MLB: MLB Trade deadline day

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Well, the day is here. It seems to me like it's been more active this year than the last few so maybe today will actually be fun. Blockbusters typically don't get thrown together in a few hours so it'll be interesting to see anything is out there that will move the needle. The Nats floating Harper out there at least adds some intrigue.

What's on your wish list for your team, and are you buying or selling?

I'm hoping the Cards are sellers. Mo can call them contenders all he wants, but adding a piece here and there isn't going to change the poor fundamentals, defense, and baserunning they display most nights, and he seems to be the only one that doesn't see the talent gap in position players between them and the top of the division. There's still a chance they back into the playoffs and anything can happen from there, but this team doesn't strike fear in the hearts of any opponents right now.

They don't need to burn the house down, but a some roster reconstruction is definitely in order. My dream scenario is they find somebody to give them a pack of gum and 3 used baseballs for Fowler that'll cover more than half his albatross contract. Since that'll never happen, I'd be fine if they could spin Ozuna for anything close to what they gave up for him to free up some space in the OF and see what we really have in AAA. The more likely scenario is an AL team likes JMart's bat and cost control enough to send a decent prospect our way, and maybe they deal Gyorko today. Norris could fetch a decent return and I'd be fine with moving him. From there, my guess is they hang around .500 the rest of the season, and maybe make something happen at winter meetings.

What've you got for your team? Just looking for some friendly baseball talk here.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I don't know enough about the Cubs' contract statuses etc so this is interesting to me. Obviously they'll be a big player long term player for Harper but where will that leave them as they have to pay long term for the cornerstone guys like Bryant, Rizzo, and probably Contreras and Baez? They've got plenty tied up in Heyward and I doubt they'd lose any sleep if he opts out which is more of a possibility now than it looked like the last season and a half. Darvish obviously is taking a chunk and Lester is still effective but getting older. Will they look to sign/trade for and develop some young pitching or add another expensive vet?

Has ownership/management tipped their hand as to their stance on the luxury tax? Are they averse to it or will they view it as the cost of winning? They've got the pockets and the fan/merchandise/tv money to bite off pretty much whatever they want but at the end of the day, you can't keep them all.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Tommy Pham (Cards) got traded to the Rays for 3 prospects.

I don't know anything about the prospects they got back, but I see they gave up more international pool money. They're throwing that stuff out like parade candy...not a fan of that strategy.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Tommy Pham (Cards) got traded to the Rays for 3 prospects.

Do we take that to mean the Cards are selling? Pham certainly was not putting up huge numbers, so to be able to get that return for him seems pretty good for the Cards.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I don't know anything about the prospects they got back, but I see they gave up more international pool money. They're throwing that stuff out like parade candy...not a fan of that strategy.

I have zero faith in what Mo is doing.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Do we take that to mean the Cards are selling? Pham certainly was not putting up huge numbers, so to be able to get that return for him seems pretty good for the Cards.

The players coming back are young so there may be decent upside but what I saw are the Rays 14th and 25th ranked prospects and another unranked guy. On the surface that probably looks ok, but the Cards giving up the international signing money in addition does not make this an appealing deal to me. Of course, time will be the ultimate judge.

Edit to add: I see another service that has them as the 8th and 14th ranked prospects. That would certainly dress it up some. It's a crap shoot no matter what the rankings say, and it's not like the Cards were going to get a major league ready stud for a 30 year old with bad vision.

I have zero faith in what Mo is doing.

This seems to be the sentiment of a lot of Cardinal fans right now. Historically, I've trusted his trades more than I have his free agent signings. I can live with giving up Pham, especially his poor baserunning, but some reassurance that there's an end game would be nice. Bader is a great defender but I don't see how he can be the everyday CF until he proves he can hit RHP. O'Neill needs a shot to show if he can put up numbers in the majors...lord knows we need an impact bat...but is he going to be an everyday CF defensively? That makes for a pretty poor defensive OF. Please dear God tell me we're not moving Dexter bleeping Fowler back to center! Are we going to get a look at Mercado sooner than later? There's a lot in play right now so hopefully this isn't the end of the moves.

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Everybody but Yadi should be on the block IMO. Blow this ***** up and see what we have on the minors.

For enough return I would have no problem with that. I was praying the Cards would look to turn Wacha when he got off to such a good start as I thought he could bring back some really good players given the market out there for starting pitching. Then of course his annual trip to the DL hit and that was off the table. So then I started thinking that way about CMart and, well, you can see the pattern.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This is a Fansided thing, so I don't buy any of it, but I'm going to pretend that these are legit deals the Cubs can make for Bryce Harper and say DO IT. DO IT NOW!

https://dawindycity.com/2018/07/31/chicago-cubs-trade-bryce-harper/4/

I'm really not sure I want them to trade for Harper this year. We need pitching more than another big bat for this season. And if we can just sign him next year and use those pieces to make this years pitching staff better, I think that would make more sense.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Reports are the Pirates got the deal done, but paid a hefty price, including Meadows.

This is a classic case of both teams getting what they want (and need). Meadows was blocked by Dickerson, Marte, and Polanco for the next two seasons. Glasnow couldn't crack the rotation but should get a chance in Tampa.

I'm pumped to be a Pirates fan today!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Archer.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
This is a classic case of both teams getting what they want (and need). Meadows was blocked by Dickerson, Marte, and Polanco for the next two seasons. Glasnow couldn't crack the rotation but should get a chance in Tampa.

I'm pumped to be a Pirates fan today!

You should be. Bucs made themselves better the rest of this season with cost controlled pieces that will make them a factor in the division for at least the next couple years. Tip of the hat to your front office.

Reactions: SC Cy