Mizzou to SEC "inevitable and imminent"

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Don't get me wrong, I'm not being the internet police, saying you can't post. That's what this **** is about. Unless it's offensive or rude, I love the open discussion with different points of view. I was merely trying to put a little perspective into an exchange that seemed to me like it was turning a little angry. I'm not a mod, I can't block you, and neither of you are being offensive, just adding my dose of what I perceived as a bit of needed levity.

With regards to his welcome, it's Iowa, we're welcoming people. We'll invite you in, give you a drink and a fresh baked cookie, and ask what brings you to town. If you start being rude, we don't start yelling back, we just stop talking other than to say "pardon my interruption, I need to get back to chores, is there anything I can help you with on your way out?"

That's illustrative. The internet version is: Don't feed the trolls.

No anger on my part and no intentions of it.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I would rather have a little less stability, a little less money, and a little less attractiveness over a guaranteed *** whoopin' every year.

do you mean a guaranteed *** whipping every conference game??

"Mizzou is making a big mistake moving to the sec, and the mu fans in kansas city are gonna pay a big price. Mizzou is gonna be the 9th best team in a 14 team league.".....quoting kevin keitzman on whb radio

cybob cant wait for those *** whippings to start next year for the mizzou-rah tiggers..:twitcy:

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

Would be very interesting to see how that would work. They would have to play 2 round of playoffs for champion.

How I would do it is to have everyone play 11 scheduled games with 8 regular season conference.

7 in division
1 against team from another division based last year's finish.

Then everyone has 12th game based on conference standings against team from a different division. That way there would be a guarantee not to play the same team.

Of course, the first place teams play for the championship.

Divisions rotate, so example for Big East
Year 1 central(scheduled), mountain(last game)
Year 2 west (scheduled), central(last game)
Year 3 mountain (scheduled), west(last game)

Since logistically, it will be difficult to schedule in advance, make last games neutral site so that locations already set. Also this would give no one unequal number of home/away and they could share gate. Also spread the 2nd to 8th place games over the last two weeks for more tv coverage.

I could see NBC/Comcast bidding for this and having game of week (or 2 when ND is not at home) on NBC. Or maybe even regional coverage on NBC. And then have 3-4 time slots on VS. Then establish an Internet platform for rest of games (like ESPN3). Not a lot of money for each team compared to other AQ, but I could see them bidding $10 million per team.

I guess if they ever lost anyone, there would be plenty of teams left.

Last edited:

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010

That would be awesome. A 32 team mega conference. I assume they'd use the MWC TV network infastructure. This conference might not be very top heavy, but the massive size would be unparalleled. It'd be like the death star.

Can you imagine having a TV inventory of 16 conference games every week? Even if half those games are trash that nobody would watch, you'd still have some quality match ups.

In the end, it wouldn't be done for TV purposes, because you'd have to split the revenue pie in 32 slices, but you'd be assured of a BCS bid.

I think realistically the only way this would happen is if the Big East lost at least 2 more teams. Just losing West Virginia/Louisville isn't going to cause the league to give into this.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I'm still holding out hope that MU can be convinced to stay. The B12 isn't a BAD option, it is just a change when they want change. There are a lot of positives to the B12 - good money, regional rivalries that are well established, they have had success, good academics, established recruiting routes.....to name a few. I just hope they see that. The midwest won't be the same without MU holding down the middle.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I'm still holding out hope that MU can be convinced to stay. The B12 isn't a BAD option, it is just a change when they want change. There are a lot of positives to the B12 - good money, regional rivalries that are well established, they have had success, good academics, established recruiting routes.....to name a few. I just hope they see that. The midwest won't be the same without MU holding down the middle.

Agreed. The more geographically split up we are from the rest of the conference is a bad thing.

All MU can feel right now is fear of losing a seat at the table, greed for more $, and ego of somebody wanting them. They can't see the value of about equal $ in the B12, the value of geographic relevancy, the importance of historical rivalries, and the importance of getting more wins.

I think they've moving out of fear more than anything else, which is pretty dangerous. I can't think of one other school that has switched conferences out of fear to a conference that makes as little sense as MU to SEC makes.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Mizzoulander- Good luck in the SEC but I think you (and Nebraska) will take a big hit to your Texas recruiting, which hopefully will be good for us. In the long run I think that will weaken both of your programs.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Agreed. The more geographically split up we are from the rest of the conference is a bad thing.

All MU can feel right now is fear of losing a seat at the table, greed for more $, and ego of somebody wanting them. They can't see the value of about equal $ in the B12, the value of geographic relevancy, the importance of historical rivalries, and the importance of getting more wins.

I think they've moving out of fear more than anything else, which is pretty dangerous. I can't think of one other school that has switched conferences out of fear to a conference that makes as little sense as MU to SEC makes.

I think the geography split is not as big of an issue as people are making it out to be. I would rather have a stable conference. We won't be stable with Missouri in it. We will be more stable with their replacement (who would want to be here).

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I think the geography split is not as big of an issue as people are making it out to be. I would rather have a stable conference. We won't be stable with Missouri in it. We will be more stable with their replacement (who would want to be here).

