Minnesota Vikings

hiwhatis

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, IA
yeah, but
a) get rid of childress, like now, don't wait
b) put jackson back in, honestly do the fans need to boo him everytime he throws an incompletion, he's wayyyyyy better than furrrrrr rott and has mobility which isn't even in gus's vocabulary; really he doesn't have to do a lot hand off to AP, hand off to Chester, fake to AP run for a first down, fake to AP throw a bomb to Berrian, really with our defense it shouldn't be hard

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
yeah, but
a) get rid of childress, like now, don't wait
b) put jackson back in, honestly do the fans need to boo him everytime he throws an incompletion, he's wayyyyyy better than furrrrrr rott and has mobility which isn't even in gus's vocabulary; really he doesn't have to do a lot hand off to AP, hand off to Chester, fake to AP run for a first down, fake to AP throw a bomb to Berrian, really with our defense it shouldn't be hard

Jackson needs to be cut. By putting him back in you delay the acquistion of a legit QB.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Jackson needs to be cut. By putting him back in you delay the acquistion of a legit QB.

Helo-o-o? There won't be an acquisition of a new quarterback before the offseason anyway. Not a quality one, they don't grow on trees. May as well give Jackson a chance to show whether he's learned from his benching. And seeing the offense since, I can hardly heap the problems all on his head.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Helo-o-o? There won't be an acquisition of a new quarterback before the offseason anyway. Not a quality one, they don't grow on trees. May as well give Jackson a chance to show whether he's learned from his benching. And seeing the offense since, I can hardly heap the problems all on his head.

I was not implying they were going to get someone this season. But if you bring in Jackson and he shows some sliver of hope in one drive of one game, Childress will keep singing his praises and the Vikings will head into another season with Jackson behind center and I cannot stand that.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was not implying they were going to get someone this season. But if you bring in Jackson and he shows some sliver of hope in one drive of one game, Childress will keep singing his praises and the Vikings will head into another season with Jackson behind center and I cannot stand that.

No, they won't, because if that's all that Jackson shows, Childress won't be around when January rolls around.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Is is my imgination, or was Sunday's game 90% either

1. Hand the ball to Adrian Peterson

OR

2. Spread passing set without Peterson in the backfield, on an obvious passing down.

Serving to telegraph one way or another. I mean, I really didn't see much, if any, play action pass with Adrian in the game once or twice with Chester), especially as much as the Lions were selling out to stop him. Am I missing something?

Besides firing Childress now?

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
3-3... but should easily be 1-5 without the gifts of two really questionable pass interference calls to setup winning field goals.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Childress saves his job again. I didn't watch the game due to travel and I think I am glad I didn't. Childress offensive play calling is terrible. Something needs to change.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
My roommate and I were saying that it would be great if Al Davis decided he wanted an offensive guru like Childress, and the Raiders gave up a #1 to sign him away midseason. :wink:

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
My roommate and I were saying that it would be great if Al Davis decided he wanted an offensive guru like Childress, and the Raiders gave up a #1 to sign him away midseason. :wink:

I'm just glad they won to get back to .500, there are still problem areas offensively that need to be changed or addressed.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Childress saves his job again. I didn't watch the game due to travel and I think I am glad I didn't. Childress offensive play calling is terrible. Something needs to change.

I don't want to defend Childress too much, but APs fumble onthe one yard line cost us 7 (actually 5 due to the ensuing safety) points. He also fumble on around the 20 on a drive where the Vikes were cruising down the field. Add in a holding call on a play where Chester T. had us at first down on the oneand the blocked FG. That is a lot of points taken off the board due to lack of execution rather than play calling. Maybe still Childress' fault due to not stressing the fundamentals enough.

Also, if you blame him for a rather bland offense, you also have to give him credit for building a pretty staunch defense.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The raw offensive numbers from 10/12 are:

Total Yards 392
Passing 257
Rushing 135
TOP: 32:32

400 yds offense (despite three turnovers) is not exactly terrible, even for playing the Lions. The Vikings are 15th in total offense this year, which I find to quite amazing given the QB situation. The Vikings can move the ball. The problem appears to be sustaining drives for TDs, and turnovers. It doesn't help either that AP seems to have developed fumble-itis (in the red zone nonetheless), and to me anyway, it doesn't seem that he is running like he did last year. Another downside is that the Vikes are 11/16 in total offense in their own conference.

The Vikings are 7th in total defense overall, and 4th/16 in the NFC, so that unit is working quite well.

I doubt that firing Childress at this point of the season would accomplish anything. I think he blew it by not having a better backup in the wings if the TJ experiment failed, but he does have the defense working well, and I'm not sure what he could do to keep AP from fumbling...

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I think the playcalling in the Red Zone in particular hurts the Vikings. There is no creativity and it doesn't seem very aggressive. When you put 12 points up against the Detroit Lions I don't care how many turnovers you have something isn't right.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I think the playcalling in the Red Zone in particular hurts the Vikings. There is no creativity and it doesn't seem very aggressive. When you put 12 points up against the Detroit Lions I don't care how many turnovers you have something isn't right.

Maybe Childress is saving the good stuff for the Superbowl. :skeptical:

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
3-3... but should easily be 1-5 without the gifts of two really questionable pass interference calls to setup winning field goals.

I can't believe we got both those calls either but a Win is a Win and they are hard to come by in the NFL so like the Broncos (refs gave them the chargers game) we need to take these wins and run with them...Something to build of at least and we could be in first all alone when we face da bears next week...:notworthy:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Weaknesses?

1. Offensive line. Cook and Herrera need to be replaced.

2. Corner. Ced Griffin is a weakness in coverage.

3. Tight End. Shiancoe. 'nuff said.

4. Wide Receiver. Thin even when Rice and Berrian are healthy.

5. Quarterback. Did I say that this was a priority list? Don't think so.

New:

6. Middle Linebacker. Losing Henderson hurt

7. Safety. Is Madieu back yet? A rookie has slips, however talented.

8. Childress sucks. Oh, that's not a position, is it?