NCAA Tournament an Expectation for ISU?

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I just got done reading Randy Peterson's latest blog on the Des Moines Register's website.

Peterson about this year's Iowa State team and the NCAA tournament.

My Take: I think it is safe to say that we all think this can can make the Dance. But is that a reasonable expectation based off of what we saw last year?

Granted, this roster looks totally different than the one a year ago. That's what makes things so excited for fans...the unknown. But to expect an NCAA tournament birth...do you guys think that is fair?

Personally, I do. This team is loaded with talent. To me, the key for this team to really take off with be point guard play. I'm not even talking about Diante Garret either. I really want to see Dominique Buckley and Chris Colvin emerge so Garret can get to the wing. I don't want to see him there all of the time, but I want the option to be in Mac's back pocket. I think that will give this offense an explosion factor that we haven't seen before.

Just a few quick thoughts. What do you guys think?

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
McDermott better hope it happens. This is going to be his best shot.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
This team has 10x's the talent of any of his UNI teams and the past 3 years can be forgotten for a run in the tourney. If McD can't do it with this squad, don't think he will ever do it at ISU.

Remember a few years back, where us fans didn't think of making the tourney as an obtainable goal, but the goal was to win the Big 12, make sweet 16 runs, flirt with a final four............now we HOPE ISU finishes in the top half of the conference.

This is the year for McD to build a base of bringing us back to our old expectations.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I expect it. Injuries are the only excuse for me...it's what I fear.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Totally expected. I'm completely all-in on this team and am pumped. Can't wait for the season to start and it should be an exciting season. I keep hearing the style of play is going to have a faster tempo now that we look to have the players to support it and more depth.

It's NCAA tournament or bust this year - period.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I absolutely expect it. If McD doesn't make it, he needs to be fired. You have to make it with this talent. If he doesn't, he can't coach in the Big XII. Placing 7-12 year after year is unacceptable.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but with the amount of talent on this team, if everyone stays healthy and we fail to make the tournament, Greg McDermott will never get it at done at ISU and is a bad coach. Hilton Magic will completely die as we are forced to ride out the rest of his mega contract (one thing Pollard really screwed up).

If this team goes to the tournament it means that McDermott ISN'T over his head, and is a good coach taking the program in the right direction.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If he can't do it this year then I have to wonder if he ever can... Next year, especially if we don't get Barnes, could be a very long year again.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Put me in the "If not now, then when?" crowd. We lose Brackins and Gilstrap (most likely) next year and while we have some good recruits coming in, we will be young again.

This is likely McDermott's most talented team EVER as a coach. And I have faith in him that he will accomplish a lot of things this year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree about "if not now, when" playing a role - but I really look at it from a talent sense - not a hypothetical "it may never happen with Greg" view. That doesn't really relate to this season as far as on-court performance.

I want our staff to know this is a key season but on the other hand, I'd rather they not be looking over their shoulder and pressing to win.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Imo it depends on a few variables.

1. Imo- overall the Big 12 is down in depth other than KU & UT (which may be the strongest top 2 the Big 12 has ever had)
-OU will take a step back
-KSU is a bit of a wildcard, but still solid none the less
-I think Mizzou, OSU, A&M, & ISU are all somewhere thereafter.

2. We need our PG to be a threat to hit a wide open three at the top of the key. This will keep defenses honest and force matchup problems on CB

3. Slashing ability from the 2 spot. This did not exist last year. Slashing will open up the middle of the d and provide more looks for CB

4. Second big man stepping up and owning the boards. Defensive boards are an absolute must! Weren't we one of the worst defensive rebounding teams in the Big 12 last year? We cannot afford to let teams get second chances like we did last year.

I think the dance is a somewhat reasonable expectation if a few of the above mentioned pieces fall into place, imo most importantly being DG being able to hit a wide open shot from the top of the key.

Last edited:

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
I don't see us going from no postseason, not even any of the lowly tournaments, to an NCAA bid. I wish I could think the way you guys do, but I just don't see it, even with an NBA player (who can only dominate on one end of the floor). Wildcards being Gilstrap and Christopherson as I haven't seen their game. In the past we haven't been able to stop the dribble drive and I assume we still won't be able to.

Reactions: j4state

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yes. This team is more athletic than last year and CB should have a helper. I feel this team was close in some games last year and just need a few point and few rebounds here and there to make it a much better team. I think those issues have been addressed.

cjclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 22, 2006
I just got done reading Randy Peterson's latest blog on the Des Moines Register's website.

Granted, this roster looks totally different than the one a year ago. That's what makes things so excited for fans...the unknown. But to expect an NCAA tournament birth...do you guys think that is fair?

I think you accidentally used the wrong word but it really said what could happen.:yes:

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
This team has 10x's the talent of any of his UNI teams and the past 3 years can be forgotten for a run in the tourney. If McD can't do it with this squad, don't think he will ever do it at ISU.

Remember a few years back, where us fans didn't think of making the tourney as an obtainable goal, but the goal was to win the Big 12, make sweet 16 runs, flirt with a final four............now we HOPE ISU finishes in the top half of the conference.

This is the year for McD to build a base of bringing us back to our old expectations.

Totally agree here. In the early 2000s Iowa State just dominated this conference. We were spoiled. We had NBA talent....agressive coaching and the best fans in the country at Hilton. We have NBA talent again this year and players capable to win games this season. (Why not shoot for the stars again? Fizer's Jr. year was freaking fantastic....Brackins needs to be that way as well.) We need to take care of business at home BIG TIME this year, and get our fair share on the road.

If Gmac can't get it going with this squad...the B12 was probably too big for him. But, I don't see it happening this year. He has the talent....now he has to lead these guys to victory and the NCAA Tourney in March. Anything less will be an absolute dissapointment.

Go Clones!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron