NA White Claw

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I saw this the other day in the liquor store going for $15/12 pack and I was just completely taken aback. What am I missing here?

Now, I'm a huge proponent of high quality NA products. I frequently consume them when I don't want booze, and it's a really nice way for a lot of people who've had substance abuse problems to stay sober but feel more apart of the social scene.

But flavored seltzer water has existed for decades. Hell, alcoholic seltzer was born from this product in the first place. And it's MUCH less expensive than $15/12 pack. It seems to me this is some of the most absurd, shameless marketing/marking up of all time. Am I the a$$hole here?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I saw this the other day in the liquor store going for $15/12 pack and I was just completely taken aback. What am I missing here?

Now, I'm a huge proponent of high quality NA products. I frequently consume them when I don't want booze, and it's a really nice way for a lot of people who've had substance abuse problems to stay sober but feel more apart of the social scene.

But flavored seltzer water has existed for decades. Hell, alcoholic seltzer was born from this product in the first place. And it's MUCH less expensive than $15/12 pack. It seems to me this is some of the most absurd, shameless marketing/marking up of all time. Am I the a$$hole here?
50 cents cheaper than the alcoholic version.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
I'm enjoying picturing the pitch meeting. How it actually left the room, is confirmation that most of the "best and brightest" (aka top management) are just faking it to make it like the rest of us.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I like white claws a little in the summer at the lake. NA would be pointless. Just drink a sprite or a normal seltzer water.

Sprite has way more calories and I actually don’t like most seltzers.

That said I would never buy this.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I remember several years ago seeing Old Milwaukee NA and thought... "do people actually drink that for the taste?" A NA White Claw would only be marginally different.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

My wife and I like trying NA stuff and keep some options around for when we want to not drink but want something and we saw that and had the same reaction. There are some really good seltzer waters for a fraction of that price.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I remember several years ago seeing Old Milwaukee NA and thought... "do people actually drink that for the taste?" A NA White Claw would only be marginally different.
I've bought OM NA and it's awful (and I'm a fan of real OM). The Heineken 0, Bud 0, and anything from Athletic Brewing are really good. I actually like the taste of beer quite a bit, so I have lots of uses for them. Basically, there are enough times where I want a beer but I either don't want to be buzzed or can't be buzzed and they hit the spot.

Reactions: aobie

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I've bought OM NA and it's awful (and I'm a fan of real OM). The Heineken 0, Bud 0, and anything from Athletic Brewing are really good. I actually like the taste of beer quite a bit, so I have lots of uses for them. Basically, there are enough times where I want a beer but I either don't want to be buzzed or can't be buzzed and they hit the spot.
The sam Adams hazy is my favorite NA I've had. If you like hazys

Reactions: Al_4_State

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Rather than a white claw, why not just get a regular seltzer water and drop a shot of rum or vodka in it?

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Good god. Why. I can’t even drink the alcoholic version
The first swig isn't bad (assuming it's a hot day and the White Claw is ice cold), but it goes downhill really quickly from there. I'm not a drink snob, but the seltzers I've tried so far give me the same aftertaste as really cheap beer (I mean really cheap) to some degree.

• Love
Reactions: cycloneML

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I do mix in NAs when I'm boating. Athletic makes good ones.
If I wanted an NA seltzer I'd just buy Waterloos. I'm overall not much of a seltzer guy but I like Waterloo brand.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I don’t think I’ve ever tried a NA beer, just unnecessary calories for me. Personally if I’m not drinking coffee, beer or whiskey it’s straight water with an occasional Diet Coke.