Exactly. If MU sticks around it will be until the Big10 comes calling in 2016ish when their contracts open again.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Check out David Ubben's take in the ESPN Big12 blog...

As questionable as I thought the A&M to the SEC move was, Mizzou moving to the SEC is exponentially more so. I get that Missouri is fed up with the Big 12. I don't blame it. It should be. But unlike Nebraska and unlike Texas A&M, there's not a home that makes some sense, a place to go where there's a game plan for success immediately and into the future. I think it will happen at Nebraska. I don't think it will at Texas A&M, though I've admitted the idea of beating out UT for recruits is reasonable, even if I don't think it will happen.

Mizzou? I just don't see it. No part of being in the SEC makes sense, other than the conference is not the Big 12. Not a recipe for success.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
That would be awesome. A 32 team mega conference. I assume they'd use the MWC TV network infastructure. This conference might not be very top heavy, but the massive size would be unparalleled. It'd be like the death star.

Can you imagine having a TV inventory of 16 conference games every week? Even if half those games are trash that nobody would watch, you'd still have some quality match ups.

In the end, it wouldn't be done for TV purposes, because you'd have to split the revenue pie in 32 slices, but you'd be assured of a BCS bid.

I think realistically the only way this would happen is if the Big East lost at least 2 more teams. Just losing West Virginia/Louisville isn't going to cause the league to give into this.

Consider that. It's one thing to split the pie 12 ways, or even 16. But 32?! If the Superconference got a TV deal like the Big 12's (which is pretty good in terms of cash), each team would have to suffice with 1/2 the TV revenue from the league that ISU gets right now. How do you keep a team that has options in the tent with a deal like that? (I'm thinking Rutgers, maybe SMU, etc.)

The hard part in terms of programming would be separating the cream from the crap. I could see that even with all those games, only a handful would be remotely compelling to watch week in and week out.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Consider that. It's one thing to split the pie 12 ways, or even 16. But 32?! If the Superconference got a TV deal like the Big 12's (which is pretty good in terms of cash), each team would have to suffice with 1/2 the TV revenue from the league that ISU gets right now. How do you keep a team that has options in the tent with a deal like that? (I'm thinking Rutgers, maybe SMU, etc.)

The hard part in terms of programming would be separating the cream from the crap. I could see that even with all those games, only a handful would be remotely compelling to watch week in and week out.

First Tier NBC
If ND is at home
Regional games - 4 each week - if ND is day game then have game it at night

If ND is not at home
Regional games - 4 each week in afternoon
1 national game in prime time

Second tier VS (NBC Sports)
4 time slots (central time)
11:00 - east game
2:30 - central game
6:00 - mountain game
9:30 - west game

That is 8-9 games a week on 1st and 2nd tier

3rd tier
Put together a conference network (use MTN as base) rest of games - games distributed regionally over cable and sub channels over satellite.

Build an Internet distribution also to broadcast games over Internet

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
How does Tigerfan feel this morning about the prospects for the remainder of the season and what the future holds???

There's one more game on the schedule for the season they should be a win. But, @OSU, @Baylor, Texas, TTU then finally KU will not treat them well. 4-8 is looking like a distinct possibility.

Tigerboard is touting the toughest schedule argument....uh...we all have to play that schedule, so their 4-8 will be the same as our 4-8 and at least we beat an OOC BCS opponent.

So....4-8 in your final Big XII go round....that screams success moving forward...how about having a coach on the hot seat two years into a new conference slate, what will that do for recruiting, facilities upgrades???? Good luck Missourah....I'll enjoy rooting against you till your irrelevant....

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
How does Tigerfan feel this morning about the prospects for the remainder of the season and what the future holds???

There's one more game on the schedule for the season they should be a win. But, @OSU, @Baylor, Texas, TTU then finally KU will not treat them well. 4-8 is looking like a distinct possibility.

Tigerboard is touting the toughest schedule argument....uh...we all have to play that schedule, so their 4-8 will be the same as our 4-8 and at least we beat an OOC BCS opponent.

So....4-8 in your final Big XII go round....that screams success moving forward...how about having a coach on the hot seat two years into a new conference slate, what will that do for recruiting, facilities upgrades???? Good luck Missourah....I'll enjoy rooting against you till your irrelevant....

True...it would have been nice to announce the move LAST year, right after beating the #1 OU on Homecoming in front of the largest crowd in College Football GameDay history (18K). I'm sure NU would have wanted to leave after beating UT in the last Big 12 CCG. Didn't happen.

You can't dictate the timing of these things. Honestly, will ANYONE remember this year's record 5 years from now, when we're happily in the SEC. Probably not.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
True...it would have been nice to announce the move LAST year, right after beating the #1 OU on Homecoming in front of the largest crowd in College Football GameDay history (18K). I'm sure NU would have wanted to leave after beating UT in the last Big 12 CCG. Didn't happen.

You can't dictate the timing of these things. Honestly, will ANYONE remember this year's record 5 years from now, when we're happily in the SEC. Probably not.
The fan base will probably die for a 4 win season in 5 years.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Yeah, you are right, believe me, we know from experience, when you are winning only 4 or 5 games season after season, they weill eventually all blurr together. At least you won't have to worry about stability.