” is a pretty common sentiment among a certain segment of fans.

If you want to have an intellectual discussion about the morality of the obscene amounts of money that people willingly choose to spend to watch adults play games, then have it. But it’s not Mike Trout’s fault that he’s getting paid an insane amount of money. If people really think things are out of hand financially in professional sports, then stop giving the owners your money.
Totally agree with your comments but to bring this back to baseball:

Does anybody else see these gigantic superstar contracts and immediately start doing the math for the number of multiple solid pitchers that could be acquired for the same money?

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Totally agree with your comments but to bring this back to baseball:

Does anybody else see these gigantic superstar contracts and immediately start doing the math for the number of multiple solid pitchers that could be acquired for the same money?

Absolutely. Superstars are important, but you can get so many very good players for the same money.
It also jacks up the base price for all players.

Maybe teams have the money to sign superstars and role players as well, but it seems like some of these contracts are going to hamstring the organization.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I just don't get why teams are OK with locking themselves into a decade long deal with no out. No matter how great the player is you still can't predict the future. Trout's a relative bargain now but two thirds of the way through the contract it'll already be an albatross unless his prime extends into his late 30s; same for Bryce Harper. Pay them monster money for 5-7 years, sure. Makes sense for every one. The team doesn't have the long term obligation and the player gets another chance for a huge payday if they play well.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart

Aug 26, 2014
As a cubs fan I fear for what KB is going to want
I love KB but I wouldn't want him to have a contract like this. So much can happen and players fade at different points of their careers. I would hate to pay a guy like that for a 12 year deal and in year 5 he starts hitting .250 with 18 HRs. Not terrible, but for $36 million a year? No thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

The only issue I have is when the owners leverage their team into deals with cities to pay for stadiums/upgrades. I'm not a huge fan of that and I wish cities would all just tell them to get bent.

• Agree
Reactions: Dingus

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Yeah, Albert Pujols wanted a deal from the Cardinals in 2012 at the height of his career/popularity as well. They didn't do it and the Angels did. That deal has worked out awesome for the Angels...
It was widely talked about that the Pujols contract was bad for the Angels. He was 32 at the time. And he was a hell of a player but not on Trout’s level. Won’t dispute that was a terrible contract. Trout is 27 and will be in legitimate consideration as the best player of all time. Yes, he’ll likely decline after he gets to 35 or so. But if the Angels played paddy cake and waited him out, there’s a solid chance he would leave and the Angels just turned away one of the best players of all time. They did the right thing here

• Winner
Reactions: cyclone101

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
He got what the market would dictate. Good for him. He is worth every penny that the Angels have paid. It would have been a PR nightmare for the Angels not to pay him and still have that albatross contract that they gave to Pulious still around.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I gotta disagree. He made 34 million in 2018. They just locked in the best player in baseball (maybe ever) for an extra 10 years at just 2 million more. Assuming he stays healthy (he's never really lived on the DL much) this is a STEAL for the Angels. Plus they'll be able to dump Pujols in like 2 years.

Admittedly, I havent followed baseball as close as I used to the last couple years, but the Angels dont ring a bell when it comes to teams with good farm systems. Thats how you win in the MLB now. If the Angels have loads of talent expected to come up in the next 2-4 years, then I think this is a really good deal. If not, they will continue down the path they have been on for a long time and waste the career of a potential GOAT.

All that being said, I 100% agree the Angels had to make this deal, but I dont see how it works for them.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Wait......he could have had a college scholarship for free and didn't go..... (jimlad)

Just a reminder how sometimes it seems baseball is immune to the narratives we apply to (usually) black males in other sports. :)

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Of course, they're the recipient of $100 game tickets, $10 beers, and overpriced cable/satelitte packages. But, it's your money if you want to spend it on $70,000 at bats.
Therefore they are worth it.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Congrats to him, but wow. Anything over 5 years seems like a giant, unnecessary risk to me.

Imagine back to back ACL tears or Achilles ruptures....GM would probably cry more than the player

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Admittedly, I havent followed baseball as close as I used to the last couple years, but the Angels dont ring a bell when it comes to teams with good farm systems. Thats how you win in the MLB now. If the Angels have loads of talent expected to come up in the next 2-4 years, then I think this is a really good deal. If not, they will continue down the path they have been on for a long time and waste the career of a potential GOAT.

All that being said, I 100% agree the Angels had to make this deal, but I dont see how it works for them.
I agree, winning consistently revolves around a strong farm system. Build around your homegrown guys then supplement with key trades (using your other prospects) as needed. That's typically a good recipe for success. But you and I probably won't see another Trout in our lifetimes. A smart bet would be that we definitely won't...
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23800260/how-mike-trout-stacks-mlb-greats-first-1000-games
He isn't the same player as ANYONE that has ever been the centerpiece in one these mega-deals. If you're into WAR as a stat, his laughs in the face of literally everyone else's to ever play the game. Like you said, you don't not do this if you're the Angels.
I think the Angels will be fine. Will they win a WS? Who knows. That's hard to do for everyone. And I 100% agree that they can't win with just Trout. Baseball isn't the NBA where you can have Lebron carry your entire team to a ring (lol Lakers... what are you doing?!). You've got to have good arms in the rotation and in the bullpen, you have to be good defensively, and you have to have more than one or two guys who produce runs. And you also need some luck and a hot streak in October. Only time will tell for the Angels.

I did check what they have for prospects on the farm... it isn't Padres or Braves caliber but those two are on a completely different level right now. They do have one of the best prospects in baseball in a 19 y.o. outfielder and a couple more top 100 guys. Definitely in the lower half of the league though. Be interesting to see what they do.

• Informative
Reactions: cmjh10

Help Support Us

Become a patron