MLB: Mike Trout Gettin' Paaiiidddddd

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I meant in the grand scope. He's at least as good in the scope of his sport as Lebron and Lebron gets 100 times the discussion. I'm not a huge baseball guy but I heard some people talking about him one time last summer so I dug into it and it's incredible.

Of course, most of this is on baseball and how they market themselves. It's unacceptable that they have someone like Trout who no one knows about.
Agree 100% with that.
Hate to see this kind on money thrown around. That's about $70,000 per at bat. And that's playing all the time w/o injuries. Sorry, but these guys are just not worth that kind of money.
Obviously they are. Organizations are a business, they aren't paying these guys to lose money.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Wow - good for Mike. I personally don't think this is a smart move by the Angels though. You had him for 2 more years - wouldn't it be smarter to let at least the 2019 season play out first?

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I am a big MLB fan & I like Mike Trout. The best thing about him, however, is this: Pretzel.jpg
One of my favorite snacks!!

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I don't know how these things work. What are we talking for waaay more? Like 50 million?
Well it depends... contracts are weird and I'm not super knowledgeable on the topic. But for example, Bryce Harper reportedly had a short-term, big money offer from the Giants that was something like 5 years 45 per year or something and he isn't near the player Trout is. But these guys typically want long-term deals (duh) and teams won't spend that kind of money long-term (duh). Trout's current contract is up in 2020 I think. IMO he could have easily signed for 40 per year or more on a long-term deal as a FA after the Dodgers, Yankees, Phillies, etc. got in a bidding war over him. And he would be worth ever penny of that... it wouldn't be a "wtf are they thinking?!" type deal like a Pujols, A-Rod, etc.
I was listening to MLB radio this morning and they were talking about Harper and the Phillies. Apparently he grades out according to analytics as the second worst defensive outfielder in baseball. He should be a DH in the AL not your $25mil right fielder.
Harper is embarrassingly bad with the glove. I said in another thread that I'm thrilled to death the Phillies signed him for what they did... and I'm a Braves fan.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
This is great for baseball. Hopefully the Angels can build a team around Trout once the Pujols contract is up. We need to see the best player in the playoffs.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Hate to see this kind on money thrown around. That's about $70,000 per at bat. And that's playing all the time w/o injuries. Sorry, but these guys are just not worth that kind of money.

Is any professional athlete “worth” over a million dollars a year in salary?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Artie Moreno has never been shy about big contracts.

Vernon Wells
Josh Hamilton
Albert

None of those contracts went well for the Angels. This has a better chance to be a good investment.

The Angels are also looking for stadium upgrades. Long Beach has tossed their hat in the ring for a new Angel Stadium by the Queen Mary. Anaheim is still in the running too. Star power to help with those negotiations?

Will be an interesting couple of years for Angel fans.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
I would be willing to take what he will pay in a single year in California State Income Tax. Over $1mil is taxed at 13.3%. $4.7+ million every year.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Good for Mike, but man, just dont see this working out well for the Angels. Really hard to build a good team when 1 guy is making so much of your payroll

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
How is he underrated haha..

If you asked 100 people who are casual sports fans who the best player in baseball is, how many would say Trout? He is miles ahead of anyone else. Miles. It's not debatable, yet I bet 40 people would say someone other than him. It's not that people don't realize he's good. It's more that people don't realize the trajectory he's on which, if things go somewhat as expected, will lead to easily the best of all time. I kind of compare him to Tiger Woods. Yeah, sure, the casual sports fan knew he was good, but they didn't know just how good he was for 10 years.

If you did the same thing for, say Lebron, he would get much higher numbers I bet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If you asked 100 people who are casual sports fans who the best player in baseball is, how many would say Trout? He is miles ahead of anyone else. Miles. It's not debatable, yet I bet 40 people would say someone other than him. It's not that people don't realize he's good. It's more that people don't realize the trajectory he's on which, if things go somewhat as expected, will lead to easily the best of all time. I kind of compare him to Tiger Woods. Yeah, sure, the casual sports fan knew he was good, but they didn't know just how good he was for 10 years.

If you did the same thing for, say Lebron, he would get much higher numbers I bet.
Baseball is a divisional game I feel like. People know their own divisions.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Good for Mike, but man, just dont see this working out well for the Angels. Really hard to build a good team when 1 guy is making so much of your payroll
I gotta disagree. He made 34 million in 2018. They just locked in the best player in baseball (maybe ever) for an extra 10 years at just 2 million more. Assuming he stays healthy (he's never really lived on the DL much) this is a STEAL for the Angels. Plus they'll be able to dump Pujols in like 2 years.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Baseball is going to turn into a financial game of 1 percenters. Some guys getting yuge contracts while other average C+ or B- players sitting around unsigned. It's kind of a mess. Pay a couple dudes cray cray money and try to fill out the rest of the roster with pre-freeagent kids.

Makes me nostalgic for the Mickey Mantle $100,000 contract. :rolleyes:

Help Support Us

Become a patron