Minnesota on ESPN

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
For all the people saying Hilton wasn't loud enough last night, turn this game on and tell me who is louder, us or them? They're actually ranked too.

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
i just got back from the game. It was loud, but not even close to Hilton loud during good stretches. I realize the barn is way way smaller than Hilton, but it can get really loud. Tonight was decent.

Believe me, the fan base up here definitely isn't in love with Tubby. They don't hate him, but they really have high blood pressure and ulcers because of him.

Game was pretty darn good. Can't believe Purdue didn't put the ball in Johnson's hands more. He was so money in the first half. Kind of surprised that MN pulled it out. They stood around a lot on offense in the second half. Looked like us last year a bit.

Finally, I'm glad we didn't get Colton Iverson. I've been to several games up here and watched many more on TV. That kid is weak, scared and confused on the court. Big body, but he doesn't do anything with it. He's pretty much only good for 5 fouls. I know you guys will say we could have used him last night... or at least his fouls, but trust me I'd rather not have to deal with the black hole he is on the offensive side of the court.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Being louder then The Barn is not the measuring stick for Hilton Magic.

Only about 400 more than Hilton.

They're ridiculous by nature of being Minnesotan, though.

In the past, The Barn was the largest college basketball arena in the country with a capacity of over 18,000. Over the years there have been multiple reconfigurations for a variety of reasons to reduce the current capacity to 14,625.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Do you suppose they call it "The Barn" because they used to hold various types of farm animals in there?

TheAdmiral

Oct 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
i just got back from the game. It was loud, but not even close to Hilton loud during good stretches. I realize the barn is way way smaller than Hilton, but it can get really loud. Tonight was decent.

Believe me, the fan base up here definitely isn't in love with Tubby. They don't hate him, but they really have high blood pressure and ulcers because of him.

Game was pretty darn good. Can't believe Purdue didn't put the ball in Johnson's hands more. He was so money in the first half. Kind of surprised that MN pulled it out. They stood around a lot on offense in the second half. Looked like us last year a bit.

Finally, I'm glad we didn't get Colton Iverson. I've been to several games up here and watched many more on TV. That kid is weak, scared and confused on the court. Big body, but he doesn't do anything with it. He's pretty much only good for 5 fouls. I know you guys will say we could have used him last night... or at least his fouls, but trust me I'd rather not have to deal with the black hole he is on the offensive side of the court.

1. Tubby Smith is the best thing to happen to Minnesota Basketball since I've been alive. I don't know who you've been talking to, but everyone I know loves Tubby.

2. Colton is still a sophomore. He is only going to get stronger and more confident, and from what I've seen, he is far from a black hole. Devoe was a black hole. And if anyone on the Gophs is confused all the time its Ralph.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Id like to think so because, honestly, who have we played at home with a pulse, Cal, and now Kansas....so far this year we are 3-4 against teams with a pulse....

My gawd you are just a ray of sunshine aren't you?

The schedule is what it is. ISU's record is what it is. I don't understand why you constantly have to rip on it.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
1. Tubby Smith is the best thing to happen to Minnesota Basketball since I've been alive. I don't know who you've been talking to, but everyone I know loves Tubby.

2. Colton is still a sophomore. He is only going to get stronger and more confident, and from what I've seen, he is far from a black hole. Devoe was a black hole. And if anyone on the Gophs is confused all the time its Ralph.

I don't know just how old you are, but Clem Haskins won 10 NCAA tournament games while at Minnesota, including a Final4 trip in 1997. Sure, all hell broke loose after an acedemic scandal, but it is still hard to ignore what Minnesota was like in the mid-1990s. Tubby is a great coach, but until he has some type of NCAA tournament success, Haskins will be the guy that put Minnesota basketball on the map. Before Haskins, Minnesota had a total of 2 NCAA Tournament appearances. Haskins is to Minnesota what Orr was to ISU.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Id like to think so because, honestly, who have we played at home with a pulse, Cal, and now Kansas....so far this year we are 3-4 against teams with a pulse....

Your numbers indicate that we are 3-4 against teams you claim have a pulse:

Wins: Creighton, Iowa, Virginia

Losses: UNI, Cal, Nebraska, Kansas

How you decided to include Iowa in the "teams with a pulse" category is beyond me. They are ridiculously horrible. 7-9 does not equal having a pulse.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
For all the people saying Hilton wasn't loud enough last night, turn this game on and tell me who is louder, us or them? They're actually ranked too.

the only people who say Hilton wasn't loud Wednesday night, were people who weren't in Hilton. The crowd tried it really did, but timeouts and ku baskets kept it from being sustained. But at times it was very loud, I was proud. One of the little Hoiberg kids was covering his ears with his hands.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota

+1

There's always a vocal minority that won't be happy with a coach after 3-4 years if the team hasn't won a championship. That's the case with the Gopher fanbase. But overall, i'd say 7 out of 10 people are happy with what Tubby is doing. Myself included.

Personally, i like Ralph's game better than Colton. Colton hasn't proven to me that he can be an effective scorer at the high D1 level.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
I don't know just how old you are, but Clem Haskins won 10 NCAA tournament games while at Minnesota, including a Final4 trip in 1997. Sure, all hell broke loose after an acedemic scandal, but it is still hard to ignore what Minnesota was like in the mid-1990s. Tubby is a great coach, but until he has some type of NCAA tournament success, Haskins will be the guy that put Minnesota basketball on the map. Before Haskins, Minnesota had a total of 2 NCAA Tournament appearances. Haskins is to Minnesota what Orr was to ISU.

Gophers only had 3 NCAA appearances under Clem, and one of them was wiped off the record books. Tubby already has two in a lot less time.

Clem isn't viewed by Gopher fans like Johnny is viewed by Cyclone fans, because of the academic scandal, which was HUGE. It set the program back 10 years, and don't think that Gopher fans forget (or forgive) that. Things like coach complicity in having academic advisers write term papers for athletes just doesn't go over well in Minnesota. Nor would it, i suspect, at Iowa State or Iowa either. This ain't $EC-land.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Gophers only had 3 NCAA appearances under Clem, and one of them was wiped off the record books. Tubby already has two in a lot less time.

Clem isn't viewed by Gopher fans like Johnny is viewed by Cyclone fans, because of the academic scandal, which was HUGE. It set the program back 10 years, and don't think that Gopher fans forget (or forgive) that. Things like coach complicity in having academic advisers write term papers for athletes just doesn't go over well in Minnesota. Nor would it, i suspect, at Iowa State or Iowa either. This ain't $EC-land.

Minnesota, under Haskins, went to the NCAA tournament in 1989, 1994, 1995, 1997, and 1999. That would be 5 trips, not 3. In order to keep things fair, 3 of those trips, not just one, were later vacated. Vacated doesn't mean they are wiped off the books. Vacated means to get an cute asterisk in the record book. When a team vacates a win, it does not mean the opposing team is credited with a victory. All it does is indicate that somebody broke some rules. I don't expect Goofer fans to forgive and forget, but to say Haskins didn't build that program is just plain ignorant.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron